https://www.duolingo.com/guillaume.92

Dutch reading material

guillaume.92

Hi everyone !

I'm not sure this post has its place here, but since it concerns learning Dutch, I thought I'd give it a try here.

I’m a language student from Belgium. I’m studying to become a teacher and will be finishing very soon. I’m busy developing a website to help French students learn Dutch and English. On my website you can find:

• Articles about how to learn a language affectively

• Articles on grammar with exercises

• Self-made material : I'm translating VieDeMerde (French equivalent of FuckMyLife) to Dutch with a translation and grammar and vocab explanation. I'm also doing the same with very short novels for beginner and intermediate levels

• And probably most important, articles gathering language resources of all kinds (Youtube channels, Facebook pages, websites, book references, smartphone apps, for a variety of languages. The Dutch article contains almost 100 references.

Everything is explained in French, but I plan on adding translations in English and Dutch in a near future.

I would be especially interested in hearing your feedback regarding the novels in Dutch. I'm focusing on it a lot for now and am publishing one per week. I'd like to improve them so they can help learners as much as possible. If anyone can come up with any idea that could improve the usefulness and potential of these novels, I'd be delighted to hear it!

Here is the website: guillaumelp.wordpress.com There is also a brand new Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Le-n%C3%A9erlandais-simplifi%C3%A9-1653030998058102/

1 year ago

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Souillure

Overall, I'm not entirely sure how useful this will be for the people parsing it here (I'm not sure how many people studying Dutch here already speak French), but for me personally, I found it quite useful, just taking a quick glance at it. The notes at the bottom of the stories were really handy, it was nice to have the level of the text (as in A2, B1) known upfront so you can sort of gauge where your own level is, the format was good for easy comparison between the Dutch and French versions, and the content of the stories wasn't too boring, either. I must say, though, I'd personally prefer both parts to be on the same image, if possible; I find that it's much easier to use that way.

Went over to check a few articles on the main site, started with " Retenir du vocabulaire en quelques secondes " (as an aside, I wouldn't say "Warning" at the top because that suggests, to me, that it's a bad thing you're warning us about; I'd prefer "note" personally), you provided lots of examples for your method (it's a good method!), but, me personally, I'd probably use examples that people could actually use for themselves, if that makes sense; your site doesn't seem to really cater to learning Polish, mainly to Dutch, English, etc, so I would use examples that would also be effective for people to really use so they can really get the hang of it. In the same vein, I also wouldn't post the interlingual ones using more than two languages, simply because people may not know all of the languages you use for your explanation, so it's a bit awkward for them to totally understand/use your example, though it's still a good idea to do in your head, of course.

Overall, though, a pretty good article!

Went on to the next one, " Parler une langue en quelques mois " , and damn, that was a bloody AMAZING article! Great examples, helpful content, sources, CHARTS - overall, excellent work, and I can see why you've put in the effort to translate it so often.

I just skimmed over the English version of the article, and it's definitely easy to read and there aren't glaringly bad errors, but there are some small ones, like, for example: "Actually, the answer is both simple and logic" - "C'est logique" does not work in English, you'd instead say "logical" - these errors are quite small, though, and don't really impact readability, it just looks a bit silly.

Bah, I wrote way more than I had planned, but in general, this is a pretty good site you've made, and I'll definitely bookmark it for later. Great job!

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/guillaume.92
guillaume.92

Thanks a lot, Souillure, this type of feedback is really valuable to me! Regarding the example for Dutch vocabulary, you're right. The reason I put Polish examples instead of Dutch ones is that I already studied some Polish and found good mnémonics to study that vocabulary. I also find it harder to find examples in Dutch. It's strange but it's harder for me to find mnemonics for words I already know, but I should work on that again ;)

Thanks for your encouraging answer! Very motivating! ^^

1 year ago
Learn Dutch in just 5 minutes a day. For free.