"Change what you can change!"

Translation:Change ce que tu peux changer !

August 13, 2017

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/nicholas_ashley

The relative pronoun ce que is used in sentences where there is no expressed antecedent (see definition at the end of this explanation). In other words the relative pronoun doesn't refer to a specific noun.

to illustrate this concept consider the following two sentences

Ce n'est pas le livre que j'ai commandé. - It isn't the book I ordered
In this sentence que is acting as a relative pronoun and has an antecedent, namely the book

Ce n'est pas ce que j'ai commandé - It's not what I ordered.
In this sentence ce que is acting as a relative pronoun and is used instead of que because the relative pronoun does not have an antecedent

examples of the use of the relative pronoun ce que

ce n’est pas ce que je veux It is not what I want
Je comprends ce qu'elle fait I understand what she is doing
Je ne comprends pas ce que ça veux dire I don’t understand what it means
personne ne sait ce que c’est Nobody knows what it is
vous voulez m’expliquer ce que vous voulez dire Will you explain to mean what it means
C'est ce que je voulais être quand j'avais douze. It is what I wanted to be when I was 12 years old

definition of antecedent

An antecedent is the word (or words) that a pronoun refers to. Typically, the antecedent of a pronoun is a noun or a noun phrase. Despite the name, an antecedent does not always come before its pronoun.

examples

When you see the professor, please tell him I'll be 10 minutes late this evening. In this example, the antecedent is professor. It is the word that the pronoun him refers to. The word professor comes before the pronoun him.

When you see him, please tell the professor I'll be 10 minutes late this evening.

Mary called to say she will arrive soon. (In this example, Mary is the antecedent of the personal pronoun she.)

The man who lives next door lost his driving licence. (In this example, man is the antecedent of the relative pronoun who

John, did you see the fish which Louise caught? (In this example, John is the antecedent of the personal pronoun you, and fish is antecedent of the relative pronoun which.)

August 13, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/LinuxTak

I didn't get it.

And why not my answer 'Change que tu peux changer' got accepted ?

February 3, 2018
Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.