1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: French
  4. >
  5. Correct answer for translatin…


Correct answer for translating "the bathroom"

In the question "Translate “the bathroom”. I answered with "La salle de bain" Duo said it is wrong and their answer is "Les toilettes". Doesn't this technically mean "the toilettes"? Granted it is used for "bathroom" the way we use it in English, but isn't "La salle de bain" the more correct answer? At minimum shouldn't they accept this answer.?

August 14, 2017



Thanks for the responses ! So if you say "La salle de bain" in France they will think you want to take a bath but not have to go ....ahh... use the toilet...? :) Maybe this is a point of confusion because our English use of bathroom is idiomatic...


To add what the others have said, toilets and bathtubs are generally in different rooms in French homes. In public places, most people asking for a bathroom/restroom are actually looking for a toilet. So, technically "la salle de bains" should be accepted for "bathroom" but you should use "toilettes" in a French speaking country when looking for a restroom, loo, washroom, or the facilities. http://www.signzoom.com/assets/images/hyk/D-23F.jpg


La salle de bain refers to a literal bathroom - a room where you can take a bath, i.e., a room with a bathtub or a shower. If it's just a room with toilets (and hopefully a sink), that would be les toilettes.

[deactivated user]

    good point


    There is a discussion about this in the French forum . If I remember correctly " les toilettes " is what they say in France for " the bathrooms" You can probably search for it , it is rather in depth.


    (la) toilettes and (le) VC are what is used while speaking. VC is probably more frequent than toilettes in spoken language. "Je vais aux VC et je pars"

    Toilettes and VC are always plural.

    WC is often written on public toilets. http://static.skynetblogs.be/media/13290/dyn003_original_400_323_jpeg_2554505_38907f71804bd91d2376eb61de414c3d.jpg

    Toilet paper is commonly referred to as PQ, the short version of "Papier cul" (literally ass paper). What is rather funny is papier cul is not very polite, but PQ is the normal expression. Papier toilettes is the formal name of this item.



    To clear up any misunderstanding on this one, the acronym for toilet is written « WC » (taken from the English "Water Closet"), and is pronounced « Vécé ». :)

    Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.