https://www.duolingo.com/profile/HA.30

problem about was and wer, any persians?

Hi everybody can you help me with four cases of "was" and "wer" ? I'm learning German from English but I'm not a native speaker so I have trouble understanding the exact meaning of things like "genitive object" or "indirect object" although I've checked the dictionary . specially i don't understand the difference between "genitive object" and "dative case" for "was". actually I don't know what are they exactly in English . any persians here to describe them for me in persian? if not, can you describe their meaning in English? thank you !

August 18, 2017

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/MortiBiRD

A genitive object is a noun that has to follow after a certain verb that "forces" the genitive to follow. They are quite rare. Example: Ich verdächtige ihn eines Verbrechens. The genitive object is eines Verbrechens and gets caused by the verb verdächtigen.

Wer and was are pronouns (depending on the context either interrogative, relative or indefinite pronouns). They are something totally different from the genitive object. Most common appearence might be questionsentence. Wer bist du? Was isst du?
Wer asks for a person (he or she), was asks for a thing or neuter (it). This word gets a inflection depending on what youre asking. Wer bist du? Wen schlägst du? Wem schickst du den Brief? Wessen Zimmer ist das? Wessen is the Genitiv of Wer.

To the confusion about the cases. I googled a few explanations for germans that want to learn persian. If I can believe the sources that I read. You have the same 4 cases in persian. Nominativ, Akkusativ, Dativ and Genitiv so I suggest to rather make the connection between your mother language and german without english, because english doesnt have this casus system. Despite the "extra usages" for the casi, the basic usage should be the same. So (I can just use the latin alphabet I hope its still understandable):

Nominativ: die Frauen; khanoom-ha

Akkusativ: die Frauen; khanoom-ha-ra (in this german example they look the same as nominative, but its the same difference in its meaning)

Dativ: den Frauen; be khanoom-ha

Genitiv: das Haus der Frauen; khaneye khanoom-ha (This is the basic Genitiv in german, a genitive object is a special thing that only appears after special verbs)

Last but not least. Many verbs can have or need an object to make sense. In german, most verbs have either an Akkusativobjekt (here often called direct object) or a Dativobjekt (here often called indirect object) or both. Er liebt sie (only an Akkusativobjekt; sie is the "receiver of the action" and er "does the action"). Ich kaufe ihm einen Ball (both Akkusativobjekt and Dativobjekt; Ich does the action thats why its the subject, einen Ball is the direct object / Akkusativobjekt it is the maintarget of the action, ihm is another object but its not realyl part of the action and therefore its called indirect object and comes here as Dativobjekt). German knows more kinds of objects but these, so its not only "direct" and "indirect". Which objects can or have to follow is determined by the verb. That a genitive follows as object is rare and there might be 20 verbs that come with this, maybe they are fewer.

August 18, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/HA.30

Fantastic! Thank you very much! Really helped :-)

August 19, 2017
Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.