Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/davidvdb

Tree 2.0!

davidvdb

Goed nieuws, allemaal!

After a year and a half of work, the Dutch Tree 2.0 is finally ready to be A/B-tested. This means that 50% of you should already see the new tree. We’re very proud of it and think it is a huge improvement over the original course, which was launched in the summer of 2014 as the first Incubated course for English speakers. Some of the new features:

• Over a thousand new words.
  • Many thousands of new sentences. We tried to be thorough when adding translations, but of course there will be some answers missing. Use the report button to let us know.
  • Smaller skills (max. 6 lessons) with smaller lessons (max. 6 new words).
  • More grammar-specific skills with Tips & Notes, especially early in the course: niet vs geen, je vs jij, word order, etc. Tips & Notes are unfortunately not available on your mobile. We will try to compile them all into grammar posts on the forum.
  • Many changes in the order of skills. Some small, some large.

Tree 2.0 FAQ

How long will the A/B test last?\ We don’t know, it depends on how clear the results are. Hopefully no more than a couple of weeks. This is not our call, by the way: the developers interpret the data and make the decision.

Will I lose my progress from the old tree?\ No, Duolingo will remember which words you already know. However, you will lose your trophy if you have it and most skills will require you to take one or more lessons with new words.

I want to try the new tree right away, can you put me in the test group?\ No, we are not able to move anyone between test groups. If you want a sneak peek, you could make a new account and hope for the new tree.

Can I do anything to help the new tree pass the A/B test?\ Whatever you do, it is unlikely to have a statistically significant effect on the results. However, the test mostly measures retention rates. So if you get the new tree, don’t get intimidated or discouraged. Give it a fair chance!

Are there bonus skills in the new course?\ No, we are still not able to add bonus skills.

What about the Words tab or the Fluency meter?\ We are not in a position to add these features to the website.

Where can I give feedback on the new tree?\ We will be reading this thread. For comments about particular exercises, use the report button.

Veel leerplezier,

Team Dutch

11 months ago

190 Comments