"Tu vorbești cu tine însuți."
Translation:You talk to yourself.
August 30, 2017
10 CommentsThis discussion is locked.
This discussion is locked.
What is the role of "insuti" and how is this different from Tu vorbesti cu tine?
Its role is as a strengthener used to emphasize the fact that the speaker and the listener are one and the same. I suppose it's passable to omit the strengthener for the 1st and for the 2nd person, but you need to use the strengthener for the 3rd person. Here are a few examples:
- "Eu vorbesc cu tine." = "I talk to you."
- "Eu vorbesc cu mine (însumi)." = "I talk to myself."
- "Tu vorbești cu mine." = "You talk to me."
- "Tu vorbești cu tine (însuți)." = "You talk to yourself."
- "El vorbește cu el." = "He talks to him." (him being some other guy!)
- "El vorbește cu el însuși." = "He talks to himself."
I didn't cover feminine/plural combinations, but hopefully this was enough to illustrate the point.
THANK YOU! I don't know why this section doesn't have a "hints" introduction. I feel like we are thrown to the wolves.