What's the difference?
What's the difference between drinnen, herein, hinein, and rein? Same for draußen etc.
September 7, 2017
- drinnen = inside. For example, when you are inside a house. Location.
- innen = on the inside. Especially for things that are attached to the wall -- e.g. you might say that a house is blue on the inside, because the blueness is on the walls, not in the middle of the room. Das Haus ist innen blau. Location.
- herein = towards the inside and towards the speaker. Destination of movement.
- hinein = towards the inside and away from the speaker. Destination of movement.
- rein = either of the two above, i.e. for movement towards the inside of something, regardless of whether it's towards the speaker or away from them. Destination of movement.
Similarly for draußen / außen / heraus / hinaus / raus.