https://www.duolingo.com/hanspersson

What are your goals with the languages you study?

What's your goal and ambition level for learning the language(s) that you are currently learning? Do you want to become a fluent speaker eventually, are you just interested in the language as a curiosity or is it just a tool to get at the culture and literature of the country? Or perhaps something else completely?

As for me:

• German: Primarily I'd like to become a fluent reader (since I subscribe to a German magazine and follow German Facebook groups). I'd also like to be able to communicate freely. To me, this means that I'd like to be able to write and speak without thinking too much and to be understood, even though what I say and write may not be completely correct (as long as it's understandable).

• Swedish: This is my native language, so I've done this course just to see what it contained.

• English (from German): I know English well above Duolingo levels, so this is purely to squeeze out more German, not to practice English.

• French: I've started the French course from English since I'd like to be able to understand written French (which is quite some way off, yet). Recently, I also started the French course from German since that allows me to practice two languages at once.

• Welsh: I started this course to get a feel for the language, not really thinking that I would ever finish the course.

• Japanese: It would be fun to be able to read Japanese but I'm not sure if I'll ever put in enough time to get there.

• High Valyrian: This is just to see how the language works. I watch the show and I like languages, so why not? It's a short tree so I hope to finish it eventually, even though I'm taking it very slowly.

• Norwegian: I'm not really planning to learn Norwegian but since it's very close to my native Swedish I thought I'd try it a bit to see how far I could get just from my Swedish knowledge. (Norwegian is perfectly possible to read for a Swede even without a course.)

September 12, 2017

27 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/DaphneTheSnail

I want to study African Languages and Literature in college to become better in Swahili. Once I reach a good level of fluency, I really want to go to Tanzania. Hopefully I can teach English to the Swahili speakers and teach Swahili to English speakers back in America. I also really want to help the poor people in Tanzania, specifically the orphans. Then I want to adopt there.

Wow that's a lot of stuff. I really have this all planned out XD

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/Lemniscatarum

You have some good goals! Good luck and may you succeed!

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/PSLHelstrom

Norwegian: I'm 25% or so Norwegian and I've never visited Norway before, so it's a heritage language for me that I love. I'm learning Bokmål, and from there, I'll probably try Nynorsk outside of Duolingo. (Goal: B1/B2)

German: I'm also ~ 25% German, so I'm also learning it as a heritage language. I'm working for a university degree in the sciences, and typically German (or French) is recommended for such a goal. (Goal: C2)

Swedish: I was born in Sweden and apparently I spoke only Swedish up until the age of 3. I'm trying to learn it again, so I can use it when I visit family there. (Goal: B1/B2)

French: As a teenager, my favorite novels were authored by Jules Verne (who was French), and I've wanted to read the originals in French. (Goal: C1)

Portuguese: I'm 50% (European) Portuguese, and I currently live with family that fluently alternate between Portuguese and English. They've lived in Brazil before, so if I finally get around to learning Portuguese on Duolingo, they could understand me. (Goal: C2)

Esperanto: I'm using it to speed up and enhance my understanding of Romance languages. There are benefits to learning it, so I've added it to my list. (Goal: A2?)

Irish: I've learned about its endangered status and decided to try it out. I don't know how far I'm going to go with it. Also, I want to visit Ireland someday. (Goal: A1/A2)

Danish: I live in California, close enough to the self-proclaimed Danish capital of America, Solvang. I recently visited on my birthday and I've acquired a passion to learn Danish. (Also, I've visited Denmark as a child and I'd love to go back.) (Goal: B1/B2)

Spanish: As mentioned, I live in California. It was mandatory for me to learn Spanish in high school. I'm taking it on Duolingo to brush up my skills, which I have to use every now and then, due to the large number of Spanish-only speakers in the area. (Goal: B1)

Welsh: Hard to explain this one... I just really, really like how Welsh looks and sounds. (Goal: A1/A2)

Dutch: Hard to explain this one too... I guess it's just a lot of fun. (Goal: A1/A2)

Italian: It's the closest I can get to learning Latin. (For now.) I'm interested in history, so I'm learning it to (partially) understand classical literature. (Goal: B1)

Japanese: I've been surrounded by Japanese culture growing up even though I'm not Japanese. Almost everyone I know is an enthusiast of anime and/or popular culture. However, I'm much more interested in the traditional/historical culture. I took a college course in Japanese, and eventually I plan to obtain a minor. (Goal: C1)

Russian: My interest in Slavic languages is recent... I've been encouraged by many people to learn Russian, so I've started to. (Goal: A2)

Vietnamese: I wanted to try a tonal language and I ended up loving it. (Goal: A2)

Swahili: One of my best friends in university was from Kenya and he taught me some Swahili. I want to visit him in Africa someday. He's working between Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. (Goal: B1)

High Valyrian: My spouse recently introduced me to Game of Thrones. I'm hooked. (Goal: A1)

Greek: Similar to Italian, I want to learn classical literature. Also, Greek mythology is fascinating. (Goal: A1)

Polish: It seems a bit more challenging than Russian, so I'm trying it out. (Goal: A1)

Turkish: I took an Arabic class in college, and we referenced the Turkish language a lot. That sparked my interest. (Goal: A1)

Hungarian: Practicing an Uralic language until the Finnish course hopefully arrives. (Goal: N/A)

Ukrainian: Originally I was learning it to practice the Cyrillic alphabet, but now it's just part of the collection of Slavic languages that I'm trying out, which I may or may not learn to any level of conversational fluency. (Goal: A1)

Romanian: Hard to explain this one... It's also hard to develop an interest. I may or may not keep learning it. (Goal: N/A)

Czech: Hard to determine what I think of it since it recently came out, but I am definitely far more interested in Slavic languages than I once was. (Goal: A2)

Hebrew: As mentioned earlier, I took an Arabic course in college, and we actually cross-compared many Arabic words to Hebrew, and there were many that had similarities. However, I am having immense difficulties understanding the alphabet. (It's not the lack of vowels -- it's the similar forms of the letters.) I have no real reason to learn Hebrew in itself, so I'm reconsidering it. (Goal: N/A)

Korean: Just trying it out for now. (Goal: N/A)

English: I was checking out the English from Spanish course. I'm not working on any reverse trees for now. (Goal: N/A)

Catalan: Also just checking it out. (Goal: N/A)

Guarani: I haven't learned any languages indigenous to the Americas. I'm hoping to invest more into it, but I have no idea when/if I'm going to South America, so for now it's on the backburner. (Goal: N/A)

Bam. That is how you can have a purpose behind almost all of the languages available on Duolingo, no matter how insane or impossible it may seem to get up to A2 in 20 different languages.

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/isnottogive

Excuse me while I look at your list in awe for quite a long moment. O.O (And I thought my list was long!!)

September 12, 2017

Color me impressed!

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/CarlosLM.

Well, my approach to language learning is rather passive, based on the ideas of the professor Stephen Krashen or the polyglot Steve Kaufmann, and my main goal is to get to the point of "fluent understanding" in many languages (Portuguese, Italian, French, German, Russian, Esperanto, Lidepla, Catalan, Swedish, Chinese or Japanese, maybe Turkish, Arabic...) instead of being a fluent speaker of one or two. I think that this is a good way to get a good base, and that if the necessity arises, I would be able to get to a acceptable speaking fluency in a relatively short time.

By the way, my mother tongue is Spanish (I'm from Spain) and I'm happy with my English level, although it took me many years to have a decent listening comprehension. The reason is that unfortunately, I received a bad education in English since we hardly did a listening and back then we didn't have Internet to escape from the Spanish "golden cage". So I learnt the lesson, and for every new language at the beginning I make a great effort in learning proper pronunciation, and along the way I try always to hear, understand and repeat, instead of only reading what it's being said. One example of success is Portuguese, as it was taking me a great effort to understand only a gist of what being was said by Brazilians (e.g. Portuguese Duolingo Stories, or in Youtube), so I took the Duolingo Portuguese from Spanish tree and I recently finished it, and suddenly I can understand most of what is being said and enjoy the language.

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/MissCamden
  1. swedish: no specific goal. gonna finish the tree soon. at this point i have no plan to take my knowledge beyond the basics taught on duolingo. i do love this language and may decide to pursue it more seriously in the future.

2. spanish: doing some low effort maintenance on duo. i need to go back to reading books and watching shows in spanish. not a priority.

3. german: i wanna be able to read thomas mann. currently reading german translations of my fav fantasy series.

4. russian: i have had to seriously lower my goals in order not to give up so for now? finishing the tree & the 7 memrise courses. i'll reevaluate once it is done.

5. greek: currently on hiatus. no goals beyond completing the tree.

September 12, 2017

Let me know if you have questions about Swedish!

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/calynca

For me learning languages is just a hobby which brings me closer to the culture of a country. That's why I'm not studying mainstream languages like Spanish or French, but concentrate on less "useful" ones.

My goals are: Norwegian: fluency, kind of. I don't need to get perfect, but I'd like to one day be able to communicate about hva som helst without people having to slow down for me. (currently: reading without dictionaries, verbally communicating slowly and carefully about all kind of topics)

Swedish: being able to communicate and read it well. Accidently adding some Norwegian words once in a while is okay for me, it would be almost impossible to avoid. (currently: reading slowly without dictionary, verbal communication needs to be super slow and clear and I'm mixing in a lot of Norwegian)

Finnish: being able to read it with some patience and to communicate with people if they speak extra slowly. (currently: vocabulary of 500+ and some medium knowledge of grammar, so far I'm mostly catching up single words or parts of sentences)

Italian: being able to communicate verbally in various parts of Italy. (currently: I learned it at school but forgot a lot of vocabulary and part of the grammar, not used to spoken language. I can understand it if people talk slowly (haha, Italians!), but am having a really hard time expressing my own thoughts)

I'd be super happy if all of those would work. I doubt there'll ever be room again for an additional language.

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/aprilkeati

My goal in Spanish is to improve my fluency to an advanced level and writing skills in the language. I'm pretty comfortable in it and can watch tv and movies, hold conversations comfortably and read for leisure. I'll probably do a C1 class next year having worked through all of Netflix telenovelas this year.

My short term goal in French is to be at a real intermediate level read my first adult books and improve my listening and conversation skills.

The ultimate goal is to be as comfortable in French as I am now in Spanish before starting another language.

Unlike a lot of people here I don't think I can study more than two languages at a time. I get confused enough by two languages and it takes me quite a while for things to sink in although I'm finding it easier second time around.

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/ReturnOfTheDuo

Which telenovelas did you watch on Netflix? Any good ones that you can recommend? I am still a principiante en espanol. I have seen the series Las chicas del cable season 1, it's not bad, and I can use the subtitles so that helps.

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/aprilkeati

Anything and everything. And A LOT on narcotraficantes which seems to be the no1 subject out of Spanish speaking America. I sometimes wonder if I may slip into very street Spanish after all that.

I liked la Club de Cuevas, La Dona, el Chema, la Reina del Sur etc. But I wish that they would hurrry up and add el Ministerio del Tiempo as that is a very good and educational series as it teaches you so much about Spains past at the same time as being fun to watch.

September 12, 2017

Hahaha, yeah the narcotraficantes stories are popular these days aren't they? It's just as important to learn the 'street' lingo, so it might be worth investing in them. ;-) Gracias por las sugerencias. I might try La Reina del Sur again. I watched the first couple of episodes a while ago, the storyline and language was engaging enough, but yeah, telenovelas are long. Yes for el Ministerio del Tiempo, I have heard of this show, I hope they'll add it soon too.

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/skyflakes95

Spanish - I'd like to reach fluency to the point at which I can communicate well and naturally without too much conscious effort, both in casual and professional settings. I have a lot of friends who speak Spanish and I consume a lot of Spanish language media in my leisure, but I also work in human services in areas with a lot of Spanish speakers.

Portuguese, Italian, and French - I just want to be able to understand these languages when I hear or read them, and to be able to speak well enough to get by as a tourist one day. I also take some Duolingo courses between these languages and Spanish to help me with Spanish without having English in the equation.

Tagalog (off Duolingo) - It's a heritage language for me and I want to get to a level somewhere between my goals for Spanish and my goals for Portuguese, Italian, and French. I can already understand speech pretty well when I have context, but I struggle with reading, writing, and speaking it myself.

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/rockerbox

Spanish - To be able to speak it to native speakers without sounding like a complete and total idiot. Just a minor idiot, I suppose.

French - To know a few words to impress others.

Japanese - To be able to speak and write it well enough that I could survive in Japan without relying on English.

Korean - I honestly have no idea... perhaps to just be able to understand a few words of K-pop songs?

Wow, rockerbox, you've got such concrete goals.

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/Lemniscatarum

Czech is a Slavic language, so that will help me learn Serbian a little, since Czech and Serbian's vocabularies are quite similar.

Compare:

CZ - syr, SE - sir

CZ - my jsmo, SE - mi smo

I'm learning French because I think I'm good at it and I'd like to see how much I'll improve in French.

September 12, 2017

In general I have always had an interest in other languages. I enjoy the challenges of learning languages and find it a good way to meet new people and make friends. But I also would like to travel, so some of the languages I am learning are in preparation for future travel.

Spanish: I was following a TV series in Spanish and thought it might be fun to learn. I really enjoy learning Spanish now, and hoping to be intermediate level in future and be able to read novels. Eventually I want to go to Spain, Central and South America, so I would like to be fluent enough to be understood while travelling. Russian: I found the alphabet Cyrillic interesting and thought why not learn it. I also find the Russian history, arts and culture very interesting. It would be good to get to Intermediate level, but that will be a long way off. I would love to do the Trans-Siberian Rail trip, so again, a future travel investment. French: Tried learning it over ten years ago. Lost interest, but now because of learning Spanish, the motivation is back. I am laddering, meaning that I am learning French from the Spanish tree....it is confusing sometimes but still fun. Japanese: I have been to Japan, but would like to explore more of the culture and country. A friend who is a teacher of Japanese/English has just come back after living there for over a decade is willing to help me learn. So I am motivated to learn it, although it is definitely challenging. I am aiming for the high beginner level, just enough get around in the country should I visit it again. Korean: I have been there and have prior learning in this language. But it has been so long since I learned it that my levels in speaking and listening are terrible. I can write and read the alphabet, but the vocabulary has definitely shrunk. So this is a refresher course to dust off the cobwebs.

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/belstar128

I want to be able to understand everything in the ones im trying to learn but it seems like actually speaking a different language is way harder than reading so im not sure if i can get to a decent level in all the languages i want to learn

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/isnottogive

English: I think that p much the goal of fluency has been covered here in a way that I wish I could cover the rest of the languages I have here. I mean, I've been studying the language for a long while, and I can read authors like Shakespeare or Keats in their native English, so unless you throw me somewhere with a very closed accent I think I can manage pretty well.

French: This is a process of recovery, since I've not studied French since High School. But nowadays with a sister living in France and the goal of getting the A2 certificate next year I have to intensify it.

German: Here I want to keep the language fresh as much as I can. Because even after four years of study it can be rather tricky. Plus learning more vocabulary always helps.

Italian: My main goal short term is to get the B2 certificate next year.

Danish: Since I am hopefully getting the A2 certificate also next year, my goal is not to get left behind the rest of my class and Duolingo proves an excellent help. (Also, I'd love to work in Denmark someday)

Korean: Learn a whole lot more vocabulary and expressions. I started a course this summer but it only gave me the barest of bones and I want more!!!

Norwegian and Swedish: Took these two because I already know some Danish, and it's proving kinda amusing to see the differences and similarities (Also, if I cannot end up working in Denmark, Sweden and Norway sound good too XD)

Dutch: Took it for the differences and similarities between it and English and German, and also for possible work reasons.

Greek: I love Greece. Been there so much with the family and learned so much about its History, theatre and mythology that it is a crying shame that I did not speak a word of Greek until now. So my goal is that in our next trip, I can have a little bit of a basis.

High Valyrian: I just want to be able to communicate with my future dragon, that's all.

Irish: Love the History, love the mythology. Never been there but I would love to, and I would love to 1. Know some Irish when I visit 2. Be able to read and understand (at least a bit) that lovely language

Czech: It's for a project that I have been mulling over since last year. So I can take my time with it.

Japanese: Same as with Czech. So I can also take my time (unless someone turns to be interested in the project. Which would be awesome tbh)

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/EliasPitts

I like concentrating on fleuncy mostly

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/satishvc

I started off learning German with just wanting to learn a new language and to read "Die Verwandlung" (The Metamorphosis) by Kafka in the original (I f**king love that story!).

My reading comprehension and vocabulary is constantly improving albeit a little bit each day and I would love to be "fluent enough" so that I can watch TV/movies and read literature (including the very book that got me started). I also keep thinking I should write more bilingual stories/books.

[As an aside, what's the German magazine you subscribe to?]

September 12, 2017

The magazine that I'm subscribing to is "Geocaching Magazin" (http://geocaching-magazin.com/). It's good, assuming you are interested in geocaching, but it's also perfect for me since it gives me an apportunity to practice a language and pursue a completely separate interest at the same time.

September 12, 2017

Thanks for sharing. Looks interesting.

September 12, 2017

You do geocaching as well?

September 12, 2017

No, sorry. Just thought the concept was interesting is all. :)

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/Far-quaad

1 中文:Mandarin, I want to study abroad in China as I am fascinated by the culture 2: Dutch, I like this language a lot more than I cared for German and I want to go to Amsterdam for practice 3: Spanish, I want to communicate with all of the Spanish speakers where I live 4: Russian, to impress my mother who likes the sound of Russian 5: Welsh, it's beautiful 6: Swahili: I want to see Kenya I want to study more of the languages here, but those are the ones I am focusing on at the moment

September 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/Nusete

Polish: It is my native. But I would like to know more hard words and use them.

English: It is good how it is. Probably it will be improving because of my contact with the language.

Japanese: I want to know Japanese better than English. It is my goal. I would like to know all jouyou kanji and be at the level of N1 or at least N2 but being able to talk with everyone using all honorifics. Also being able to read quickly.

German: Simple conversations can be enough but in every topic ;)

French: I am not sure. Something like B1 maybe.

Others I would like to know but not started yet: Something between A2-B1 but for those I would really really like I want more. And maybe some just in A1-A2... But for languages I am not as much into. Chinese (If I manage to): It is hard to say so it has ti have a different category. Simple conversations, being master of tones, know how to write all the characters I will be knowing and knowing all I need for simple talk. I don't know if I would have more interests of it like business stuff so it depends of it.

September 13, 2017
Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.