Translation:Is he still playing with the ball?
I wrote: Is he still playing the ball. It was wrong and I agreed with noticing the fine difference (very little) in English between "play the ball" and "play with the ball".
However, I am also wondering whether such nuance exists in Dutch? For example, "hij is een bal aan het spelen" and "hij is met een bal aan het spelen", are they all correct? Is so, which one of the two is more commonly used?
Thanks in advance:)
Only the latter is correct.
However, that is because "bal" is not defined (what game is he playing?). So these sentences are completely fine:
- Hij speelt met de voetbal - he is playing with the football/soccer ball
- Hij speelt voetbal - he plays football/soccer
- Hij is aan het voetballen - he is playing football/soccer
- Zij speelt met de basketbal - she is playing with the basketball
- Zij speelt basketbal - she plays basketball
- Zij is aan het basketballen - she is playing basketball
Note the difference between 'plays' and 'is playing' in the Dutch sentences. :)