New privacy setting for Schools/Clubs (x-post, updated)
cross-post from original discussion, available here.
Dear Duolingo for Schools teachers;
We now allow people to type freely in Clubs. We made this change for serious language learners who want to use Clubs in order to motivate each other and practice newly acquired language skills.
If you or your Duolingo students use Duolingo Clubs (mobile), this is a warning for you, please read:
EDIT (Updated with new information Oct 11th):
-We will, starting on October 11th 2017, allow disabling of Duolingo Clubs for all students in Duolingo for Schools classrooms.
- Duolingo for Schools teachers can change these settings by following the same instructions for turning forums on and off for students. Do this if you want to prevent your students from using Clubs.
- Are you a student in a Duolingo for Schools classroom? Check your status in your Progress Sharing settings here.
- Students can always leave a classroom by following these instructions. If a student leaves the classroom, the teacher will be notified via email.
- Students will still see the Clubs tab in their apps, but if they are blocked by the teacher from using Clubs, when they tap on it, they should get a warning message explaining their classroom has it disabled. The warning should appear in their own language.
- Before, it was intended to have them off by default, but it caused too much confusion, especially for mobile users who do not have access to these announcements. We will now instead allow it to be the teacher's choice and work on improving the surfacing of privacy options for teachers.
Duolingo Clubs are meant for language learners to motivate each other and practice their new language. Please be clear about your Club’s intentions and content in the title and description. Any user found breaking the Community Guidelines, even within a Club, could have their Club deleted and even their whole Duolingo account removed.
It is worth reminding everyone that the Club admin can kick out Club members at any time, and Club members can leave at any time.
Thank you all, and happy learning!