https://www.duolingo.com/bryanlouiselle

Reading translations of English books for learning

I am learning, I am TRYING to learn, several languages. For this, I have bought appropriate "short story" books - with the language on one side and the English on the other. They have been variously helpful. What has been MOST helpful is foreign language versions of books I already know and like, especially books by writers whose style is simple, angular, and with clear direct sentence structure. Gabriel García Márquez and Umberto Eco, while two of my favorite writers, are dexterous and baroque writers, not at all easy to translate or read without a dexterous and baroque understanding of Spanish and Italian, respectively. Two of my favorite writers to read in translation are Kurt Vonnegut and Ernest Hemingway. La Colazione dei Campione (per esempio), gave me my first taste of being able to read a book in Italian, e con piacere. Vonnegut and Hemingway write in muscular, simple prose - as easy on the eyes (and mind) in other languages as in English. Next up, looking for translations of The Great Gatsby... Best to you all.

10/4/2017, 5:38:07 PM

0 Comments

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.