https://www.duolingo.com/Virginia142061

Word use/grammar help

Hello, I believe I'm over thinking and I'm not sure if the following sentences are correct in terms of word usage.

1. Ce lieu est le foyer de la plus ancienne colonie (not sure if I'm using le foyer correctly)
  2. Un vaste terrain, se compose d'une population petite, Canada a les gens tres amicaux. (should it be terrain qui se compose?)
  3. C'est une terre d'histoire (if you want to to it's a land with a rich history).
  4. Manitoba a quelques-uns des gens les plus incoyables (not sure if it's the correct use of quelques-uns).

Any help is appreciated.

October 11, 2017

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Arcaeca

1) First of all, ancien can be either before or after the noun it describes, but changes meaning depending on where you put it. Before the noun it means "former, ex-"; after the noun, "ancient, very very old". Compare mon ancien professeur "My former professor" vs. mon professeur ancien "my very, very aged professor" (to say this is a bit rude might be an understatement). Your sentence would make more sense if you switched the position of ancienne.

As for whether le foyer is used correctly or not - I don't know for certain, but I would venture to say not. It means something more like "household" or "home", sometimes "common room", and or figuratively "source/origin". Le site might be more appropriate here.

2) This is grammatically incorrect. You've put a verb in the present tense dangling all by itself in a clause without a stated subject; you basically said "A vast terrain, composes itself of a small population..." . You would either need to change it to the past participle composé or add in qui.

I'm not sure un terrain is being used correctly here; IINM that means something like "land", but in the literal sense, like "land, as opposed to, like, ocean". "Ground". "Soil". You can use it in the context of real estate to talk about the "land" that a building is sitting on or the "plot" that it's going to be built on. But here, I would probably stick with un pays

3) I'm not sure that terre is used correctly here; it seems to literal, like terrain, but WordReference seems to include the definition you're going for.

Just saying d'histoire sounds a bit weird, like saying "It is a history-land". You could probably pull it off, but chargé d'histoire might work better.

4) I'm fairly certain that quelques-uns is unnecessary here. des is already partitive, so it already carries the meaning of "some of". Also, the word you're looking for, by the way, is incroyables.

October 11, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/Prenom.Pierre

Ce lieu est le foyer de la plus ancienne colonie (not sure if I'm using le foyer correctly)

Parfait.

<pre>Un vaste terrain, se compose d'une population petite, Canada a les gens tres amicaux. (should it be terrain qui se compose?) </pre>

Une faible population occupe un vaste territoire, le Canada est peuplé de gens très amicaux. Pour "se compose", tu dirais : Le canada se compose (est composé) de multiples ethnies différentes, (par exemple)

<pre>C'est une terre d'histoire (if you want to to it's a land with a rich history). </pre>

Parfait, une terre d'histoire, pas de "s" à histoire, parfait.

<pre>Manitoba a quelques-uns des gens les plus incoyables (not sure if it's the correct use of quelques-uns). </pre>

Le Manitoba a (possède, concentre, héberge, accueille) quelques-unes des personnes les plus incroyables (du Canada ??)

quelques-uns des habitants, des êtres, des Canadiens, des Nord-Américains, des Amérindiens, etc...

October 12, 2017
Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.