"회사원이 연구를 믿는다."
Translation:The businessman trusts the research.
28 CommentsThis discussion is locked.
- Literally '회사' means 'company' and '원' means 'a (employed) member of ...' in this case. So 회사원 usually means a full-time employee working for the company. 사무원 (office worker) can be 회사원 but not all 회사원 are 사무원.
And 'businessman' is '사업가' not '회사원'
- 회사원이 연구를 믿는다 sounds kinda unnatural but it's not like it doesn't make sense. It sounds more like a proposition than a usual sentence, because both 회사원 and 연구 seem very generic here.
(I am a Korean native speaker and came here by chance. )
It's possible, in sentences like: 회사원이 연구를 한다 (The businessman is doing the research), or 그 연구는 성공적이었다 (the research was successful). But I have no idea how to explain the difference :( I'm sorry.
Maybe when someone is doing a research, it is the "research" what they are doing.. but when we believe something about the research it is the "outcome" of it that we actually trust. Maybe that's why?
. Trust means to place one faith in a "person", to trust someone (not something). So to convey the idea of trust, the Korean sentence should be changed to:
회사원은 연구원을 믿는다 - The company man trusts the researcher (사람)
. Believe is to accept something (action, words etc.) at face value. So to convey the notion of belief, the Korean sentence may look something like:
회사원은 증거없이 연구결과를 믿는다 - The company man believes the research findings (사물) without evidence.
. Believe in is to believe in the value, the existence or ability of someone or something.
회사원은 연구와 연구원의 완전성을 믿는다 - The company man believes in the integrity of the research and the researchers.
Apologies to Native Koreans/fluent Korean speakers if the Korean examples above are grammatically incorrect* but hopefully, the difference of the English words (trust, believe and believe in) is understood.
- Grateful if someone could correct the Korean sentences.
Correction [Nov 23/2019] According to the Cambridge English dictionary, "trust something" is correct. It means "believe in its reliability".
Apologies to DLG.
Yes (in my humble opinion).
Examples taken from Oxford Dictionary
• 남자는 사회 복지사라고 주장했고 노파는 그를 믿었습니다. The man claimed to be a social worker, and the old woman believed him.
• 그의 거짓말을 몇 년 동안 믿습니다. I believe his lies for years.
• 그가 한 말을 한 마디도 믿지 않을 것입니다. I wouldn't believe a word he said.
• 나를 믿어. Believe me