https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Arachnje

Japanese pronunciation, reading, and writing

I frequently come across posts with questions related to reading, pronunciation of, and writing (mostly typing) in Japanese. In particular, I often see questions related to the dual reading (Onyomi-Kunyomi) system of Japanese kanji. So, I decided to create this post to collect in one place some information and tools for beginners to help them read, pronounce, and write in Japanese. The post will not cover vocabulary or grammar resources, because there is already an excellent series by oribaakki, and a collective resource post by Usagiboy7 to tackle those.

I will continue to update these resources whenever I find new ones, so if you are an experienced Japanese learner, I’d be happy if you share in the comments section any other open access resources that can be classified within this topic, and allow me to add your contribution to the main post.

Thank you.

Pronunciation/Spelling

Japanese pronunciation (Wikibook chapter)

Sequential voicing 連濁 (Rendaku)

Tae Kim's guide to learning Japanese - Hiragana

Tae Kim's guide to learning Japanese - Additional sounds

Hiragana and katakana pronunciation tables

Yotsugana (simplified) 

Yotsugana (extended): a bit complicated for us non-Japanese, but important to know.

Dictionary with audio pronunciation

Onyomi/Kunyomi

Introduction to Onyomi-Kunyomi reading

Kanji database (1): kanji grouped by JLPT level from N1 (most difficult) to N5 (easiest) .

Kani database (2): click on the kanji image to see a pop-up explanation and kunyomi/onyomi reading card

The Yamasa Institute online dictionary: searchable by English meaning, kanji, hiragana, or katakana reading.

Online dictionary (Jisho.org): searchable by English meaning, Japanese, or romaji.

Writing

How to type in Japanese

Kana handwriting practice sheets

Kanji handwriting practice sheets

Other

Onomatopoeia

November 1, 2017

5 Comments

Sorted by top thread

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Woof.

Wow! ありがとう Arachnje!

November 1, 2017
Learn Japanese in just 5 minutes a day. For free.