The Versus Series
Hello Everyone, I thought that I'd make a series called, "the versus challenge". I want to know what you guys think and I need you to help me.
First of all, you're probably wondering what does this mean? These series is going to be based on languages and it's going to be like a fight. We are going to make two languages "fight" against each other. Once the series begins we are going to make new discussions like Spanish vs. French or whatever. Then, you are going to vote which one you thought sounded better.
Right now for this discussion I need your help! I want you guys to write in the comments a list of the languages you want to see fight against each other. So, here's an example of a list that we're looking for:
- English vs. German
- Spanish vs. Portuguese
- French vs. Japanese etc.
That's it for now, Give as many "versus" as you can and we will see what will happen next. Thanks!
Welcome to the Versus Challenge! Thank you so much for all of you who helped me. If you guys click the link, it will take you to the tournament on what this series is based on. This isn't official yet so let me know if you guys agree with these combinations?
- English vs German: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25158747
- Irish vs. Scottish: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25190601
- Swedish vs. Norwegian: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25203236
- Danish vs. Icelandic: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25215241
- Dutch vs. Afrikaans: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25219630
- Russian vs. Ukrainian: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25225282
- Polish vs. Czech: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25237702
- Bulgarian vs. Macedonian: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25267810
- Slovenian vs. Slovak: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25273900
- Chinese vs. Japanese: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25287684
- Korean vs. Thai: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25303506
- Finnish vs. Estonian: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25310523
- Hungarian vs. Romanian: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25324388
- Italian vs. French: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25358365
- Spanish vs. Catalan: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25368659
- Brazilian Portuguese vs. European Portuguese: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25381867
- Hebrew vs. Arabic: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25392360
- Latin vs. Greek: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25403492
- Turkish vs. Armenian: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25435603
- Hawaiian vs. Maori: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25453769
- Hindi vs. Bengali vs. Aramaic: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25459429
- High Valyrian vs. Esperanto vs. Klingon: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25474603
Oh this sounds like fun!! I can't wait to see this happen. Quick question is like a language tournament to see who wins in the end? Anyways, the languages I want see in the versus challenge are:
- Romanian vs. Italian
- Russian vs. Polish
- Chinese vs. Japanese
- Spanish vs. Catalan
- Greek vs Albanian
- French vs. Portuguese
- Hindi vs. Bengali
- Hungarian vs. Finnish
- Lithuanian vs. Estonian
- Dutch vs. Swedish
- Hawaiian vs. Moari
- Hebrew vs. Yiddish
- Irish vs Scottish
- Armenian vs. Turkish
- Korean vs. Thai
I'll come up with more later but what do you think so far?
Hello everyone! There is a new UPDATE so please check that out! Reply to this comment and tell me if I should change the arrangements?
I would like to mention that not all the "versus" are on the tournament chart because there wasn't enough room. So, here are the extra ones that aren't on the chart:
- Swahili vs. Zulu
- Finnish vs. Estonian
- Dutch vs. Afrikaans
- Bulgarian vs. Macedonian
- Hindi vs. Bengali vs. Amharic
- High Valyrian vs. Esperanto vs. Klingon
Let me know if I'm missing any languages that were mentioned in this discussion. Thanks!
Remember guys! I'll be posting the links to the new challenges here everyday. You can find them at the top in the discussion under Update in section Challenges :)
SamuelCristea, please beware of "animelovebird". I did a reverse image search of her profile picture, and it is NOT animelovebird's. I would advise not making further contact with "her".
French vs. Hungrarian
Czech vs. Irish
Sweedish vs. Finnish
Latin vs. Finnish
This sounds like Epic Rap battles for languages without reading into what you say to closely at first. One thing that always comes up for me—and it makes me really bugged some times—is Latin American Spanish (of course, very broad) versus Spain Spanish.
I don't think its totally a classic, and I also don't know what Sam means by a fight. But hey! There is an Arab Israeli conflict going on so maybe this combo fits in. I bet a lot of people think of it like a classic, but I don't think Hebrew and Arabic have been in polar positions historically (and I am not saying they are now. They are just languages that different groups happen to speak, and then there are a whole lot of details that are like waaaaayyyyy to much for a place like this. So I'll leave this here). They actual have similar roots and there a structural similarities and some vocab similarities from what I have seen so far. But I thought in general this was a make-sense suggestion, and we will see what the heck this thing is that Sam has an idea for. Hopefully its good, and my expectations for Sams stuff have typically been pretty good. So like I said, we will see.
English vs. Korean
English vs. German
Chinese vs. Korean
By the way, I think this is a really neat idea!
I would love to see Japanese vs. Korean and French vs. German (or Romanian). I don't know exactly what you mean by "fight", but I like the idea of this challenge. It seems interesting!
Chinese vs. Japanese
Russian vs. Ukrainian
Norwegian vs. Danish
Welsh vs. Irish
German vs. Dutch
Catalan vs. Spanish
High Valyrian vs. Esperanto
Romanian vs. Portuguese
Greek vs Turkish
Polish vs. Czech
- German vs. Luxembourgish
- Finnish vs. Estonian
- Russian vs. Ukrainian
- Spanish vs. Catalan
- Turkish vs. Azerbaijani
- Hindi vs. Bengali
- English vs. Dutch
- Swedish vs. Norwegian
- Icelandic vs. Faroese
- Bulgarian vs. Macedonian
- Scottish Gaelic vs. Irish Gaelic
- Russian vs. Ukrainian would be interesting both on political and linguistic fronts.
- French vs. English: the battle of the two lingua francas.
- Danish vs. Swedish
- Classical Arabic vs Biblical Hebrew. And those two languages against their modern counterparts?
- Latin vs. Ancient Greek
- I know people are pitting Armenian vs. Turkish and Turkish vs. Greek. Why not Armenian vs. Turkish vs. Greek?
- Chinese vs. Arabic: Both have dialects in which, despite sharing a similar writing system, are not that intelligible. Plus more relevant languages for the future haha.
- Romanian vs. Hungarian
- Danish vs. Icelandic
- Amharic vs. Hindi: I wanted to put Amharic here somewhere; the choice for Hindi as an opponent is their use of different forms of the abugida writing system, and their connections to liturgical languages in their societies.
- Finnish vs. Russian
- Czech vs. Polish
- Swahili vs. Zulu
- French vs. Haitian Creole (despite their intrinsic similarities)
- Mongolian vs. Korean
- Nepali vs. Tibetan
7—for arabic, it depends on which Dialect. Like because of a lot of media being in MuSrii (egyptian dialect), a lot of people can understand that. Its not as if people can't understand eachother, but there are examples of the countrary. I know some people in Iraq that tell me DariJa (Morrocan) is really hard for them to understand because it is fast, different, there are french words in it. But its not like someone from Egypt goes to Jordan and can understand nooo Shamii. It depends, and its not just that they are not that inteligable.
1Catalan vs Spanish 2 French vs dutch 3 Flemish vs dutch from the Netherlands 4Ancient greek vs Latin 5German vs Polish 6 English vs Frisian.
Chinese vs. Korean Cause these two sometimes sounds alike but are completely different in written form.
Dutch vs Spanish, Welsh vs Turkish, Japanese vs Korean, German vs French, Catalan vs Hebrew, High Valyrian vs English
I love to see German vs. English!!!
Kabardian vs Adyghe. Battle of the year :kappa:. I'll list more tomorrow; it's time for bed.
What a neat idea!
How about. . . .
Dutch vs Afrikaans
Norwegian vs Swedish
Russian vs Romanian
Irish vs Icelandic
French vs Italian
I'm having a difficult time finding all the Versus competitions. Do you think maybe on this discussion, you could add links to all of them? Thanks!
Hello el.loui! I just posted the links of the challenges I made so far in this discussion. You're welcome!
Thank you for your Versus Series. I wondered whether you have considered placing on your Profile Page: The Versus Series with a link that contains all of your competitions. That way, it would be easy to locate the various language lineups. Again, thank you for your work! :)
I'm so sorry for the late response but that is a wonderful idea! Thank you for telling me that!!!
Salut Rodrigo! Ce mai faci? Nu te-am mai vorbit cu tine de mult. Totul e bine, tocmai invat aici pe duolingo si intotdeauna privesc la pagina de discutii si fac si eu discutii. In afara de duolingo, inca cant cu trupa mea. In prezent, noi lucram pe primul nostru album original. As dori sa-ti arat un videoclip nou care noi l-am facut: https://youtu.be/INouvLl1JiQ
Deci, asta este ce am mai facut dar vreau sa stiu ce faci tu? Cum e viata, ce s-a intamplat cu tine?
It seems OK.
However, all languages are equally wonderful and should be treated the same. I don't think we should organize competitions for which languages are 'better' than others in sound or looks or whatever. That wouldn't be a good idea. Plus, what are you doing to do with the data you get, anyway? Otherwise, it is pointless to have matches and have results, "Oh, a lot of people think L1 is better than L2. Guys, L1 is great!!! WOOHOO! L1 WON!!!" And then many people think L1 is better.
I'm not being offensive or anything, but this could put pressure on people and result in unfair results. Some people may be influenced. The data isn't going anywhere either, and it would result in protest and anger when we find out that one language is the "Champion" and so must be the "BEST" because it is the most liked.
I see what you are saying but this Series is mostly to have fun and talk. Think of it as a beauty pageant, each language is beautiful in their own way but some people like that language and others like the other language.
Are you kidding me, how are all languages equally wonderful? They are not is the answer. Go learn arabic and come back in two weeks with your 50 words please and tell me how wonderful it is. Some languages are way more fun than others and absolutely should not be treated equally.
Your attitude belongs in the Soviet Union, mate. The USSR endangered over 5 different language families in favor of Russian using similar logic to yours. Keep your attitude within the reaches of the USSR, AKA let it die.
That is quite an exageration, and contradictory— I have seen plenty of your posts complaining about the Spanish language. The idea that all languages and the cultures that use them are equally wonderfully is not true—unless you have no preferences and are a robot. I suggest you let your logic die, and not try to stretch the idea of liking some languages more than others (and of course to accompanying cultures) to a government. Maybe you should go back to middle school world history, or if they have a logic class you should take that too. And do it in Spanish! Or wait, do you like some languages/cultures more than others?
Think a bit, please. :D:D:D:D:PPPPPPPP