I have just finished my duolingo French course but it still says I am level 12 not 25. How does that work please?
Congrats on finishing your tree!
You will learn much more French words and more difficult sentences by using the "Strengthen" features.
Here is the link to "Best Way to Make Your Tree Turn Gold and Stay Gold"
Other ways you could improve your French:
The reverse tree, the course English for French speakers, is very useful. There you have to translate much more from English to French.
Here is the link to the Duolingo Help Center for
"How do I switch my Duolingo course language?"
Use the web version of Duolingo (www.duolingo.com) instead of the App.
Try to read and write in Duolingo's French discussion forums. There you will find the daily used words, sentences and idiom.
Apart from that
- read a newspaper article every day and try to learn its new words
- listen to podcasts, watch movies with or without subtitles
- converse with a native speaker as much as possible
- write smaller texts, upload them on translatihan.com and let them be corrected by native speakers
- more resources for French in Knud van Eeden's:
"Can you give some links about French?"
There are numerous possibilities. Duolingo will only bring you to an A2/(B1) skill level in reading/writing and A1 (maybe A2) in listening/talking.
Info about language levels and certifications:
Read from "Common reference levels".