"At two o'clock, I saw fourteen sheep there."
Translation:Ve dvě hodiny jsem tam viděla čtrnáct ovcí.
13 CommentsThis discussion is locked.
Stressing it means moving it out of the 2nd position (where it is by default). You can stress is as the topic (1st position) or as the focus (last position). These will be applicable in certain contexts only:
- A: Pojďme na louku. (Let's go to the meadow.)
- B: Tam jsem (ve dvě hodiny) viděl 14 ovcí. -- (Speaking of the meadow,) that's where I saw 14 sheep. The place (tam) is now the topic, following up on what was mentioned before.
- Kde jsi viděl těch 14 ovcí? (Where did you see those 14 sheep?)
- Viděl jsem je tam. -- I saw them over there.
The sentence in this exercise makes it really hard to make "tam" the focus because it contains a lot of information that is very unlikely to be less important then "tam". Perhaps when correcting someone:
- A: František tady ve 2 hodiny viděl 14 ovcí. -- František saw 14 sheep here at 2 o'clock.
- František: Ne, ve 2 hodiny jsem 14 ovcí vidět tam! -- No, it was over there that I saw 14 sheep at 2 o'clock.
- František again: Tady jsem viděl 14 ovcí v 5 hodin. -- As for here (topic), I saw 14 sheep here at 5 o'clock (focus)
- Or, instead, František: Tady jsem viděl ve 2 hodiny 18 ovcí. -- As for here (topic), I saw 18 sheep (focus) here at 2 o'clock.