1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Japanese
  4. >
  5. "that foreign exchange studen…

"that foreign exchange student"


November 11, 2017



その was not in the word list, leaving that question uncompletable.


same! I think other pieces were missing too but I know sono was. I kept looking for it, checking over the hint, couldn't find it, then of course it said wrong and told me I should have used it. I reported this so hopefully it gets fixed but idk apparently Japanese has been in beta a very long time...


Did you see あの? Should as well be okay for the translation of "that."


あの was missing from the list as well.


Can someone tell me what's the difference between "sono" and "kano"?


Sono --> 'that' far away from the speaker but near the listener Ano ---> 'that' far away from the speaker and the listener Kono --> near the speaker

Note: Sore, Are and Kare mean the same thing BUT when someone says the name of the thing he is pointing at he would use Sono, Ano and kono.. and if he doesn't say the name of the thing he's talking about he would use them with 're' insted of 'no' at the end of the word For example; Kono isu wa ikuru desu ka? How much is this chair? Or Kare wa ikuru desu ka? How much is this?

I've learnt this from my Japsnese made easy book ^-^

  • 1220

There is a slight mistake in Sara's answer: かれ is "he/him/boyfriend." これ means "this."


Boyfriend is かれし


Thanks! I was wondering just about that.


"Sono" refers to things that are close to the listener while "kono" refers to things that are close to the speaker. For example, if I were holding a book, I would refer to it as "kono hon" because it is close to me, but you would refer to it as "sono hon". I hope this was helpful. : )


Btw kano means wonder, I think you mean kono


You should look up KO-SO-A-DO rule. It made it super simple for me to remember, I used to struggle with it before finding that rule


その wasn't listed in the options.


Japanese: 留学生 (Ryūgakusei) Chinese: 留学生 or 留學生 (Líu Xúe Shēng) Sound similar, aren't them?


May I ask how you did to type the pinyin with the accents? I wish I could do it too...


The answer given as correct is not possible to select from the available options.


What's the difference between あの/その/この that we're learning here and あれ/それ/これ that we learned a few lessons ago? I understand the differences in proximity signaled by あ, そ, & こ, but what's the effect of の vs. れ?


あの/その/この take an object name after them ("this shirt", "that student", etc.), while the versions ending in れ don't. ("This is mine", "How much is that?", etc.) If you're using "this/that" + a noun, go with あの/その/この; if you're using "this/that" as a pronoun, without ever saying the same of the thing (or if you don't know its name), go with どれ/あれ/それ/これ.


I gave "あのりゅう学生" as an answer and it was rejected. The correct response shown to me replaced "学" with "がく", which confused me. Am I wrong or is Duo? :)


Were you typing or using word blocks? The most correct would be to use all kanji ”その/あの留学生”, but short of that you can try all kana. Duolingo hasn't added kanji to all accepted answers yet, but in real life it would be used, so it's better to get used to it as early as you can handle it.


The characters of the good answer are not proposed in the exercise, I do not understand how to do...


Some of the AI pronunciation here (りゅうがく生) is just so unintelligible especially if you were to think of how it sounds without the individual letters...


You mean sono and ano?


Such a weird phrase. I misread it as "(Is) that (a) foreign exchange student" because "that foreign exchange student" is just strange.


I know the term for foreign student, but no hiragana (or katakana) that fit was appropriate, so as I know 学生, I choose 留学生, despite having never seen 留 before.


they don't have the right letters to complete it


その was not in the word list, leaving that question uncompletable. I agree with KyoraNeko, the correct answer was not given as a choice, therefore, I was not able to answer the question correctly.


Would あの be more or less grammatically acceptable than その if I were identifying the foreign exchange student? I get this example lacks context but I'm just trying to learn here.


You would use あの if we were talking about someone who was physically distant from us both, like across the room or something. You would use その if they were close to me but not you.


留   学  生 りゅう がく せい


when is the word that spelt as "kore" and when as "kono"?


これ is used in place of a noun and この is used in front of a noun.


Why don't we put "です” at the end here?


because it's just a phrase, not a sentence.


What're the different words for foreign exchange student and degree-seeking full-time student in Japanese? In chinese we use 留学生(=りゅうがく生)only to refer to the latter. As for the former, we say 外国(foreign)交换(exchange)生(student). So I'm wondering if Japanese just refer to them both simply as りゅうがく生, or have another specific word as in Chinese?


It's kinda funny they didn't add です for politeness towards the foreigner.

Learn Japanese in just 5 minutes a day. For free.