Wackiest feature suggestions
What is the silliest thing you can think of for a Duolingo feature?
Ready? Set... GO!
I want to see a breakdancing Duo wearing bunny ears whenever I complete a Timed Practice with a perfect score.
(Unfortunately, bunnies are not super impressive breakdancers. This is why Duo needs to do it. ^^;)
Here's an off-the-wall idea:
We all know that the official Duolingo map of Northern Europe looks like this:
...but wouldn't it be fun to throw our geographical caution to the wind and pretend that there were, in fact, another country there? It could be known as the Fictional Invented Northern Land (or FIN-land for short), in which the Fictional Invented Northern Native Speakers would speak some strange new language for which Duolingo could sportingly introduce a new course.
For maximum comic effect, Duolingo could make this new language absurdly difficult, with fifteen-odd cases and all manner of bizarre complexities.
A good way to gauge whether or not this idea would be popular might be to see whether thousands of users repeatedly ask for it all the time.
Are you referring to the map's depiction of the four provinces of the Klingon Empire, sandwiched between Poland and Russia? Where else do you think the hundreds of millions of Klingon-speakers, who make this important language such an essential addition to Duolingo, reside?!
Oh, that's from when you get 0 XP. For timed practice? Or before streak is completed? Anyhow, adding those eyebrows is freaking me out. Yes, Duo, I completed my streak; I did the Pig Latin course and you aren't SUPPOSED to show up; I mean Privacy! Uh, I guess he/she just won't listen.
Wacky? Where do I even start!
- An AI interactive Duo that among other things, gets angry, packs and leaves you if you miss your lessons for a number of days that you decide on your settings.
- A mobile (blazing fast) skill that you need to chase around the screen and capture to unlock (inspired by the snitch from Harry Potter).
- A lingot-eating alligator that pops up and starts munching on your lingots if you make a certain number of mistakes that you decide on your settings.
- A custom-made multi language course that includes skills from all the languages the user is learning.
A mobile (blazing fast) skill that you need to chase around the screen and capture to unlock (inspired by the snitch from Harry Potter).
Reminds me of those typing games, where you have to type fast enough to catch a thing. That would be so cool! It could be adjusted for Timed Practice. You have to help Duo fly far enough to visit their target country! :D
Oh yeah, that would be SO cool. There would be bursts or landmarks and you would have to type pretty fast to beat it, and then you would fly off. After typing everything or selecting everything, Duo flies off to visit France, and wears the flag.
Wouldn't it be a great idea?
Let's get some silly fun ones though that aren't geared towards making people feel bad :P
Oh! Here's one, what if we had a feature like the Maurader's map in Harry Potter, except that it shows us where Duo is in the world right then. Maybe a little cultural and linguistic blurb could pop up when he reaches a new place. :D
idkhbtfm, I saw something similar in Duolingo HQ when I visited this summer. Only, the map randomly selects one username out of all of the people who begin a lesson right then and shows it for a second and then pulls up another one that just started a lesson. It doesn't hone in to exactly where they are, as you can see from the map. But, gives an idea of where in the world they are.
ohhhh - garpike has given me an idea !
How about a MOON LANGUAGE - and make it ridiculously easy.
Perhaps based on sign language grammar - to compliment ... lets say ASL. Because that is encompassing a minority, and would then also be an additional tool for people to learn ASL.
And that it did not follow the unusual gendering of inanimate objects that some languages, like Latin languages use. And discouraged the use of honorifics, that are often used to pigeon hole people, and raise some people above others in status.
And that it is based on a simple phonetic script, rather than the complications of the English crazy spelling rules.
Of course - placed on the Moon - so that does not favor any one region or culture. Yet honored all of them. As it honors all identities in equality.
ooooooooh I so love that dream.
Now if I could just find a good little gif or picture to promote Moon Language ....
It will have to wait to later. The sun is still out, and I have to climb back up on a roof.
Roo needs to return to laboring.
- Having a virtual reality version.
- Being able to customize sound effects with your own .mp3 files.
- Being able to paint your own designs on Duo (the Owl).
- Being able to subscribe to people and give them little donations every month.
- Having a little Webkinz-style home for Duo where you can use lingots to buy clothes, furniture, food etc.
- A marathon button where you keep strengthening skills and completing new ones until you finish the tree.
- A marathon button but for every course on the site.
- Using ReviewBrah in as many vocabulary pictures as possible.
- Being able to customize vocabulary pictures.
- A Jeopardy-style gameshow competition.
- Sarcastic bots that make fun of you when you look at hints.
- Being able to make your own bot exercises and posting them on a bot forum/shop thing.
- Every course is required to have a skill about Waluigi.
- Santa Claus yelling "Ho! Ho! Ho!" when you complete a Christmas skill.
- An option to record the screen.
- Occult skills about astral projection and spirit guides.
- Being able to make your own skills and posting them on a forum/shop thing.
- A music skill where all the recordings are from songs.
- Duolingo audio lessons.
- A hand gesture skill for the Italian course.
- A "two-player" option where two people take turns answering exercises and there is a chat.
- Anxiety-inducing music (like the drowning music from Sonic or the Infinite Staircase from SM64) that plays when the Timed Practice is about to time out.
- .gifs as vocabulary pictures.
- A stream button.
- Having to watch an unskippable ad when you get 0 XP from Timed Practice.
- The voices burp during food skills.
- VANTAGE - 50//50 plays when you complete the tree.
- Getting Duolingo Plus for free if you keep a streak for one year.
- All forehead vocabulary pictures are jacksfilms.
- An option where you only have to use your voice to do exercises.
- Halloween skills.
- You can send a note (it can be anonymous) to your crush on Valentine's Day.
- If you get 5 Timed Practices with 0 XP it automatically redirects you to r/RoastMe.
- If you get 10 Timed Practices with 0 XP you get a 30-minute-long unskippable ad.
- If you copy and paste the answer, it marks it wrong and Duo pops up with sunglasses and says "Get wrecked."
- If you finish every tree for English speakers, you get access to an exclusive lounge.
- Duo flies to a different location on the screen every time the cursor gets too close.
- If you complete every tree for every language, you get to eat lunch with the CEO.
- If you get 10 million XP total, the CEO films himself jumping into a pool of gummy bears.
- The first person who gets to 20 million XP total will help design the Duolingo Theme Park.
- If you get 50 million XP total, you can go to the theme park anytime you want for free.
- If you get 100 million XP total, your lingots get converted into bitcoins.
- The progress bar is Duo jumping/stumbling over hurdles.
- When you get done with a lesson, it shows you your average WPM.
- XP Tournaments
- If you get 200 million XP total, you get a little certificate that says "Hahaha, get a life, hacker."
- A Duo Halloween costume
- A version for the Nintendo Switch
- Being able to upload .png, .jpg, and .gif files to place in the foreground or background.
- Duolingo Events where the language is a surprise.
- A course for how to speak Pirate.
- A course for how to speak Lolcat.
- A Duolingo Story where the characters roast the person reading and there is a picture of them dabbing at the end.
- Duo dabs when you get all the exercises right in Timed Practice.
- A skill for onomatopoeia.
- A course about how to pronounce emoji.
- Being able to use the robot voices as text-to-speech generators.
- If you burp into the mic, an unskippable ad plays.
- Skills where you can learn lyrics to songs.
- You get shadow banned if you say you like pineapple pizza.
- You can buy a trench coat and fedora outfit for Duo. When you go on the site or the app, Duo says "Greetings, m'lady."
- A punk rocker Duo outfit.
- A unicorn costume for Duo.
- A swedish exercise that says "Did you laugh, or did you lose?"
- A human costume for Duo.
- Halloween costumes for Duo.
- The option to draw your own version of Duo and use that instead of the normal one.
- The option to only allow your friends to see certain parts of your profile.
- Duo as a cute anime girl wearing a hoodie in the Japanese course.
- An audience progressively gasps and later yells louder and louder the more exercises you get wrong.
- An audience claps and later cheers louder and louder the more exercises you get right.
- A laugh track plays when you do a mic exercise in the flirting skill.
- A cybernetic outfit for Duo.
- A pirate outfit for Duo.
- A ninja outfit for Duo.
- Vangelis plays when you complete the Greek tree.
- If you beg for lingots, all the ads become unskippable.
- If you type "tfw no gf/bf" as an answer to an exercise, it says "I know that feel" when it marks you wrong.
- An Ancient Egyption course.
- Instead of using ads like on other sites, they put them in the exercises, e.g. "My favorite drink is Coke."
- Charles Martinet becomes the male Italian voice.
- A laugh track plays when you get a different language mixed up in an exercise.
- The Seinfeld theme plays when you get more than 5 downvotes.
- When you complete a tree, the trophy is of an art style from the country of the language.
- You can charge people lingots to see your post/comment.
- English courses have a skill aboot how to annoy Canadians.
- Farting into the mic makes you lose all progress on the lesson/practice.
- If you get level 25 on every single course on the site, the CEO films himself in a Duo costume in Disney World, and he pretends he belongs there.
- If you get 5 timed practices in a row with all answers correct, High Rez by Phutureprimitive plays.
- You can give lingots to people by going to their profile.
- You have to participate in discussions to earn points you can use to upvote/downvote.
- Rap skills
- If you get 100 Timed Practices in a row with all the answers correct, you get a free t-shirt.
- On April Fool's Day, all the flags are randomly swapped.
- A skill where they put all the "weird" sentences.
- iOS characters on the PC version.
- If the mic hears Lil Pump in the background, it bans you from the forums.
- Slang skills
- Polish mic exercises.
- Duolingo Plus Lite™
- Duolingo Math™
- Duolingo Science™
- Banter in the sports skill.
- An option to choose voices with different accents.
- When your streak hits a milestone (100, 200, 300, etc.) future bass plays and there's confetti and children cheering and clapping.
- A comment has a bigger font the more upvotes it gets.
- A version for the 3DS.
- Smash Mouth - All Star plays when you get to the top of your leaderboard.
Somewhere in the multiverse, there is a universe where all of this happens...
You can send a note (it can be anonymous) to your crush on Valentine's Day.
This right here. If this existed I would track down my crush's Duolingo account even if it took me 24 hours, and if she didn't have one I would try and talk her into it just for this. But first I would have to figure out how to talk to her.
I got the idea from Twitch. There is a difference between following and subscribing on that site.
idkhbtfm, I have a sneaky suspicion I know what a/b group you were in ;) hehe
A challenge option where you can challenge another user to a competition for a certain skill or course. Whoever answers the most questions correctly wins. But: there are no hints, and whenever you miss a question, an angry Duo flies up to the top bar and takes away five lingots. The prize would be as high as the challengers set it, up to 500 lingots, that are taken from the loser's lingot amount.
Great idea! I remember on Pottermore, there were random pairings and you dueled with whoever was randomly paired against you. I'd love to see a Timed Practice version of your suggestion so that people couldn't just pull up an online dictionary to cheat. I like the Lingot wager too. Though, I'd cap it at 2 lingots per A Duel of Duos Dueling for a Duo of Lingots. And instead of an angry flying duo, there would be an egg on each side under people's usernames. When one person wins, the egg on one side disappears and the egg on the other side hatches a pair of lingots. :D
idkhbtfm, I had to look that up because I'd never heard of it before. It was difficult to find one I could link to here but I found these kids who are already 1,000 years better at dancing than I am. They are teaching the dab in their music video. This took me down the rabbit hole of looking at dance move names on Youtube. And, I'm not sure but I think some of those kids make a cameo in this dance video called Watch Me Whip/Nae Nae. This video is basically an awesomely creative (and tune catchy) way of turning the names of dance moves into a song and a dance video.
Specialization multiplies vocabulary to offer greater specificity. ^_^
Cool! Remember to highlight A8, A11, A26, A27, A34, A35, B5, B11, B12, B16, B18, B19, B35, B39, B41, C1, C2, C9, C12, and C18!
DreamOfFlying, you mean another one of these: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/24895770? I didn't realize people were looking forward to me doing another one. I could. Hmm... Maybe I could make it holiday themed. We'll see. If you don't see it up at the beginning of next month, poke me and I'll put one up. ^_^
Whenever you have a notification:
1: A bunny pops out from the side of the screen 2: Says the notification(written in a speech bubble) 3. Disappears again
1.swearing skill for all langues and you can buy it from the lingot shop for 420 lingots 2.2sad4me plays when you get 0 XP in timed patice 3.if you complete a tree in a day the site calls you a hacker and deletes your account 4.no scoped gets played and get rekt shows up when you get 20 XP in timed partice 5.oh baby a triple plays if you get 3 timed partices in a row with 20 XP 6.if someone beg for lingots thier account get deleted 7.there is a 6.9% chance that duolingo will mark it worng even if you got it right 8.a new item in the ligot shop which changes everything to comic sans for 42 lingots 9.an offical duolingo minecraft server 10.theres a 5% chance that duolingo wont give XP when you finsh a lesson 11.a sepical 1v1 feautre where they can 1v1 people in thier langue that they are learning 12.XP leaderboads