1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: German
  4. >
  5. The three fans


The three fans

In English we have three fans. One 'The thing that spins around on the roof sometimes found in bunnings in large proportion but often in houses to cool the people who walk, sit and sleep under it.' Then you have 'The thing that people hold and wave infront of their face so they get cool, used much less in the common era.' And three 'Someone who really likes someone because they think they're great but normally not going as far as 'love''. I know that German uses 'Fan' but for how many of the previous examples?

grüße liebe


November 16, 2017



Only for the last of those and we stole it from Englisch (we do have the word "fanatisch" in German, which is the same as "fanatic" from which it derived, but we pronounce it the English way).

The other fans are more complicated. The one people wave around in front of their faces are called "ein Fächer". The electric one there to cool houses and people is "ein Ventilator" and then there are the big ones standing around on roofs or by themselves to get energy that are called "ein Windrad" though I believe that's wind-turbines in English not a fan, but I didn't know what else would stand on a roof and be called a fan. :)


Thankyou. Yea we use 'wind-turbine' for things that collect energy.

  • 121

I didn't know what else would stand on a roof and be called a fan. :)

I suspect that cluney2 meant "ceiling" when they wrote "roof".


www.duden.de is a good online dictionary for these kinds of questions.

This is the link to a lot of translations for the English word "fan"

  • 1621

What is bunnings? Is that a British word?

  • 121

It's not a uniquely British word (at least, as far as the Oxford English Dictionary knows) but apparently a "bunning" can mean either a platform in a mine or an echidna.


Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.