1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: French
  4. >
  5. "Cette personne va vous télép…

"Cette personne va vous téléphoner ou vous écrire."

Translation:That person is going to call or write you.

March 15, 2013



Write you? I'd say write to you


Both are commonly used. It may be a British/North American difference, I'm not sure. We Canadians tend to live in a mixture of both.


I was using this, but people used to be confused, what do I mean, "write you".


Thanks for enlightening us.


The model answer is not proper "English" English - "write to you" is better, or "call you or write"


You are right. "Write you" is incorrect in English. "Write to you" is grammatically correct.


Write you? Not really the correct use of english


I answered "That person is going to phone you or write to you", which was accepted, but now I wonder, is it correct to say "[...] write TO you"?


I would say English (in England) is invariably "write to", leaving out the "to" seems to be American


Yes, because it indicates the indirect object. In English, the "to" is often left out. You might say:

  • call you or write you
  • call or write you
  • call you or write to you
  • call or write to you


An England English speaker would not say write you! (Unless they meant write the letter "u" :)

I think it is important (and useful) for non native speakers of a language to speak a standard version of the language, as well as they possibly can! I taught English as a foreign language and was once asked why I was teaching "posh English" (I am by no means posh) by the pupil's spouse, I replied that the locals with very thick accents would be more able to understand a foreigner speaking standard English than a foreigner speaking "local" English, AND, that if the pupil moved to a different part of the UK, or another English speaking part of the world it would be more useful to know standard (very much in use) England English. Further, why would you immediately prejudice yourself, one of the great thing about learning a foreign language is that it can free you from the stereotypes you may previously have been saddled with. Incidentally, several world famous actors are said to have such thick accents in their own language that they had to emigrate (rightly or wrongly) to make a career for themselves! They don't speak perfect English, who cares, but would they have been as successful if they had learned English from Wurzel gumage? I doubt it


Noooooooo "write to you", not "write you" !

[deactivated user]

    Completely agree; It should be "write to you" - not write you. Bad grammar!


    I would miss out the you at the end, it would be assummed


    Do you mean leave out the "you" in English or in French? In English, one would say "...call you or write you" (or) "...call or write you".


    surely 'to call you or write' should also be correct?


    That is what I would put too.


    Not British English. In British English you would say 'that person is going to call you or write to you' Another to needs to be added. I could not work out a way to say this using the given words and I am British


    It states that "That person will call you you or to write you all" is also a correct translation. English??


    It is a misconception that "vous" (by itself) would ever be translated as "you all" or "all of you". Of course, you may say it in English, but you would use "vous tous" to convey that meaning in French. The expression you saw from four years ago is not really correct but the result of an overly inclusive approach to recognizing that "vous" may be either singular or plural and thus that saying "you all" is ubiquitous in English. This misconception persists and has now been encoded to the point of interpreting all iterations of "you all" as "y'all". All I can say is "Good grief!"


    Is this an example of using an auxiliary verb once? Could a second va go before the second vous?


    "vous" has to be repeated, but not "va".


    In English you can (and probably would) say: That person is going to call or write you.

    Can you leave out one of those pronouns in French as well? i.e.: "Cette personne va vous téléphoner ou écrire."


    Sorry for the delay. In French, it needs to be "vous téléphoner ou vous écrire".


    In Australia, we would also say "ring you" as opposed to "call you" (I was marked wrong, but that is how I would say it.


    Well, if we have to accept "write you" as being English anything goes :). Seriously, yes, in the UK we are just as likely to say "ring you" or "phone you" too, or even "give you a tinkle" (I'm sure there are more). These duo discussion pages are great for finding out!


    I see that the English in grammatically correct, but it is rather awkward in American English.


    Just learned that the Canadian Duolingo member has stated in Canada they use "write you". I asked my neighbor and he said no, he is Canadian so maybe it depends on where one lives in Canada. Perhaps both are correct and I learned something today. Is there a grammatically correct answer to this? Anyone English professors out there?


    why is it incorrect to translate this sentence as: That person is going to call you or write?


    Too American in England we would say that person is going to call you or write TO you


    "That person is going to call you or write" is not correct but "That person is going to call or write you." is correct. so weird.


    All very well, but the second “vous” was not available!

    Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.