https://www.duolingo.com/FrenchByte

Tiny Cards Deck (E-L) [Con-Lang]

DECK

Elemental Language E-L

HI, SALUTATIONS

Hello, French Byte

Today I made a little Tiny Cards Deck. It only has around 24 cards and won't teach you much, but it's enough for the moment. It is for a con-lang I made --- the Elemental Language, with each element symbol representing a block for a word.

BASICS

There are 118 element symbols used in the language, forming a large alphabet found on the periodic table. Before making this con-lang, I memorized most of the periodic table (it's really easy to forget, and only people who are obsessed with science would ever do this). It actually helped a lot.

WORD BASICS

Since all the symbols are just one or two letters you can find on the internet, I decided to share the words in this language. Some letters are words themselves. Actually, most of the first 30 are words and symbols.

Here are some basic words and sentences: Elemental Language E-L

GRAMMAR BASICS

Since there is no space to explain it in the deck, I will say simply that it is very easy to pick up. It is pretty easy and similar to ASL grammar; if you find it complicated comment below and I will try to simplify things.

Nouns: called 'objects', there are a lot, and you simply name them. It is easy to use them in sentences because they have no tie with other words. Instead, other words are placed based on the noun's position (meaning the syntax is based on nouns and verbs).

Verbs: called 'actions', there are fewer, and they are used after a noun to show present tense. For example, you would translate literally and find things like "I am" or "He is". -Al shows an -ed relationship, but Al itself is a word literally meaning "end". Be sure to place verbs behind nouns, because the passive form is not used often.

Articles: called 'articles' or 'bit-words', there is only one, and you use it before the noun to describe the abstractness of the noun. For example, 'a soda'. The article is actually 'the' in E-L. The abstract article is formed without anything, like in Esperanto. 'H' means the, and is the article used to choose something specific. 'the soda'.

Adjectives: called 'describers', 'connectors', or 'noun describers', these are used to show what a noun is like. They are always placed behind the noun, no matter what. So, translated literally things would be strange, like 'clothes wet' or 'rock hot'. This makes it appear strange, but the pro is that you know what is being modified before you see what the description is. You can imagine it as a list after the noun. This makes it handy that there can be 100 positive nouns, and you would be able to assume that:

'pizza great, awesome, amazing, super, fantastic, fabulous, sentimental flavor, spicy...'

However, remember this is only the literal translation. Things would look more like:

Y-Y Be C-O-H-O-H

Remember to always list adjectives after the noun. Another pro is that the adjective order doesn't matter anymore because everything sounds equally weird. Or equally OK. Or equally great.

Conjunctions: called 'sentence connectors' or 'connectors', there are a few handy words you can use, such as 'and' and 'or'. These I have not made up yet, but they are used where you would use them in English. it is placed between clauses, phrases, and simple sentences.

Prepositions: called 'place connectors', 'connectors', and 'where words', these describe where something is, or where it is at. Or, what the verb is acting on. They are placed similarly to English, like 'he is on the bed' or 'they are at the door'.

Adverbs: called 'describers', 'connectors', 'verb describers', and 'action describers', there are several always there to modify and describe an action or verb. They are always placed directly after the verb. So, a literal translation would be 'running quickly' or 'jumped soon'. This is similar to the placement of adjectives.

Tense words: called 'time describers', 'connectors', and 'tense describers', there are not really much of these, but they come in the form of symbols. For example, O shows present tense and Al shows past tense. There are three suffixes and they are added onto the ends of words, with hyphens (as usual).

Thank you for taking the time to read through. Try using this language!

Remember if you would like a new word or a translation, comment below. And please tell me if you think this is interesting!

BONUS: Try writing a short description of yourself with this. You don't have to share it, and please DO NOT include private information, but rather really simple information.

Once again the link to this is Elemental Language E-L

UPDATES:

11/20/2017 - Deck created. It has 24 cards.

11/20/2017 - Error in deck fixed.

11/20/2017 - Conjunctions, adjectives, nouns and more added!

11/20/2017 - Grammar should be kept simple. Try to use the active form and less punctuation, and a more direct sentence. This is the general syntax guideline.

11/20/2017 - I will create a short Bio in E-L.

11/20/2017 - Deck now has 42 cards.

11/20/2017 - The con-lang is very flexible as words have very general meanings. The words are meant to keep short while letters are still flexible and available. Enjoy! More words soon!

11/20/2017 - A few more words will be added.

11/20/2017 - Important words added! Communication skills will be boosted! Greetings and more adjectives, plus a packet of simple words. Enjoy the new improvement!

11/20/2017 - More words to be added; possessive word added; possessive nouns are using suffixes

11/20/2017 - The con-lang is quite dependent on its suffixes. Master the endings, and remembering the words will make you able to read most of any texts!

11/20/2017 - The deck now has 54+ cards.

11/20/2017 - Tiny Cards now accepts [Si | have, owns, has] but unfortunately no longer accepts [Si | have, owns, possesses]. However, all of these translations are correct and so use R is necessary. However, Tiny Cards now accepts all three of the simplest, shortest translations.

11/21/2017 - More Tiny Cards Decks are shared; important words are in Basics, and the other decks provide important words. It's important to remember that this language has a chaining nature, so most likely there will be three decks with the main components, and other decks to expand your vocabulary.

11/21/2017 - All decks boosted and improved. 3 decks are in the making. Expected to be finished and out in two weeks or less.

Bye, French Byte

November 20, 2017

6 Comments

Let me know if I should only choose certain types of exercises :)

November 20, 2017

UPDATE: Fixed an error in the Deck.

November 20, 2017

Conjunctions, adjectives, nouns and more added!

UPDATE: Grammar should be kept simple. Try to use the active form and less punctuation, and a more direct sentence. This is the general syntax guideline.

UPDATE: I will create a short Bio in E-L.

November 20, 2017

If any words are too flexible and unclear, I will make them more specific. Enjoy!

:)

Be Y-N He-He ?

November 21, 2017

TIPS FOR THE LANGUAGE

Is the language getting just downright messy or confusing? Don't worry; if you spot patterns it will be much easier.

AM- WORDS

Am - the four operators start with this symbol, which doesn't mean anything. However, when used to start of words, it is likely to make it math-related, or an operator.

Am-Am: add | this operator is made up of two symbols, both Am, and makes it the simple addition. However, Am-Am is also the word for adding a hat to the pile, adding more cards to a deck, and adding more ideas to the list.

Am-Pb: subtract, minus | this 'Pb' you see is a negative word, and is often used in phrases. Sometimes it is neutral, but most times it is added to words to make a more negative effect. However, Pb anywhere else is likely to have slightly different meanings.

Am-At-At: multiply | this operator is specific, but the word itself is used just like in English. It is used for multiplying, or rapid increase, too. You can use this to describe bacteria and viruses. Also note that there are three symbols. 'At' here is used to indicate the multiplication.

Am-At-Pb: divide, division | this operator has that Pb, a negative thing. Oftentimes Pb will be used to show a near-opposite of something, because N is reserved for not. Not multiplication does not necessarily mean division.

EASY WORDS

French Byte's simple dictionary of E-L simplest words

This group of small, simple words can be quite hard to memorize. It's best to practice it quite a bit and write a few sentences using them. It's fun to use a con-lang, and it's always good to master these simple ones.

H - the | the only article. Other words refer to 'a' but the 'a' is often understood, and so omitted. H will be quite hard when you learn similar words, but make sure to keep these simple symbols far apart or you may accidentally write something very strange.

Y - this | easy to get mixed up with similar words, Y is a simple word that will be use a lot in other symbols, because a lot of the word names come from piecing these simple ones. I will show examples later.

Li - all | this word is not easy to mix up but extremely important to use. It is used in several characters and sometimes means 'both'. This makes it similar to Mandarin, too. Li is added to most words to give them an 'all' sense. For example, in the translation of 'everything'.

N - no, not | the negation word implies something that is not whatever N is attached to. For example, [happy]-N would mean not happy, which means you are either unhappy or unhappy and something else, like angry. However, this does NOT mean the opposite. [happy]-N might not be happy, but doesn't necessarily mean sad or very sad.

K - alright, fine | do NOT get this mixed up with O-K, which means 'sure' or 'okay'. It only gives a quick K, and this K doesn't actually always mean 'K. It can be, of course, but it mostly means 'okay' or 'fine'. You might reply 'K' if somebody asked you how you were doing.

Be - is, are | there is only one 'is/be' form, and that is Be. Yes, it was partly chosen because it happened to give a hint itself. It's simple and not too hard to remember. You can think of it as 'be', but grammatically correct translations will use 'is' or 'are'.

Al - done, already, -ed | used on its own, it is much too simple and can only show something was already put into action. To shorten things with tense, Al is a tense word and -Al is added onto the end of a verb (make sure it is a verb and not anything else, or there is no tense) to imply that the action was done. For example, [jump]-Al would mean jumped. Or already jumped. And you can add [into whatever] at the end.

O - ... (is) ... -ing, -ing, -s | used on its own, it means something works or functions (this is the best interpretation). However, it is used as a tense word and -O would turn anything into present tense and not just any-tense. For example, 'run' is not present tense in English, but 'running' must be. It is a similar case in E-L.

C - thing, object | a super simple word, C is the symbol that means a thing. This word is used a lot, but Y is used much more often, and H beats them all. C is used for unspecified objects, like 'this... this thingy' or 'this thing'. It is used just like in English.

F - for | a pretty new word, this is used like 'pour' in French, and its other purposes in English too. It is very short and is used as a quick symbol to put between words, showing relationship and connection. For is not extremely common but is still used enough to earn its own symbol.

Ar - and, also | much like the logic operator, this is used for spaces between phrases, clauses, or simple sentences (inside complex ones). It is a conjunction and pieces parts of sentences together. It makes everything much easier with the bond between parts, showing connections within the sentence.

Kr - or, alternatively | this one is a lot like its cousin, Ar. It is also a conjunction and puts things in sentences together. However, it is used more to show different options that can be taken, like 'cake OR chocolate'. Kr is inserted between words wherever needed.

Mg - do, does | I realized after about three whole hours that we needed a do, does, action word. It is Mg, because Mg is right under Be in the periodic table, and the columns in tables represent links and relationships. Because the two words were similar, Mg it was. use this for action and doing where you need it to be, for without 'do' communication would be very hard.

Si - owns, possesses, has | used for having, I noticed right after making Mg that a 'have/has' word was needed. Since this symbol is simple enough, I used it for possession. This word is also linked to F, and is in an area close to F. Si is more common than F and beats most other 'easy words', and is very distinct and important.

Good luck with your E-L studies!

November 21, 2017

UPDATES

A new set of bit-words has been added! It's simpler and easier to learn, and will guide you a long. About as good as a Basics skill. The bit-words are conjunctions, connectors, a few good nouns, prepositions, and more. Plus suffixes, which the con-lang is dependent on.

LANGUAGE NATURE

This con-lang contains quite a few suffixes, because it is dependent on symbols. Most words are formed by clicking pieces together to form an idea. This type of piecing allows words to be flexible, and you can easily guess what one might be with knowledge. You could even add your own word, though I don't know what it could mean.

This simple piecing is part of what makes it such an easy language to learn and pick up. Some languages have old roots and origins, others are phonetic-semantic or have radicals; still others have some other word-forming and different syntax(es).

If you don't like this chaining together to form meaning and ideas, please don't learn this language. It will be tricky and hard. But like I said, the chaining is like adding words together to form others, since there are already those symbols reserved for extremely easy words. Part of why there is lots of meaning in suffixes is because they are the last piece clicked into place. So, it makes it easy to spot the suffix (since there are hyphens) and add its meaning to the original word.

Good luck learning..

November 21, 2017
Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.