https://www.duolingo.com/ChanningRogers

Hard or Easy? Question and Opinions.

TLDR: What do you think would help the Chinese course and/or what has helped you in your Journey in learning Mandarin?

Start off by saying I've seen lot of post are discussions on what's wrong with the Chinese course. I don't think that there is anything specifically wrong with it. Could stuff be added and/or changed? Yes. It's still beta. But is it hard or easy? For me personally, it's hard. Very hard. Now some would argue "Duh it's Chinese" but I don't think that's the case. Is it harder then other languages? Yes,I somewhat believe that because there is so much information you need to know. For example 我 - Wǒ. Both are I/me. In English it's just I or me. There's just so much information that is needed to learn Chinese, I think the main question you need to ask yourself is HOW are you learning. For example German course I feel is great, it starts you out slow and you learn words and what they mean, but for the Chinese course you somewhat learn what they mean, but normally at the end of the lesson. Which makes it hard for me. I know it's in Beta, but I also feel the way the went about this course was with a different mindset. That's just opinion obviously most if not all of this is, but other might be able to relate in situations, but I feel what would honestly completely change the Chinese course for what it is right now. Would be to add Pinyin with the Characters. for Example: 我 and under it, it shows Wǒ. Also starting off learning what you're doing rather then just doing. Now is it bad it's like this? no. It is great and could help a lot of people and there are a lot of people who would rather learn this way. Might be easier for them. I'd like to know others opinions. Also keep in mind it's in Beta a lot will change, but it most likely wont be soon. This is all bias and opinionated. feel free to comment and give advice or opinions.

November 24, 2017

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/EATandNAP

I feel like it would be best if it started teaching pinyin to characters just to have people have a grasp of the pinyin (emphasis on learning pinyin), then move to pictures+pinyin+characters, then to pinyin+characters (emphasis on remembering meanings of characters/ phrases), then to phrases and simple sentence structures, and then finally to more complex sentence structures. The current structure jumps straight from teaching pinyin to rather complex sentence structures in lessons. I feel like there could be a lot more steps in between in the current structure.

November 27, 2017
Learn Chinese in just 5 minutes a day. For free.