Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/LeMaitre

Some doubts regarding 'Le Passé Composé'

LeMaitre

I'm having some trouble with le passé composé recently and am seeking solutions. Here are my doubts :

• I have understood that when the noun is feminine, you insert an extra 'e' at the end, but I found out that many a times this was not the case. For ex - You add an 'e' to the verbs aller, devenir etc if the noun is feminine ~ Elle est allée. But for the verbs regarder, appeler etc, you don't use an extra 'e' ~ Elle a regardé, as I checked it out here So how do you know whether an extra 'e' is needed or not? Is it just arbitrary or are some rules followed? This is really confusing me.

• My other doubt is as to the usage of 's' for the third person plural (ils, elles) and the first person plural (nous). Again taking the example of aller and devenir, you add an 's' if it's ils, elles or nous ~ Nous sommes allés, Elles sont devenues. And again for regarder, appeler etc, you don't use an 's' ~ Ils ont regardé. So again how do you know whether an 's' is needed or not?

Can anyone please help me? Merci en avance :)

4 years ago

7 Comments