https://www.duolingo.com/Thomas.Heiss

[Challenge]: Learn (3000-)5000 words in 12 days on Lingvist until end of this year (2017)

Hi all,

I would like to bring you a new end of 2017 year challenge:

How many words can you learn in 12 days from 12/20/2017 until 12/31/2017 on www.lingvist.com?

Can you manage to hit the ~(3000-) 5000 words goal or do you reach less?

For the Polyglot / language cracks between you:
Feel free to show us WHAT exactly / this is possible! :-) :-)

......preferably in a NEW (learning) language you started or wanted to start to learn (e.g almost from scratch or low beginner skills), but of course:

Please also feel free to signup if you have just completed your DuoLingo tree, passed it 1/2 to 3/4....or you just started with your tree and language learning and you want to use multiple resources (like I do with DuoLingo, Memrise, 50languages, Mondly, [uTalk]).
Impossible in such a short time, you may tell? Probably, agreed! :-)

When I started with learning Portuguese on Memrise my usual new word count was ~15/day to max 1-2 Duo skills/levels, that is max 7 x 10 = total of ~70 words (e.g verbs, adjectives, adverbs) per level.

Personally I have registered on Lingvist with the PT-EN reverse course (waiting for a new forward Portuguese course) after I finished my DuoLingo Portuguese tree:

• a) to have some fun
  • b) extend my vocabulary
  • c) and start reading Lingvist e-mail newsletters in the Portuguese language.

Lingvist has recently announced that next year (2018) accounts will be migrated to "Lingvist Free", where the max. words learning count will be a cut to ~3000.

If you want to learn ~4000/5000 words (probably depending on course) you would need to go with "Lingvist Unlimited":

So for the next 11 (12) days it seems this may be your last chance to learn the remaining 2,000 batch words on their platform:

Some background informations:

• Lingvist works quite different to any other flashcard software, as it presents you with a sentence / context, reads the final audio of the full sentence and only requires you to type the single word, which you have to fill (type) into blanks.

• you can translate / guess the correct target word with the help of a full sentence (context)

• Lingvist sentences are different than Memrise or DuoLingo

• If you click the "up arrow" on the right above flashcard grey panel, the FULL example sentence of the source/base language will be shown!!

• Lingvist does N O T use multiple-choice exercises, and it won't require you to fully type a sentence (in comparision to Memrise "all typing" activated user script).

• Typing the word in your L2 target language:
    If you start to learn Spanish or French, you have e.g to type in your target language, not the way how DuoLingo teaches reading in the L2 target Spanish/French language, but letting you to translate into L1 base/source English in forward trees.

• You can review ALL learned (2017) words in the next year, according to their account feature matrix.

Tell us:

• 1) For what languages you have registered (German, English, Spanish, French, Russian)

• 2) What your current knowledge in your target language is and what portals you have used so far (e.g Memrise, DuoLingo tree, Mondly, etc.)

• 3) What source <-> target language pair (e.g Portuguese (EU/Portugal) -> English)

• 4) How many words you could learn per day and 12 days

• 5) Upload before (intro test) and finishing screenshots after the mission is completed, how many words you will have learned

• 6) Tell us about your own experiences learning on Lingvist and any edges you hit on your daily progress

Who want's to be part of this experiment?

Sorry that I didn't write earlier, but their newsletter and announcement is still quite fresh.

Have fun!

Viele Grüße / Best regards

Thomas

1 year ago

7 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/annika_a

Haha, you're crazily ambitious! :-)

Because you can only add new words in Lingvist when all your earlier words are "in order", I sometimes struggle to add any new words at all (and can add maybe 30 new ones per language on a really good day). That's different from Duolingo and Memrise, where you can learn new stuff even if you haven't practiced the old stuff well enough yet.

This is one reason I think I'll be paying for Lingvist Unlimited, although I've only ever paid for books and courses so far during my language learning journey: I really want to finish the whole Spanish and Russian decks, not just 3,000 words, and it's going to take me some time to do. I have previously finished the French deck (4,300 words or so at the time), which was enormously useful for reading in French.

Good luck, though!

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/gSY55q97

It is an interesting challenge. Unfortunately I have no time. :( ...But I wish you good luck!

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/CarlosLM.

1) I took the GERMAN course.

2) I'm pre-intermediate

3) German from English. My mother tongue is Spanish, but my English level is high, B2-C1, so it's easy for me to follow the course.

4) How many words you could learn per day and 11 days

I learned 130 words in total the first day (yesterday, December 20th) I'll try to learn a minimum of 300 words a day, and my main goal for the 11 days is to go beyond the 3,000 word threshold. The ideal thing would be to complete the course, but maybe it's too difficult for me... I don't know, in any case I'll take the challenge, and while I have fun studying in Lingvist I'll keep going and going.

5) Upload before (intro test) and finishing screenshots after the mission is completed, how many words you will have learned

Sorry, I'm too lazy for that. Maybe if I manage to finish the German course, I'll upload a screenshot as proof. ;-)

6) Tell us about your own experiences learning on Lingvist and any edges you hit on your daily progress.

1-day: 130 words in total

I like the cloze test system at the moment, and that I can practice my pronunciation after I complete the sentences. By the way, I would like to have listening exercises from time to time, ie, listening a sentence without having to read it beforehand.

There's a detail, if I miss a word, the program shows me the declination of such word. However, knowing to fill a gap, doesn't mean that I know the declination of the word, as sometimes I have doubts. Maybe I can consult the declination of my known words, well, I'll find out this soon.

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ZeDarkLord

Looks like a good tool. I am working on my German vocabulary, while working on my knowledge of German grammar here on Duolingo.

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/CarlosLM.

These are my final results(*), since now I'm buried by a ton of cards to review. I "cheated" on Dec 28th, copying what the Autocomplete function told me, and then I listened the corresponding sentence. The big mistake I made was doing all this just before going to bed, if I had "cheated" the system first thing in the morning, maybe I could have added 1,000 or 1,500 new words, before being stuck with the old cards.

By the way, yesterday I tested the MONDLY languages website. Sadly, my 7 days of free access to Premium contents was over, so I could only tested the free lessons. I really liked the conversation bot, and that the system not only accepted the provided options, you could try with other ones and some were accepted in the fake conversation. In a nutshell, Monlylanguages reminded me Duolingo, but with more bells and whistles. Now I registered with a new email account, with the hope that they will offer me again the temporary free access to Premium contents. If I'm not lucky, I'll be stuck with the daily lesson :-( (Well, there's always the option of paying to be a "gold" member and have free access, but as I'm unemployed, I'd rather make the most of the free options like Duolingo or Youtube)

So now I've decided to do my particular "3-month German challenge", and I will focus mainly on Duolingo, doing three trees: German from Spanish (because it's shorter than the English one), then German from English, and finally at least a reversed tree. I will complement it with other sources, such as Youtube, simplified audiobooks (mainly with text), and other websites. As for Lingvist I'll keep reading the grammar notes, and when I finish at least one Duolingo German tree, I'll retake the word lessons to get to the 3,000 word limit, but this time I'll go very slowly.

Of course my Portuguese needs some maintenance, but I prefer to watch youtube lessons than redoing the old duolingo lessons, as I have acquired good listening skills. My favourite channels are: https://www.youtube.com/user/philipebrazuca/videos (Portuguese for Spanish lessons, but the professor uses an Immersion technique, so he rarely speaks in Spanish which is good). And the already mentioned "Viajante Independente" channel https://www.youtube.com/user/MrFabinhoMonteiro ( I suscribed in first place because he has a lot of Esperanto videos, then I abandoned the channel because I didn't understand Brazilian Portuguese well, and now, thanks to Duolingo I can enjoy the rest of his videos)

Finally, good luck with your current challenge Thomas.Heiss, and with your future endeavours! If you have a new cool language challenge, I won't hesitate to join in! ;-))

Of course, Happy New Year, Thomas, and to the rest of language lovers!!

(*) My final results:

• Total study time: 6 hr 54 min 38 sec
  • 1144 words in total (0 today)
  • 7 days of challenge (or 10 days including the hiatus)
  • I missed 3 days of the challenge (Dec 21, 22, and 23) because I was too obsessed with the news of the local elections in Catalonia, where the pro-independence leaders won in number of seats (escaños), but not in number of votes.

Total words: 1144Total days: 7

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/elvper
Plus

The website looks great and is great in several aspects but one thing that's an absolutely no-go for me is it's inefficient speed. I do not understand why these kind of sites are always so ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ sloooow. It's like Tinycards where there's 3 seconds in between exercises for no reason but "hey look, an animation to the next exercise".

What specifically bothers me:

Fill in a word and then it still needs to say the entire sentence before it goes to the next, which equals a variable amount of seconds of wasted time. Especially for words that you already know that equals a lot of wasted time. Plus the need to press enter when you've given a correct solution (should auto-accept). I want: fill it in and boom next (instantly), i.e. by either doing speech while already on the next page or already pronouncing the words you don't need to fill-in before you've given the solution.

It bores me to death, while with speed I do not get bored. When I get bored I make more errors, when I make more errors for things I already know I get even more bored plus frustrated.

As a wise man (Jeremy Clarkson) once said: "Speeeeed!".

(no I do not mind to wait and I do have patience, but the part I absolutely detest is "for no (good) reason" such as having unnecessary and avoidable delays)

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Marco_LoneWolf

Hello Thomas, I did not found source <-> target language pair (german -> español). Is there no combination on lingvist? Viele Grüße / Best regards M@rco

1 year ago
Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.