https://www.duolingo.com/margusoja

The position of "sich"

Could anyone explain the position of "sich" in the following sentence? Jessie kann es nicht glauben, dass sich ihre Mutter mit Jessies Professor verabredet. This sentence is a question from one of the new German Stories. Is there any rule for this kind of word order?

Can you also use the following word order? _ Jessie kann es nicht glauben, dass ihre Mutter sich mit Jessies Professor verabredet_.

12/27/2017, 6:56:16 AM

4 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/stepintime

"...dass ihre Mutter sich..." sounds more natural to me, but both are fine.

The rule for the given sentence would be that "sich" follows the "dass" directly ("...dass sich gestern ihre Mutter..."). It also works for other reflexive pronouns: "...dass mich ihre Mutter einlädt" ("...that her mother invites me").

I don't know if it's just me, but some sentences I can think of that put the pronoun in front make my brain trip over the word order at first, but at a closer look they seem to be perfectly all right...

12/27/2017, 8:14:13 AM

https://www.duolingo.com/Kit845299

I agree, I had the same thought.

12/27/2017, 9:35:33 AM

https://www.duolingo.com/Andreas305

In German we don't have such a fixed word order as in English.

In that case - position of the reflexive pronoun in the subclause - both is correct.

But I have to disappoint you: there is a tendency to prefer the pronoun BEFORE the subject.

If nobody comes forward, we will drive off.

Wenn sich keiner mehr meldet, werden wir losfahren. => most popular version

Wenn keiner sich mehr meldet, werden wir losfahren. => also correct

Wenn keiner mehr sich meldet, werden wir losfahren. => also correct

12/31/2017, 3:04:45 AM

https://www.duolingo.com/stepintime

I agree that "Wenn sich keiner mehr meldet" would definitely be preferred, but generally speaking, in my mind the preferred word order seems to be quite random. Maybe it's a bit of a regional thing, too.

• After "wenn", always put "sich" before the subject if the subject is only a pronoun: "Wenn er sich nicht ändert, ..." ("If he doesn't change [his ways], ..."). "Wenn sich er..." would be wrong.

• You can totally say, "Wenn sich Peter nicht ändert", but personally I think "Wenn Peter sich nicht ändert" sounds better.

• Somehow a bit more acceptable: "Wenn sich die Farbe ändert, darfst du fahren." ("When the colour changes, you are allowed to drive on."); "Wenn sich Blau und Gelb vermischen, wird daraus Grün." ("When blue and yellow mix, it results in green.")

• "Ich glaube nicht, dass er sich ändert." - if it's only a pronoun, always put "sich" after the pronoun.

• "Ich glaube nicht, dass Peter sich ändert." - preferredly this way round.

• "Ich glaube nicht, dass sich die Farbe ändert." ("I don't think the colour is changing"); "Ich glaube nicht, dass sich die Präsidenten einig werden." ("I don't think the presidents will come to an agreement.") - these work just as fine as "dass die Farbe sich" and "dass die Präsidenten sich".

• "Ich glaube nicht, dass sich Peter die Haare schneiden lässt." ("I don't think Peter will have his hair cut.") works almost as well as "...dass Peter sich...". I guess the general rule is that if there's an object in the sentence, "dass sich [subject]" becomes more acceptable. However, I think the sentence is really more elegant and clearer if you put "sich" after the subject.

• "Ich glaube, dass die Deutschen und die Österreicher sich nicht mögen." ("I think the Germans and the Austrians don't like each other.") would be preferred.

The rest of this post is just a lot of "sich"-placement variations which, I think, shows that it's practically unpredictable (but mostly it's "[subject] sich"):

• "Er sagt, dass die beiden sich in Italien verliebt haben." ("He says that the two of them fell in love in Italy.") would be preferred.

• "Er sagt, dass die Familie sich ein Haus gekauft hat." ("He says that the family has bought a house (for themselves).")

• "Er sagt, dass sich der Mann oft in seinem Zimmer einsperrt." ("He says that the man often locks himself into his room.")

• "Er sagt, dass die Frau sich / sich die Frau mit jemandem trifft." ("He says that the woman sees somebody.")

• "Er sagt, dass die beiden sich / sich die beiden kennen." ("He says that the two of them know each other."), but preferredly "Er sagt, dass die beiden sich seit ihrer Jugend kennen." ("...since their youth")

• "Er sagt, dass der Mann sich scheiden lassen will." ("He says that the man wants to get a divorce.")

• "Er sagt, dass sich die Frau über sein Verhalten wundert." ("He says that the woman is surprised at his behaviour.")

• "Er sagt, dass der Mann sich einen Anwalt nimmt." ("He says that the man is getting a lawyer.")

• "Er sagt, dass sich der Mann endlich frei fühlt." ("He says that the man finally feels free.")

• "Er sagt, dass sich der Mann / der Mann sich nach einem Haus in Finnland umsieht." ("He says that the man is looking for (= to buy) a house in Finland.")

• "Er sagt, dass der Mann sich auf den Umzug freut." ("He says that the man is looking forward to moving (house).")

• "Er sagt, dass der Mann sich verschuldet hat." ("He says that the man has run into debt.")

• "Er sagt, dass sich der Mann sehr schämt." ("He says that the man is very ashamed of himself.")

• "Er sagt, dass der Mann sich überlegt, zurückzukommen." ("He says that the man is thinking about coming back.")

• "Er sagt, dass der Mann sich nicht noch einmal in eine Politikerin verlieben wird." ("He says that the man won't fall in love with a politician another time.")

• "Er sagt, dass sich das Publikum / dass das Publikum sich ein Happy End wünscht." ("He says that the audience would like to have a happy ending.")

• "Er sagt, dass der Mann sich erholt hat." ("He says that the man has recovered.")

• "Er sagt, dass der Mann sich jetzt für den glücklichsten Menschen der Welt hält." ("He says that the man now thinks of himself as the happiest person in the world.")

12/31/2017, 10:28:00 AM
Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.