Does anyone else have trouble trilling?
Does anyone have trouble trilling when learning a language? I have trouble pronouncing Europa in German, seems like only thing that is trilled. And if you don't know what "trilling" is, it means basically to role the r. Like in Roma.
I can't roll my Rs at all, I have a mild form of tongue-tie so it might be because of that. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ I just try to tap my Rs instead and have made peace with the fact that I'll always have weird-sounding Rs, lol. In the grand scheme of things I don't think it's that much of an impairment, as long as you make a bit of an extra effort in other areas of pronunciation to make sure you're speaking clearly.
Standard German only uses guttural trills, but, of the pronunciations on forvo, only one example actually trills 'Europa' ( /ʀ/ rather than /ʁ/). This is a completely different sound to the alveolar trill found in Spanish, Italian, etc. (although it is used in some regional dialects of German).
I never had any problem with /ʀ/, but /r/ (and particularly /r̥/) is considerably trickier to acquire the knack of, in my experience.
Tongue rolling is a dominant trait; that is, it is genetic and about 80% of people can do it. The other 20% are out of luck, unfortunately.
There is a way to do a sort of gargle in the back of your mouth that works as a substitute, but it is very difficult and hardly worth it.
I used to not be able to do it, then it just kind of came to me naturally; I believe it was the result of constantly listening to R-trilling all the time and being immersed in languages that used it. Of course, I learned it as an early teen, so it may be easier for kids to pick up native-like sounds.
I used to have a lot of trouble with rolling my R's. I was trying out Indonesian at that time and the Indonesian R is rolled. However, I could not do it. I think I spent months attempting to roll my R's at night, with the weirdest sounds only slightly resembling the rolled R coming out.
My breakthrough really came when I listened to some music in a foreign language (not Indonesian) that also had a rolling R. I started singing along after listening to it for a while and suddenly something clicked: I was finally able to roll my R's!
I suggest you listen to a lot of rolled R's in both spoken and sung form if you want to learn how to do it. You should also make sure to relax your tongue. In order to roll the R, it needs to be able to 'wave in the air' which is not possible if it's all tense. Try placing your tongue just a little behind your front teeth just on the edge of the roof of your mouth and let out the air in one big gust while keeping your tongue relaxed. Try to make your lips flap around. You know, a bit like how horses do it. If you do it right you'll feel (and hear) your tongue vibrating. It takes practice to roll your R's, so don't feel bad if it keeps failing. Every single human has the capability to do some really, really awesome things with their voice including the rolled R.
Fortunately, German does not have a rolled R, but a throaty one, so you don't really have to learn how to roll your R's, the same goes for French. Still, I hope this helps.
If you don't know how to make a certain sound, you can observe people who do know how to do it. It is a matter of learning how to use your mouth and tongue. We can all make the same sounds. In this case you have to curl your tongue upwards untill right behind your upper teeth. Then you have to open and close the gap repeatedly while exhaling. Maybe you can find an example on youtube.