https://www.duolingo.com/Nick447035

Suggestion about the way new words are learned

I just started the Japanese tree on mobile (I say this because perhaps this is a mobile only issue) and there is something I noticed pretty quickly that I think could be done better.

If you are presented with an English word and you have to translate it with Hiragana, there is literally nothing I can do except guess or look at the answer by touching the English word. I think it would be a lot better if we can hear what the word sounds like in Japanese so we can use the audio to try to pick the right Hiragana. The wy it is right now I don't feel like I'm learning anything because I'm just looking at the right answer and picking it.

Especially later on when the sentences get longer more advanced, I think it would be a fantastic skill to be able to have when translating from English to Japanese. To be able to hear many Hiragana in quick succession and be able to touch the right answer because we know what they're saying.

The other way around (translating from Hiragana to the English word)...there isn't much that can be done. You just have to now it. But presenting you with the English word first and having you pick the right Hiragana, knowing what it sounds like in Japanese would make it more satisfying and a better way to learn in my opinion.

Still, I'm loving this course and I'm definitely interested in Japanese now.

January 1, 2018

0 Comments

Learn Japanese in just 5 minutes a day. For free.