Is it just me, or did a bunch of features just disappear from Duolingo?
I haven't been on Duolingo for a good while, but since revisiting I've noticed that some of the things that used to be on here aren't, such as:
- Immersion (the thing where you translated documents)
- Conjugation (I'm pretty that when you hovered over a word, it would show all the conjugations)
- Posting on other people's walls
- Personal/friends activity (you could see what lessons and skills people have been working on)
- Extended Progress Test (never tried it myself, but I don't see it in the shop anymore)
- In-lesson tips (hovering over a noun would give me an explanation for masculine and feminine nouns)
There's probably more stuff that's changed since I've last been on here, but are these changes here for everyone, or am I in some kind of beta-testing thing?
Those things are gone, yes, but there has been a lot of new stuff created. Off the top of my head:
* Stories (in "Labs" - currently being beta tested and only for a few languages from English)
* Bots (on the apps)
* Clubs (on apps; you can chat with your club members here)
* Duolingo Events (in "Labs" - currently being beta tested)
* TinyCards - https://tinycards.duolingo.com
* Podcasts - only available in Spanish so far https://www.duolingo.com/comment/25469851
* Duolingo Plus if you want to get rid of ads and be able to download content for offline practicing https://www.duolingo.com/comment/24911332
There have been some other things introduced that didn't make the cut, too, like a health system.
I still have health too when I use the app, but other people I know who use the app don't have it. I'm not 100% sure why this is but I've always just assumed that it was an A/B test where they give some people health and don't give it to others to compare them and see who's making more progress, so they know if it's a good idea to make it a permanent addition.
You can N O T* click on the other club members to access their profile.
This only works for the mobile dashboard, if you directly follow users on the web portal.
I am a "club admin" of two clubs nd I can even not find out users full nickname, when they only have set their prename.
Even the admin can not go to users profile pages from the clubs tab!!!
On some trees I've gotten to having roughly half the exercises (I guess the Duolingo official word is "challenges") into the target language, very roughly half being multiple choice and half free typing. Do the skill levels wind up being significantly different than that: virtually all free response challenges into the target language?
Even if they just evened out the experience between trees (I don't get more than maybe a tenth of translations into Russian on my Russian tree, for example — clearly ridiculous), I would be happy. But if it could mimic the reverse tree experience, I would be happier still :)
This article might answer some of your questions about changes on Duolingo:
There's probably more stuff that's changed since I've last been on here
Many change are mentioned in the ....
English Duolingo Help Center
Popular English discussions
Use http://translatihan.com/ as a replacement for Duolingo's immersion.
It is managed by Mark van Roode, a well-know former user of Immersion.