Exercises successfully completed - but not recording - anyone else experiencing this?
Hi. I've had this problem multiple times now. I successfully complete a series of exercises. The last one is correct, so it should then record the experience points (XP) and potentially some lingot, but it doesn't. The continue/check button is no longer active. I can still "discuss" the answer or quit. Is anyone else experiencing this?
I have reported this thrice now - five of the lesson-icons on my homepage now will not update to full health no matter how many times I successfully complete the exercises. It is incredibly frustrating to see this continuing to happen to more and more icons whilst getting no response from duolingo about it.
Earlier I was working in Irish and it shifted me for the next exercise to French. !!!
This can happen when Duolingo starts synchronizing your courses with her servers, if ......
- you are logged in two different devices in different courses
- you're logged in with two different tabs in different courses
- you are logged in on your phone both in the App and in the web version of Duolingo in different courses.
It happens more:
and at least twenty other users in the last 12 months. See the Discussion lists.
Probably, this is also the reason for not registering your 50 xp.
Try these things:
- Refresh the page. If that doesn't work try the next step.
- Clear your browser's cookies, close the window, then open the window and return to Duolingo.
- On rare occasions it can take between 5 and 15 minutes for the changes to register. So, if 1 and 2 didn't work, try waiting up to 15 minutes and refreshing your page.
Meanwhile, will you please edit your post and tell the techs what operating system and browser you're using? For example, I am using Windows7/Firefox.
If your situation resolves itself, please let us know. ^_^
- Refreshing the page just restarts with a new exercise.
- Clearing the browsers's cookies will also lose the exercise session results.
- I've given it up to 1/2 hour, and the results still didn't register, and the page was still stuck. With all three steps I lose the successfully completed exercise. Today it's happened twice -- once when I would have also gotten a "full heart" bonus. The other day it happened at least 3 times. I wouldn't mind if I lost my experience points every once in awhile -- after all, my main purpose here is not XP, but learning the language. But it's rather frustrating when it happens this often. I'm usually using Safari (version 6.1.3) on a Mac (OS 10.7.5), but I also use Chrome on Windows 7. It's usually the Safari version that freezes.
If you've finished a lesson you have nothing to lose by doing steps 1 and 2. Without doing 1 and 2 it sounds like you lose the points. So, there is no risk to you. Those are the same steps I use when this happens to me, but I am, as I said, on Windows. It looks like we'll have to have someone with a blue ring help you from here. I hope it all gets sorted out :)
Again… that does not solve my problem.
If I go to any other page without "continuing" through to get the experience points, I will not get the points!
Whatever problem you encountered. I expect it was different than what I'm getting. (By the way, the buttons to discuss the sentence or report a problem still work, so I've used the report a problem to report some of the times this has happened.) However the "continue" button will not work! Even though the final answer has been checked and marked as correct, I do not get the continue button, and it does not automatically progress -- as it will sometimes after you hit return to continue when it progresses through the itemization of what you've "received" for the successful completion.
It just did it again. I have screen shots this time. I'll see if I can figure out how to post them.
A successfully completed exercise that can be recorded by clicking on "continue" looks like…
When the bug I'm discussing occurs, the screen looks like this…
The "complete" button is not there or active. It does not show up even if you wait for it. Leaving the page means that the exercise's completion is not recorded and the user does not get experience points (XP) or lingot.
So, I'm just taking a shot in the dark here because I'm not part of the tech team. My check button disappears when I am taking the English for Japanese course as well. I generally have to click outside of the translate box and around the check area. Sometimes after doing that I hit enter. It's not a refined art for me, but, somehow, I get the check button to appear. I upvoted this in case that doesn't work. I'm sure staff will come around when they have time to see what's going on in here. If they don't, try using the search bar to see if someone created a similar post before you did. If so, leave a comment there, briefly describe your problem, and include a link to this discussion. If you don't hear from them in the next 2 days, use the white Support button on the left.
Happened again. This time I had all 3 hearts -- so in addition to the 13 XP, I should have gotten a lingot. I tried clicking around on other places as well as the buttons, but again, the only links still working were "report a problem", "discuss sentence" and the top menu bar which takes you off the page WITHOUT receiving the credit! :-(