https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Strategon

[GUIDE] The Passé Composé (and MORE!)

The passé composé form is used to describe an event in the past, just like the past tense in English would. If you have been learning the present tense for a while and you think it’s the right time to move on to another tense, the passé composé is the perfect tense to continue your journey before moving on to something else even harder (subjonctif, I’m looking at you!). You need not to worry, I have tried my best writing this guide for you in case you want to learn the passé composé tense.

The passé composé is used to tell an event that happened in the past.

Je travaille ( I work ) -> J’ai travaillé

The passé composé (literally « composed past ») is composed of two parts : avoir + participe passé

Most of the time, the participe passé ends in é (travaillé, parlé, mangé), but then again, I need to remind you that in every rule there has to be exceptions, such as battu (battre), élu (élire), lu (lire), ri (rire).

Although most of the verbs use « avoir » to compose the passé composé form, there are several verbs that use the « être » : https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fe/b5/ec/feb5ec58617f8792645eb36677c0c8a1.jpg

For example : Je suis né(e) The accord (e/s) follows the subject’s gender. If I am female, I would say née, but if I am with a group of female friends and we’re trying to say we’re born on the same day, we’d say « Nous sommes nées …». An extra « e » to express that we’re female and another « s » to express plural form.

Another type of verbs that use être is the reflexive verbs.

Il s’est lavé(e) Je me suis brossé(e) les dents Ils se sont levé(e)(s) à 6h du matin

NOTE : If the verb uses « avoir », you would not need any extra « e » or « s ». « e » and « s » are both accords reserved only for verbs using être and reflexive verbs.

AVOIR (MANGER) J’ai mangé Tu as mangé Il/elle/on/ça a mangé Nous avons mangé Vous avez mangé Ils ont mangé

ÊTRE (PARTIR) Je suis parti(e) Tu es parti(e) Il/elle/on/ça est parti(e) Nous sommes parti(e)(s) Vous êtes parti(e)(s) Ils sont parti(e)(s)

REFLEXIVE (S’EN ALLER) Je m’en suis allé(e) Tu t’en es allé(e) Il s’en est allé(e) Nous nous en sommes allé(e)(s) Vous vous en êtes allé(e)(s) Il s’en sont allé(e)(s)

COD

Before jumping into this part, I would expect you to have already understood the basic concept and the changes made when you replace an object with COD. If you haven’t learned COD, I suggest you to learn it as it is a major thing in the French language.

Je mange la pomme (I eat the apple)

In the COD form, it would be « Je la mange ». This form is in present. But you might be wondering, how do you change it into the passé composé form.

It’s simple.

Je la mange -> Je l’ai mangée

I added an extra « e » behind « mangé » because the word we’re referring to is « la », and « la » refers to « la pomme ». If the object is plural and masculine, we would add an extra « s », if it’s plural and feminine, we would add an extra « es ».

Here’s to compare them all :

J’ai lu le livre (n, masculine, singular) -> Je l’ai lu. J’ai entendu ton histoire (n, feminine, singular) -> Je l’ai entendue J’ai ouvert les fenêtres (n, feminine, plural) -> Je les ai ouvertes. J’ai tué les moustiques (n, masculine, plural) -> Je les ai tués

QUE

Constructions with « que » also use accords for passé composé.

Look at the example below : Les pommes qu’il m’a données étaient bonnes.

The verb after « que » must agree to the object that is being reffered to.

More examples : Le livre que vous m’avez donné La fleur qu’elle a aimée.

GENERAL NOTES : - If the verb is placed after « à » or « de », « avoir » and « être » are not conjugated. - Constructions like « avoir fait qqch », would mean you have to conjugate the « avoir » and replace « qqch » with something, while the « fait » would be the place for participe passé (which you can’t change!)

January 19, 2018

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/FrenchCamille

Merci! Lingot pour tu!

January 19, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/JamesDanie529436

Merci, aussi! C'est tres utile.

January 20, 2018
Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.