https://www.duolingo.com/kirezatav

'Chodzić' versus 'przechodzić'?

What's the difference between the two? In the reverse course (PL>EN) I came across the sentence "Ona przechodzi obok mnie" (with the verb translated as 'walks'). What's the difference between this and "Ona chodzi obok mnie"? Dzięki if anyone can help.

January 21, 2018

6 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/KVRMx

On my Google translate " chodzi obok mnie " is rendered : walks next to me ; whereas " przechodzi obok mnie " means: passes by me.... But I'm sure our Duolingo Mod's will give the most precise direction.

January 21, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/PawelStefaniuk

As native I can say that "chodzić" means "to walk". "Przechodzić" got many meanings

1) "to pass by" e.g. Codziennie przechodzę obok twojej szkoły. Everyday I pass by your school.

2) "to walk through" Zawsze przechodzę kałużę suchą nogą. I always walk through puddles with dry foot.

3) "to finish video game" Wczoraj przeszedłem wiedźmina. Yesterday I finished The Witcher.

4)"to play video game (aimming to finish it)" Przechodzę właśnie Diable. I am playing right now Diablo.

There are even more meanings. https://pl.wiktionary.org/wiki/przechodzi%C4%87

Basically it about walking.

January 21, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/MyaRexa

You explained it well! Good examples, too :)

I just wanted to add:

"Chodzić" - be walking, be going (on regular basis); ex.: Chodzę do szkoły. - I go to school.

"Iść" - to go, to walk (if there's no repetitive time period like "codziennie"/"every day" specified - on this occasion/right now/one instance); ex.: Idę do domu. - I am going home.

Exception: "Chodzę w kółko" - "I'm walking in circles" (right now)

More about it if someone's interested. Here too ;)

Przechodzić - go/walk (also be going/walking) by/through/past (either once or on regular basis if specified)

"przechodzić grę" - to get through the game;

"przechodzić przez drzwi" - "to go/walk through the door";

"przechodzić obok" - "to go/walk by/past"

• "przeszłość" - "the past" is derived from "something that went by" - "przeszło"

Here are more examples in English, there are also meanings like: to cross (the street), to pass, to transform, to experience

January 22, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/Antek74820

She walks around London - Ona chodzi po Londynie. She passes next to London - Ona przechodzi obok Londynu. I am sorry, but my English is not very good and i can be wrong :)

January 23, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/arienrhod1

In English, there are words called prepositions that are connected to nouns that come after them (hence, "preposition"), and not immediately to the verb itself. For example the verb "to go" when it describes movement, in the phrases "go by", "go near", "go through", "go down", "go to", "go over", "go across" (the object here is for example some place).

Polish also has prepositions: "iść obok" (go by), "iść przez" (go through/across/over), "iść do" (go to), iść nad (go over).

In English there are also particles, that look like (or are identical to) prepositions, but are in fact a part of the verb. For example:

• to come by (the office) => preposition
  • to come by (the fortune) => particle

• to live down (the street) => preposition

• to live down (the incident) => particle

Still, the particle kind of describes the flavor of the resulting phrasal verb, even if it means something completely different from the base verb. Polish does not have "particles" in that sense, so learning this aspect of English tends to be quite confusing for many Poles.

Alternatively, in Polish that function is largely taken over by verb prefixes, although, especially when movement verbs are concerned, the meaning of the base verb with preposition and the verb with the prefix often overlap. Also, prepositions are also used with the resultant verb, it's not like you use one or the other.

English also has some prefixes that give a "flavor" to verbs, e.g. re-in redo, remake, relearn etc. that means "to do again" or over in overcook, overwork, overdo that means "to do too much".

In Polish, when a verb, especially one that describes movement, begins with prze- it can have a sense of going (through space) from point A to B added to its base meaning:

• iść, chodzić = to go => przejść, przechodzić = to go/walk through
  • płynąć, pływać = to swim => przepłynąć, przepływać = to swim through
  • lać = to pour => przelać, przelewać = to pour from X into y, to transfer (also about money)
  • bić = to strike => przebić, przebijać = to strike through (to pierce)
  • robić = to do/work/make => przerobić, przerabiać = to work through, to alter (to do/make/work from state A to B)
  • ciąć = to cut => przeciąć, przecinać = to cut through, to intersect, to cut into two
  • chylić się = to incline =>przechylić, przechylać = to tilt, to tip
  • czytać = to read =>przeczytać = to read from start to finish
  • budzić = to wake up =>przebudzić = to awaken, to transition from sleeping to awake

You still often use prepositions with the resultant verb:

• przechodzić obok budynku = to go/walk bythe building
  • przepływać obok mamy = to swim by my mum
  • przebić się przez ścianę = to strike through (pierce through) the wall
  • przelewać do naczynia = to pour (from something else) into the vessel

I think this is the main flavor of meaning the prefix prze- can give a verb, although there are some more (e.g. grać = to play the game => przegrać = to lose the game), here is the list: https://sjp.pwn.pl/szukaj/prze-.html

Some other common verb prefixes are:

przy- gives the flavor of getting close, joining, e.g.:

• iść, chodzić = to go => przyjść, przychodzić = to go/walk closer, to come
  • płynąć, pływać = to swim => przypłynąć, przypływać = to swim closer, to come by swimming
  • bić = to strike => przybić, przybijać = to fasten with nails
  • ciąć = to cut => przyciąć, przycinać = to cut closer (to trim, to clip)
  • ciągnąć = to pull =>przyciągnąć, przyciągać = to pull closer

od-/ode- gives the flavor of returning to the base state, getting further away, separating or taking something away, e.g.:

• iść, chodzić = to go => odejść, odchodzić = to go/walk away
  • płynąć, pływać = to swim => odpłynąć, odpływać = to swim away
  • lać = to pour => odlać, odlewać = to pour off a fluid, to cast a mould (also colloquial for "to take a leak")
  • bić = to strike => odbić, odbijać = to bounce, to repel, to reflect, to parry, to ward off (the strike goes away from you)
  • ciąć = to cut => odciąć, odcinać = to cut away
  • czytać = to read =>odczytać, odczytywać = to read aloud (your reading separates from you)
  • ciągnąć = to pull =>odciągnąć, odciągać = to pull away
  • barwić = to color =>odbarwić, odbarwiać = to decolorize
  • rosnąć = to grow =>odrosnąć, odrastać = to grow back

w-/we- gives the flavor of moving inside, or, sometimes getting to the top of, e.g.:

• iść, chodzić = to go => wejść, wchodzić = to go/walk in, to go/walk up (e.g. wchodzić po schodach = to go up the stairs)
  • płynąć, pływać = to swim => wpłynąć, wpływać = to swim in ("wpływać" can also mean "to influence" = "to pour inside someone's head" I guess...)
  • lać = to pour => wlać, wlewać = to pour into
  • bić = to strike => wbić, wbijać = to thrust into (to drive in, to stab, to hammer)
  • ciąć = to cut => wciąć, wcinać = to cut in (also "to interrupt the conversation")
  • czytać = to read =>wczytać, wczytywać = to read in (to load the data, or to get really absorbed in reading)
  • ciągnąć = to pull =>wciągnąć, wciągać = (depending on context) to inhale (to pull the air into the lungs), to put on e.g. the pants, to drag someone into something, to hoist e.g. a flag etc.

wy- gives the flavor of getting outside, moving up, e.g.:

• iść, chodzić = to go => wyjść, wychodzić = to go/walk out
  • płynąć, pływać = to swim => wypłynąć, wypływać = to swim out, to set sail
  • lać = to pour => wylać, wylewać = to pour out, to empty, to fire somebody from work
  • bić = to strike => wybić, wybijać = to knock out (to remove, to knock something out of one's head), to strike which starts the movement up
  • ciąć = to cut => wyciąć, wycinać = to cut out
  • ciągnąć = to pull =>wyciągnąć, wyciągać = to pull out
  • rosnąć = to grow =>wyrosnąć, wyrastać = to grow up to be something, to grow out of something

z-/ś-/s-/ze- gives the flavor of getting done completely, getting down, getting together, getting erased e.g.:

• iść, chodzić = to go => zejść, zchodzić = to go/walk down; to gather, to meet, to coincide
  • płynąć, pływać = to swim => spłynąć, spływać = to swim/flow down ("spływaj!" is a colloquialism for "get lost!"/"get out!")
  • lać = to pour => zlać, zlewać = to pour down (to decant; to merge together)
  • bić = to strike => zbić, zbijać = to strike completely (e.g. to break a glass, to give a trashing, to nail together, to make a fortune)
  • robić = to do/work/make => zrobić = to do completely
  • ciąć = to cut => ściąć, ścinać = to cut down, to cut completely
  • myć = to wash => zmyć, zmywać = to wash off/away
  • chylić się = to incline =>schylić, schylać = to bend down ("schylić" is used a lot more often than the base "chylić")
  • budzić = to wake up =>zbudzić = to wake up completely
March 7, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/ludus_

Both verbs have several meanings, unfortunately The most useful ones:

Chodzić 1) to walk: "On chodzi po ulicy": He walks in the street 2) "chodzić z kimś": to be in a relationship with sb, be with sb "Chodzę z Anną": I am with Ann, literally: I am walking with Ann

Przechodzić 1) to pass through/away/by: "Przechodzę obok kina": I am passing (by) the cinema "Moja choroba przechodzi": My illness is passing away "Przechodzę 5. poziom": I am passing through the 5th level

January 26, 2018