https://www.duolingo.com/WsofieW

Tips to get over "Learning blockage"

I have always found it quite easy to learn a language. So far I've studied 5 and got good grades in all of them without really trying. I've just been able to show up and listen and then start to talk and feel safe about it. I've never cared about using correct grammar in the beginning but rather been super excited about just starting to use the language. And so, last year I had an epiphany and I decided to become a language teacher. One of my languages that I am going to teach is french.

I studied french for three years in high school but then I haven't really used it for about five years and I studied Spanish meanwhile.

I started my french courses in August 2017 and something happened... Most of the people in my class was years younger then me and came directly from high school with their french courses fresh. A lot of them had also been living in France before or had a french speaking parent. I soon realised that I was the worst one in my class. And everything just got blocked for me. This course took place in France and I've stayed here since and I'm even paying for extra courses on the side but I can't help to feel like this is impossible. How can I EVER be good enough to TEACH this language? It's not until now that I even been able to talk to people in french. I just wanted to die before and felt super ashamed of myself. This is very new to me and I don't know how to get out of it...

Any tips?

February 2, 2018

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/phb2013

Yes. Buckle down and study. It sounds like you have a good ear for languages which is a great asset. If you're serious about teaching though, you'll need to familiarize yourself with grammar. Knowing the grammar of a language is one thing. Knowing the language of the grammar is another. You'll need both to teach (and to learn). German is actually a good language to study if you want to learn about grammar - but it's not easy. Learning a new language takes effort, patience and perseverance. Stick with it and eventually you'll get to where you want to be. I wish you luck.

February 3, 2018
Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.