"You are cooking pasta."
Translation:Du kochst Nudeln.
Noodles are pasta, but not pastas are noodles. Poodles are dogs, but not all dogs are poodles. Ravioli, cannelloni, farfelle, campelle, conchiglioni, tortellini, orecciette, orzo, penne etc are all pasta but they are not noodles. The definition of noodles is pasta formed into long, thin strips or strings. The pastas listed above are not shaped into strips or strings, therefore "pasta" cannot be translated directly as "noodles."
While in Germany for 19 years, no German who I knew would ever order Nudeln al Bolognese oder Nudeln Arrabiata at an Italian restaurant (of which there are thousands in German). Nudelen = noodles; pasta = pasta; spaghetti con carne in an Italian restaurant in Germany would never show up as Nudeln mit Fleisch on the menu. Danke e grazie.
I googled "speisekarte italienisches restaurant" and had a look at the first handful of hits.
Most of them had both Italian and German titles for the various sections, e.g. "paste - Nudelgerichte". Most of them called the pasta dishes "Nudeln" or "Nudelgerichte".
The ones I checked are
- https://www.ristorante-tesoro.de/images/pdf/Speisekarte_tesoro_2018.pdf ("Pasta - Nudeln"
- http://www.costa-azzurra.de/fileadmin/download/speisekarte-jan18.pdf ("Farinacei al dente - Nudelgerichte al dente zubereitet")
- https://www.bellavista-fn.de/sites/default/files/speisekarte-bella-vista-friedrichshafen-bodensee.pdf ("Pasta Fresca - Feinschmecker-Pasta aus eigener Herstellung")
- https://www.osterialiguria.de/speisekarte/ ("Nudeln - Paste")
- https://www.dabrunoedaniele.de/speisekarte/ ("Paste - Nudel")
- http://www.beimario.com/italiener-hannover/pasta/ ("Pasta - Noodles")
- https://pinocchio-rotenburg.de/speisekarte/ ("Nudelgerichte")
- https://www.alduomo.de/files/cto_layout/downloads/AlDuomo_Speisekarte.pdf ("Nudelgerichte")
- https://www.dacapo-bispingen.de/speisekarte/pasta/ ("Pasta - Nudeln")
Of those, only two (Bellavista, Bei Mario) used "Pasta" in German; the others used "Pasta" only in Italian (it at all), with "Nudeln" or "Nudelgerichte" in German.
no German who I knew would ever order Nudeln al Bolognese oder Nudeln Arrabiata at an Italian restaurant
They would probably be more specific, and order "Spaghetti al Bolognese" or "Tagliatelle Arrabiata", wouldn't they? Much as you wouldn't order "Rice with meat" in a Chinese restaurant: you would order beef, chicken, duck, etc.
spaghetti con carne in an Italian restaurant in Germany would never show up as Nudeln mit Fleisch on the menu.
It would likely show up as "Spaghetti mit Fleisch" but be under a "Nudelgerichte" section.