Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/muel2002

Accusative Pronouns: Maybe I don't get the accented and unaccented thing. Please help!

Do the accented and unaccented forms communicate something different? Maybe one is more assertive than the other? Or are the two grammatical forms simply a different way of saying the same thing?

https://www.duolingo.com/skill/ro/Accusative-pronouns

7 months ago

4 Comments
This discussion is locked.

https://www.duolingo.com/coto.i
coto.i

The unaccented (or unstressed) pronoun is mandatory. It is used to communicate the idea.

The accented (or stressed) pronoun is optional. It is used to emphasize (to accentuate / to stress) the idea communicated by the unaccented pronoun.

They both refer to the same thing, but they are not simply two different ways to say the same thing and can't be used interchangeably.

In the following examples, I'll try to catch a few different situations to make it clear how things work.

Context 1: I want to know whom do you love. I ask...

• Question: (Tu) pe cine iubești? = Whom do you love?

Sub-context 1.1: You love Maria, who is not in sight at the moment of speaking. You answer...

• Long answer: (Eu) o iubesc pe Maria. = I love Maria. -- literally (I) her love Maria.

• Short answer: Pe Maria. = Maria.

Sub-context 1.2.a: Maria and Ioana are in sight at the moment of speaking. Pointing at Maria...

• Long answer: (Eu) o iubesc pe ea. = I love her. -- literally (I) her love her.

• Short answer: Pe ea. = Her.

Sub-context 1.2.b: Pointing first at Maria, then at Ioana, to accentuate even more the idea that I love Maria, not Ioana...

• Long answer: (Eu) o iubesc pe ea, nu pe ea. = I love her, not her. -- literally (I) her love her, not her.

• Short answer: Pe ea, nu pe ea. = Her, not her.

In the short answers, we have to skip both the verb and the unaccented pronoun. We can't skip only the verb or only the unaccented pronoun.

IMPORTANT NOTE!!! Here in context 1, the use of the accented pronoun is mandatory. For "Whom do you love?" question, "(Eu) o iubesc." is an incomplete answer. It just says that the object of love is female (because "o" is for females), but not which one it is! I still have to indicate the object of love either by mentioning its name ("pe Maria") or by pointing at the object of love itself and using the accented pronoun ("pe ea"). If the question would be "Do you love Maria/her?" then the object of love would already be indicated in the question (Maria/her) and the answer "(Eu) o iubesc." would just agree with it (it would be an extended version of the simple "Yes.")

WRONG Q and A:

• (Tu) pe cine o iubești? -- the unaccented pronoun has to be missing here!

• 1.1.long: (Eu) iubesc pe Maria. -- the unaccented pronoun is missing

• 1.2.a.long: (Eu) iubesc pe ea. -- the unaccented pronoun is missing

• 1.2.a.long: (Eu) o iubesc. -- the accented pronoun is missing | This is a valid sentence, but not a valid answer to the question "Whom do you love?" It is actually a valid answer to the questions "Do you love Maria? / Do you love her?"

• 1.2.a.short: Pe o. -- the accented pronoun can't replace the unaccented pronoun

• 1.2.b.long: (Eu) iubesc pe ea, nu pe ea. -- the unaccented pronoun is missing

• 1.2.b.short: Pe o, nu pe o. -- the accented pronoun can't replace the unaccented pronoun

Context 2: I want to know if you love Maria. I ask...

• Question: (Tu) o iubești pe Maria? = Do you love Maria? -- literally (You) her do you love Maria?

• Long answer: Da, (eu) o iubesc pe Maria. = Yes, I love Maria. -- literally Yes, (I) her love Maria.

• Short answers: Da, o iubesc. = Yes, I love her. / O iubesc. = I love her. / Yes. = Da.

WRONG Q and A:

• (Tu) iubesti pe Maria? -- the unaccented pronoun is missing

• Da, (eu) iubesc pe Maria. / Da, iubesc. / Iubesc. -- the unaccented pronoun is missing

Context 3: I want to know if you love the girl we are looking at. I ask...

• Question: (Tu) o iubești pe ea? = Do you love her? -- literally Her do you love her?

• Long answer: Da, (eu) o iubesc pe ea. = Yes, I love her. -- literally Yes, I her love her.

• Short answers: Da, o iubesc. = Yes, I love her. / O iubesc. = I love her. / Da. = Yes.

WRONG Q and A:

• Iubesti pe ea? -- the unaccented pronoun is missing

• Da, iubesc pe ea. / Iubesc. -- the unaccented pronoun is missing

Context 4: I know you love one of the two girls we are looking at. I want to know which one...

• Question: (Tu) o iubești pe ea [pointing at one of them] sau pe ea [pointing at the other one]? = Do you love her or her? -- literally (You) her do you love her or her?

• Long answer: (Eu) o iubesc pe ea, nu pe ea. = I love her, not her. -- literally (I) her love her, not her.

• Short answer: Pe ea, nu pe ea. = Her, not her.

WRONG Q and A:

• (Eu) iubesc pe ea, nu pe ea. -- the unaccented pronoun is missing

• Pe o, nu pe o. -- the accented pronoun can't replace the unaccented pronoun

IMPORTANT NOTE!!! The pointing at the girls has to be accompanied by the use of the accented pronoun. This is mandatory.

Context 5: I know you love one of the several girls we are talking about. I want to know which one...

• Question: (Tu) pe care (dintre ele) o iubești? = Which one (of them) do you love? -- literally (You) which one (of them) her love?

Sub-context 4.1: Just talking.

• Long answer: (Eu) o iubesc pe Maria. = I love Maria. -- literally (I) her love Maria.

• Short answer: Pe Maria. = Maria.

Sub-context 4.2: Pointing at Maria in a picture...

• Long answer: (Eu) o iubesc pe ea. = I love her. -- literally (I) her love her.

• Short answer: Pe ea. = Her.

WRONG Q and A:

• (Tu) pe care (dintre ele) iubești? -- the unaccented pronoun is missing

• 4.1.long: (Eu) iubesc pe Maria. -- the unaccented pronoun is missing

• 4.2.long: (Eu) iubesc pe ea. -- the unaccented pronoun is missing

• 4.2.short: Pe o. -- the accented pronoun can't replace the unaccented pronoun

I would like to stress once again the difference between:

• Pe cine iubești? -- the unaccented pronoun has to be missing here

and

• Pe care (dintre ele) o iubești? -- the unaccented pronoun is mandatory

WRONG: Pe cine o iubești? / Pe care iubești?

Please also have a look at the following thread and the links at the end of it.

https://www.duolingo.com/comment/26129267

7 months ago

Wow. Thanks. I look forward to looking over all of that properly tomorrow. I'm too sleepy and dopey now.

My main problem was that I didn't really know what 'accented' and 'unaccented' meant in this context. I thought it mighit mean 'accentuated' or 'stressed', but I didn't want to assume that. I think I need to know more English! I wasn't familiar with those words being used for that meaning in the context of language teaching.

7 months ago

https://www.duolingo.com/IonutCatana
IonutCatana

Unaccented pronouns are used to reinforce the accented forms and are pretty much mandatory. Take a look at these sentences (mind that there are a couple more forms for each pronoun, check those out in the lesson).

Eu văd (pe mine). Eu te văd (pe tine). Eu îl văd (pe el). Eu o văd (pe ea). Eu ne văd (pe noi). Eu văd (pe voi). Eu îi văd (pe ei) Eu le văd (pe ele).

I put the accented forms in parentheses because they can be dropped from the sentence without any change in meaning. The purpose of these unaccented forms is to build redundancy into the grammar, as it's effectively expressing the same meaning twice.

Mult succes!

7 months ago

Thanks! This is so helpful.

7 months ago