1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: German
  4. >
  5. the degree


the degree

In the picture question "the degree" in the skill Weather, "das Grad" is not accepted, only "der Grad". The picture showed a digital thermometer. Grad in the sense of university degree or also extent/level of something is always male, but as a unit it can also be a neuter. Generally, the names of units are neuters, it's just rare that people talk about them. The meter became officially male some years ago, because most people know only the length Meter (m.), but not the unit name, that was formerly neutral. Vice versa, the name of the unit "Grad Celsius" was officially changed from masculine to neutral in DIN 1301-1:2010-10, even if Duden.de still states it only with (m.). The distinction was made to separate the degree/extent of something (m.) from the unit (n.). I would simply suggest to accept both.

February 23, 2018


[deactivated user]

    Thanks for these small corrections Max.Em.

    I'll try and remember to report it next time I got meet them again.


    You're welcome. I hope somebody can profit from my comments This one here is probably way too specific to be useful...

    We can't report these picture questions properly or open a discussion about them, that's why I just wrote a "free" comment here. So there's no need to remember it or search for it again. But thanks ;-).

    [deactivated user]

      You're right, I had never noticed the reporting errors for the picture questions have only... 1 option: incorrect picture. Nor that there wasn't a discussion for those either.

      50.000 xp's later... I learn a new thing on Duolingo...

      • 1398

      Max.EM - I find most all discussions useful.


      How can I find out the "official" gender of a word? Is there a website where I can look up official information?


      Yes, there is Duden, but with "official" here I meant the DIN, Deutsche IndustrieNorm, where it's defined how you have to use units if you want to comply with that norm. Unluckily their documents are not free and I just know some quotes from there. To my knowledge there is no legally binding authority for every detail and everyone. There's a council of the German orthography (Rat für deutsche Rechtschreibung) that keeps lists of words and grammar rules. Changes are send to the school ministries in form of proposals, which can accept the changes so that they are legally binding for school materials. But I didn't find information about genders there.... Also, Duden has much more information about usage of the single words, but today they just publish books. They are just the de-facto authority today, without having any competence by law.


      www.duden.de - the Duden dictionary sets the standards for the German language.


      ... Curiousity question: Is DIN a publishing standard, or what?

      Since I'm a science / tech junkie, I found your comments quite interesting - danke!


      Deutsches Institut für Normung e.V. (DIN; in English, the German Institute for Standardization) is the German national organization for standardization and is the German ISO member body.


      DIN is a private organisation that defines standards for everyone who is interested. Their norms are generally accepted in German business life, some of them are even used by law. DIN 1301 contains definitions of the SI unit system so it is the foundation of all other norms that contain measures. Other norms define standards for documents, for example paper sizes like A4 or styles of letters and document titles.

      Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.