1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Norwegian (Bokmål)
  4. >
  5. Weekly Norwegian #3: Reportin…

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Deliciae

Weekly Norwegian #3: Reporting 101

While not directly Norwegian related, following this guide will help us create an even better Norwegian course... and perhaps even save our last scraps of sanity. :)

We get thousands of reports a week, and 98% are either useless or plain wrong. However, a good report is still a great help to us, and that's why we keep encouraging and processing them.

First off, what to report where:

Report missing translations as "My answer should be accepted". If you have details or an explanation to go with, you can add these either as a freewrite report (preferable if you have the option), or in the sentence discussion if you don't have the freewrite option. Freewrite reports don't get tied to the answer you submitted, so it's good give a little context.

Report any other issue with a sentence in a freewrite report. If that option is unavailable to you, you may use the sentence discussions. The sentence discussions are a last option, because we'd much rather see them reserved for questions and answers. That way, it's easier for you to find the answers you need.

Report issues with image exercises either in the Norwegian forum or in the next sentence discussion you get to. Remember to note which exercise it concerns.

Report bugs through the bug form. We're course contributors, not programmers.

Discuss other technical issues in the Troubleshooting forum.

When it comes to the report option "This sentence is unnatural or has an error", it really is too vague to be of any help. Clearing these reports is just a time sink to us.

Reporting the audio is unneccesary. We can't change it, and chances are we already disabled the listening exercise three years ago. If the audio is missing rather than flawed, that falls in the bug category. Note that the browser version of Duo is optimised for Chrome, so changing browsers may fix technical audio issues.

Questions go in the sentence discussion if they're relevant to its content or grammar, and in the relevant sub-forum if not. We're unable to directly answer questions asked through freewrite reports; it's a one-way channel.

NB: These are our preferences, and they align with how we process reports and monitor the sentence discussions. Other contributor teams may work differently.

Before submitting a sentence as "should be accepted", make sure that your answer doesn't contain:

• a typo
  • an untranslated word
  • a duplicated word
  • a gender disagreement in Norwegian
  • a disagreement between the subject and the verb in English
  • an "a/an" error (it's a classic)
  • an unnatural word order
  • an emoji or non-standard character
  • a non-standard contraction
  • slang or -very- regional regionalisms
  • a word that hasn't seen regular use for the past 500 years

And double-check that it doesn't lack:

• a word
  • an apostrophe (all other punctuation can currently be butchered)
  • an indefinite article in English in cases where it can be omited in Norwegian

Also, if your answer is identical to the translation displayed and still graded as incorrect, this is a bug. Any translation you're shown is present in our list of accepted translations. If you want to report it, please do so through the bug form, and remember to add a screenshot.

Things we get called pedantic for, but you won't change our minds about:

• The lie/lay distinction
  • Not accepting contractions "gonna", "wanna", and "shoulda"
  • Not accepting literal translations that don't make sense at all
  • Requiring questions to be phrased as questions
  • Making you write out all numbers below 13 in Norwegian

Note that any answer we accept as correct can be shown to other users as a suggestion. If this weren't the case, we might be more lenient, but as it stands we won't lower our current standards.

Things you can stop complaining about:

• Your incorrect answers being graded as incorrect
  • The default translation not agreeing with the preference in your dialect. Dulingo is a US based company, and instructs their contributors to keep the default translation of any sentence in neutral or American English. We are of course happy to add British and other regional variants as accepted translations, so please report those if missing.
  • Sentences ending in prepositions. No, that's neither a grammar rule nor a capital offence.
  • Sentences not agreeing with your personal opinions on a subject

Note that the default English translation is the one that will be used for the forward exercise (English to Norwegian), so if we choose a slightly less natural English translation it's probably because it's closer to the Norwegian word order and word choice. Basically, we're trying to guide you to a natural Norwegian sentence. If we have to compromise on the English side to achieve a natural Norwegian translation, that's something we're willing to do because it's a Norwegian course.

Things we can't change:

• The type of exercise you're presented with. We can turn off listening exercises, but half of the time this doesn't seem to work. We can remove image exercises. Everything else is out of our hands.
  • The audio. It's sourced from another company.
  • Accepted translations for listening exercises; they'll only accept the exact sentence being read out. It doesn't matter if there are homonyms, listening exercises will show you no mercy.
  • The order and repetition of sentences within a lesson; we add a pool of exercises to each word, and an algorithm decides the ordering and type of exercise presented to you.
  • Sentences mysteriously ending up in the wrong skill, and a myriad other Duo bugs (tm). If you're fed up with the bugs, I can promise you we're ten times that.
  • The absence of bonus skills. They've been held back for three years due to a technical issue.
  • The absence of any other feature that the Spanish course has, but we haven't been blessed with. The powers that be understandably prioritise the courses with more users, and we do our best with what we've got. The upside to this lack of attention, is that we get to run our course the way we want to; there's no meddling, and we like it that way.

And last but not least, please be kind.

The amount of abuse we take for trying to bring you the best Norwegian course we can is frankly disturbing. We're unpaid volunteers, and - contrary to popular belief - we're human.

If anything's unclear, feel free to ask questions in the comments. :)

Weekly Norwegian Archive

February 25, 2018

47 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Heike333145

Thank you very much! I really like the course, its content, and the little riddles it has for me (coming from German), and I'm particularly fond of the form of moderator communication in this Norwegian forum. Keep it up! -- I'm learning from your way of dealing with matters.

I'd love to be able to provide abuse-antidote ... It's sad to see that you have to cope with this; I hope this thread will reduce the amount of unfriendly communication you receive.

Mod

Thank you, Heike!

Norwegian learners are a friendly bunch overall (the nicest learners on Duo, in fact!), but there's something about the anonymity of the internet that can make people forget their manners.

The sad truth is that the ones who need it the most probably won't be reading this thread, but at least it can serve as a guide for those who are unsure about how to best report their issues. A misguided report is a waste of time for both parties involved, after all.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/JammyDodgie

You do not need to be so rude. You are a moderator. Have some respect for others.

Mod

You know, I've already been called a SJW, a lesbian, and a vote tamperer so far today, but rude is actually one I don't get all that often. On the bright side, I haven't had a single death threat this week. Granted, it's Monday, but still.

How has your day been?

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Trofaste

Surely you've been called stupid a few times too? That one can be popular for us, either someone complimenting us on our sensible sentences or informing us that our grammar/word choice is terrible (usually in appalling whatever-language-the-report-is-talking-about).

That's another one you could add to your list of "things you can stop complaining about": silly sentences. Especially if they're just references you don't happen to get.

Oh, and reports informing us that crabs are actually crustaceans, not animals. facepalm

Mod

I'm not sure, "stupid" has a tendency to fly under the radar. I was told to go learn basic English grammar though, which I'm of course considering.

Why in the world would anyone want to learn basic English grammar, especially natives like me? It's much more fun writing "an apple" than the correct "a apple"!

Note to any non-native speakers of English: I'm being very sarcastic in this comment. The correct article to use with "apple" really is "an", because "apple" begins with a vowel sound.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Bruce-CallMeSoda

Hmmm... well, now we know that at least some people who need it do read this thread. :-)

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/FrenchCamille

This should be put in the general forum. everyone needs to see this!

Mod

Some of it is good general knowledge, but I know there are some teams that have a strong forum presence (while hardly seeking out reports in the Incubator), and others again that have a strong Incubator presence (without giving the forums too much attention), so they'll have different preferences when it comes to reports. Our way of running our course isn't necessarily the best for everyone - just for us.

There's also a difference in volume. Whatever we experience, the Spanish for English speakers contributors experience times a hundred. They have all my respect, and then some. :)

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Jersebas

There's also a difference in volume. Whatever we experience, the Spanish for English speakers contributors experience times a hundred. They have all my respect, and then some. :)

I am always amazed how many nonsense posts a Spanish sentence in the sentence-discussion gets, and every time I am so grateful for the Norwegian course hehe =) (and I wish that either I had the power to delete those myself or comments could be split in useful posts with explanations/grammar, and "clever" remarks from people getting the reference and/or answering when the exercise is a question itself. Sometimes those are great and are quite humorous but sometimes they're not (could be me =)), and most often they push the language-related comments down.

Mod

Oh yes, and the Spanish course doesn't just have more users, it has a higher percentage of people who don't want to be there (Duo for Schools).

We've requested the ability to "pin" comments in the sentence discussions, precisely because the funny ones tend to end up above the grammar explanations. Even if the good answers often get the upvotes they deserve, their placement is dependent on what may be a rude or poorly phrased question, which in turn might be downvoted.

I'm quite lenient when it comes to fun or interesting comments (we've made a course filled with humour and references, so it would make little sense to punish people for enjoying it), but still I delete more posts than I answer most days. Not only are people not particularly good at reading through previous comments, but there are issues with the forum which make them not always display. Add to that the comments that are rude, incendiary, or just pointless, and there's certainly some housekeeping to do.

Generally, it's a good idea to keep at least one funny comment, one reference comment, and one (acceptably phrased) comment of each opinion if there's a divisive issue, because then people can upvote or comment on those comments rather than adding their own parent comment. If we delete the last of its kind, as it were, people will just repost something very similar.

If only we could pin the grammar comments... Then people might actually read through the whole discussion when they go looking for the funny ones!

First of all, great post! I hope this guide will help in improving the quantity (less) and quality of the reports, and thus reduce your workload and improve your mood =)

I was wondering a bit about the reporting-mechanism behind-the-scenes. You say you guys get thousands of reports weekly.

• Is there any order/priority in them? I mean, do exercises with more reports get flagged a higher "priority"? (More reports either in an absolute sense or in reports per amount of users who did the exercise)
  • Are similar incoming reports grouped? If multiple people report the same sentence, do you only have to handle it once? (I'm assuming the emails we get when a suggestion is accepted are automated btw)?
  • Are rejected reports remembered and used for future reference? E.g. you guys rejected a certain sentence, then later somebody else report the same erroneous suggestion. Do you have to evaluate it again or does the system know you rejected it before and automatically discards it? I.e. do you get a lot of the same wrong suggestions?
  • Does the system keep a score of accepted/rejected suggestions by users? I remember reading you can't see who files a report, but even if it doesn't show the contributors the data/name, if the system would remember a user's history it could help in prioritising the reports? E.g. lets say 90% of my reports are accepted... when I report something it gets bumped higher to the list? As opposed to having a 5% acceptance rate? =)
  • Talking about the thousands of incoming reports, how many of them are actually useful? I.e. what is the approximate acceptance rate? =)

Finally, I can't believe you guys are getting loads of abuse! I totally agree with what Heike said! The Norwegian course is great content-wise and in the way you guys run this forum! I love the way in which you help people with (seemingly =)) unending patience, elaborate answers/examples and humor!! Keep it up! =)

Tusen takk!

Edit: forget my last question, I just noticed the answer is literally in the second sentence of your post... my bad oops =(

Mod

I came upon a thread that predates the current guidelines, if you want to see what reports look like to us: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/8853827

Mod

Is there any order/priority in them? I mean, do exercises with more reports get flagged a higher "priority"? (More reports either in an absolute sense or in reports per amount of users who did the exercise)

There's an overview within each skill, where sentences are listed by number of reports. There is no tree-wide overview, and there's nowhere to access only the most recent reports.

I usually either go through one skill at a time and clear reports, or search for all sentences containing a certain word and clear the reports for them (that way I can copy-paste explanations).

Are similar incoming reports grouped? If multiple people report the same sentence, do you only have to handle it once? (I'm assuming the emails we get when a suggestion is accepted are automated btw)?

Are rejected reports remembered and used for future reference? E.g. you guys rejected a certain sentence, then later somebody else report the same erroneous suggestion. Do you have to evaluate it again or does the system know you rejected it before and automatically discards it? I.e. do you get a lot of the same wrong suggestions?

Yes, identical reports are grouped, and the most reported sentence suggestion will appear on top. I'd show you screenshots, but we're no longer allowed to share screenshots from the Incubator.

When rejecting a report, we have the option of defining a "report message". It's basically an option to add a Twitter-length message that would be shown to the next user entering that response, explaining where they went wrong. The only issue? These are actually not shown to users anymore. However, defining a report message filters any future reports (they still inflate the numbers, but we can't see them when loading the sentence), so I still do it for every incorrect report... with a small hope that Duo will eventually add them back rather than render all that work near-useless.

When I enter the Basics skill, I can load a sentence that shows 50 reports in the overview, and have it turn up empty, because those were 50 incorrect reports which we had already defined messages for.

For the pre-defined reports (audio is incorrect, the sentence is unnatural or has an error, I forget what they're all called...) we can't define a response or filter them. They keep coming, and we keep clearing them, but they're seldom of any use.

When adding a reported translation, we have the -option- of sending an e-mail. The text is automated, but we do have to click a button. Personally, I don't always do this, for a couple of reasons: It may be a correct, but not entirely natural answer that I don't want to encourage the usage of. This often happens when an English speaker sticks to the most English way of phrasing a sentence, and in doing so produces a sentence that isn't ungrammatical in Norwegian, but that no Norwegian would actually say. Or, it may be a correct but exceedingly rare or "pushing the boundaries" sort of report (usually in English), and I don't want to encourage future reports of the same kind. There are people who just want to see what they can get away with when it comes to radical rephrasing, slang, very rare cognates, or words Shakespeare was the last to put on paper.

If I want to add a report message to a sentence I'm actually accepting, to explain that it's acceptable, but another word would be a better choice, for instance, that also deprives me of the option of sending a mail to the person who suggested it.

I've also heard rumours that when sending an "acceptance e-mail" to a group of reports, only one reporter (the first or last?) will receive it, but I don't know whether that's true.

Does the system keep a score of accepted/rejected suggestions by users? I remember reading you can't see who files a report, but even if it doesn't show the contributors the data/name, if the system would remember a user's history it could help in prioritising the reports? E.g. lets say 90% of my reports are accepted... when I report something it gets bumped higher to the list? As opposed to having a 5% acceptance rate? =)

No, but we've requested that exact functionality more than once. A high amount of the useful reports does come from a small number of users. Even if we don't see names, I can recognise writing styles familiar from the forum and sentence discussions in the freewrite reports.

Talking about the thousands of incoming reports, how many of them are actually useful? I.e. what is the approximate acceptance rate? =)

It depends on where in the tree we are. In the first 10 skills, it's easily less than 0.1%. I habitually clear reports in the hundreds there without making a single change. In the last 10 skills, it may be as high as 20% or 30% - at least if we only count the ones that aren't filtered (and thus difficult to count) + discard the unspecified reports. Of course we've kept adding new sentence throughout the lifespan of the course, so a report for a brand new sentence is also more likely to be valid. We're getting pretty good at adding alternative translations to new sentences, if I may say so myself, but there's always one we haven't thought of.

There's also the issue of Duolingo not accepting accepted translations, in which case we get "green" reports - reports that are already accepted on our end. It's a long-standing bug, and very frustrating both for us and for you.

Finally, I can't believe you guys are getting loads of abuse! I totally agree with what Heike said! The Norwegian course is great content-wise and in the way you guys run this forum! I love the way in which you help people with (seemingly =)) unending patience, elaborate answers/examples and humor!! Keep it up! =)

Tusen takk!

Thank you!

We do try to be patient and nurture a good forum culture, though I'll admit to allowing my self the odd sarcastic comment.

This is what I mean with elaborate/detailed answers! =) Thanks a lot, much appreciated! Some new questions/remarks though =p

There's an overview within each skill, where sentences are listed by number of reports. There is no tree-wide overview, and there's nowhere to access only the most recent reports.

With the amount of skills in the Norwegian tree I would assume a tree-wide overview with custom sorting (either on number of report or on date) would be an improvement!

I'd show you screenshots, but we're no longer allowed to share screenshots from the Incubator.

That's too bad, I would have loved to see some to get a better idea how it works behind the scenes =)

When rejecting a report, we have the option of defining a "report message". It's basically an option to add a Twitter-length message that would be shown to the next user entering that response, explaining where they went wrong. The only issue? These are actually not shown to users anymore.

I hadn't thought of that option, but it sounds like a great idea to me! Giving an instant explanation why a suggestion is not valid is much better than wondering about it until eternity and potentially keeping in the assumption something is right. Too bad Duo has disabled this option!!

When I enter the Basics skill, I can load a sentence that shows 50 reports in the overview, and have it turn up empty, because those were 50 incorrect reports which we had already defined messages for.

Incorrect counts... annoying! Sounds like the sentence-discussion: questions without answers suddenly having some already, or questions/remarks having no question in the first place (probably because the moderating team deleted some nonsense post, but the counter isn't reset?!?)

For the pre-defined reports (audio, the sentence is unnatural or has an error, I forget what they're all called...) we can't define a response or filter them. They keep coming, and we keep clearing them, but they're seldom of any use.

I must admit I reported some audio-related-reports lately where there was no sound for an audio-exercise. Based on your explanation above I guess I'd better stop with sending them as it's more a bug-issue and you have no control over audio-issues =)

Does it matter what kind of answer I give? E.g. I often enter "no sound" or "nothing" when asked what I hear. Does this matter for any kind of statistics on your end? For example does the system keep track of frequent errors so extra explanation on a certain topic can be given?

When adding a reported translation, we have the -option- of sending an e-mail. The text is automated, but we do have to click a button. Personally, I don't always do this, for a couple of reasons: It may be a correct, but not entirely natural answer that I don't want to encourage the usage of.

I always feel satisfied when receiving such an email (some kind of confirmation I reported something useful, and certainty about a certain question/issue), but I understand your reasons for not always sending one and must admit they're quite valid =)

We're getting pretty good at adding alternative translations to new sentences, if I may say so myself, but there's always one we haven't thought of.

Do you have to enter all alternatives yourself or can the system generate ones as well? Say there are two words in a sentence with have two valid alternatives, do you have to enter all 9 combinations? This would get really annoying if you can also have different word orders for all those sentences as well I guess =) Or you add an alternative for a word/sentence in one skill but the word occurs in other skills/lessons as well? I guess it's quite a complicated issue to get (all) possible answers.

I also liked the list of new sentences you posted in last weeks "newsletters" and being able to contribute a bit that way! So if those posts are worth the trouble on your part (composing them/checking the answers) please keep them coming! =)

Mod

With the amount of skills in the Norwegian tree I would assume a tree-wide overview with custom sorting (either on number of report or on date) would be an improvement!

I'm pretty used to working with what we have, but I would have liked a feed of new reports (bar the unspecified and filtered ones) just as a way of catching important issues. In a week, we often edit several hundred sentences, and even if we're careful chances are we may introduce an error in the accepted translations while adding new ones. We work with compact forms (I'll explain further down), which makes our life easier, but also makes not noticing errors easier.

That's too bad, I would have loved to see some to get a better idea how it works behind the scenes =)

I'm sure a Google search or some forum diving would yield results, I just don't want to explicitly go against the guidelines by posting any new ones.

I hadn't thought of that option, but it sounds like a great idea to me! Giving an instant explanation why a suggestion is not valid is much better than wondering about it until eternity and potentially keeping in the assumption something is right. Too bad Duo has disabled this option!!

They may still return in the browser version of Duo. We'll see.

Incorrect counts... annoying! Sounds like the sentence-discussion: questions without answers suddenly having some already, or questions/remarks having no question in the first place (probably because the moderating team deleted some nonsense post, but the counter isn't reset?!?)

Yes, but apparently it would take a lot of programming to fix it, so we'll manage. The forum count being off may have to do with deleted comments too for all I know, but I know the profanity filter is to blame for some of it. It even filters some of the words we teach in the course(!), like "d u m b" and "h e l l".

Does it matter what kind of answer I give? E.g. I often enter "no sound" or "nothing" when asked what I hear. Does this matter for any kind of statistics on your end? For example does the system keep track of frequent errors so extra explanation on a certain topic can be given?

In general, yes, there's a feature that shows the most frequent incorrect answers, and I have seen variations of "asdf" featuring pretty prominently. However, this feature hasn't worked for the Norwegian course for some time. Perhaps it didn't like us.

Do you have to enter all alternatives yourself or can the system generate ones as well? Say there are two words in a sentence with have two valid alternatives, do you have to enter all 9 combinations? This would get really annoying if you can also have different word orders for all those sentences as well I guess =) Or you add an alternative for a word/sentence in one skill but the word occurs in other skills/lessons as well? I guess it's quite a complicated issue to get (all) possible answers.

There are a few automatically accepted contractions and synonyms, but frankly they're a pain and we'd rather be without them. They're the reason for "He has a dog" being contracted to "He's a dog", for "1" being substituted for "one" even when "one" isn't a number, and for "story", "storey" and "floor" being treated as synonyms even when they're not. We have no way of overriding these, and they frequently make us look like idiots.

Aside from those, we have to enter all possible translations on a per sentence basis, but we can use compact forms. I'll show you an example from our tree:

Source sentence: Mamma vil forlate pappa.
Accepted translations: [My /][mom/mother/mommy/mum/mam/mummy/mama/momma] [wants to/wishes to/desires to/would like to/will/is going to] [leave/abandon][/ my] [dad/father/daddy/papa/pa/pop].
Total accepted translations: 2308

Reverse sentence: Mom wants to leave dad.
Accepted translations: [Mamma/Mor/Min mamma/Min mor/Mi mor/Mammaen min/Moren min/Mora mi] [vil/ønsker å/har lyst til å] [forlate/gå fra/dra fra] [far/pappa/min far/min pappa/faren min/pappaen min].
Total accepted translations: 433

That's a pretty short sentence, so you can see how it can get complicated. It's easy to get lost in one's own compact forms and add a preposition that doesn't work equally as well with all the verb alternatives, for instance.

We're also capped at 3000 possible accepted translations in either direction, which means we won't always be able to add all the valid translations we would like to.

I also liked the list of new sentences you posted in last weeks "newsletters" and being able to contribute a bit that way! So if those posts are worth the trouble on your part (composing them/checking the answers) please keep them coming! =)

I'm planning on continuing them, but I think I'll keep them separate from the "themed" newsletters in the future. I feel the blocks of translations in the comments may discourage others from commenting and engaging in the subject matter.

Besides, this week's new sentences are all in limbo and returning 404s at the moment, so I'll have to let them find themselves first. The main site may have an impressive bug count, but I think the Incubator's still in the lead...

I just don't want to explicitly go against the guidelines by posting any new ones.

No worries, I wouldn't ask for them if it's against the current policy. You never know what unknown people (like me ;)) do with them so if Duo is against it so be it =) I've seem some in the past, and they can shed some interesting insights into the working of Duo.

Yes, but apparently it would take a lot of programming to fix it, so we'll manage. The forum count being off may have to do with deleted comments too for all I know, but I know the profanity filter is to blame for some of it. It even filters some of the words we teach in the course(!), like "d u m b" and "h e l l".

Having a programming background myself I can't understand for the world of it how Duo manages to mess up the counts in the forum so bad. I don't think I've ever seen any forum anywhere lacking this basic functionality :(

Having a profanity filter is useful I guess, but filtering words like d u m b is just... wel... you know =)

That's a pretty short sentence, so you can see how it can get complicated. It's easy to get lost in one's own compact forms and add a preposition that doesn't work equally as well with all the verb alternatives for instance.

Those compact forms are interesting, but I can see how they can become complicated esp. for longer sentences! Maybe a nice visualisation for the one you're editing? =)

I'm planning on continuing them, but I think for the future I'll keep them separate from the "themed" newsletters. I feel the blocks of translations in the comments may discourage others from commenting and engaging in the subject matter.

Looking forward to them! And I guess you've got a point there. Several posts with large blocks (and large images *ahem*) tends to push comments a long way down. Also, if you prefer reactions in a certain format (e.g. the compact form you mentioned) please let us know!

The main site may have an impressive bug count, but I think the Incubator's still in the lead...

WHA... Lucky you =)

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/jaye16

Thank you. All courses have needed this for some time.

Mod

Feel free to borrow as needed, Jaye.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Caroline114934

Abuse?? Unbelievable! Since I found Duolingo, my Norwegian has come on in leaps and bounds and though I've still so much to do, last time in Lofoten I could manage out and about unaided (well, unless you count the occasional bout of miming as "aiding") and around the house in daily living I can now converse with my friend in Norwegian. (Our intense gossiping still has to be in English though!). And it's cost me .....nothing. Thanks to you guys and your incredible work (well, and Duolingo obviously). You guys are flat-out my heroes. Jeg takker dere. Dere er hele fantastisk. :)

Mod

Very happy to hear that, Caroline! Lofoten is such a beautiful area, you're making me miss living up north. :)

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/bergenhopps

Informational post, Deliciae!

Also, I just wanna thank you and your team once again for all the hard work you do for this course. I'm so glad to see passionate contributors building it, and you have contributed so much in promoting the Norwegian language. :)

Mod

Thank you! :)

Oh yes, thanks to us, there are millions of people who believe the Norwegian PM to be a chicken, and who know the word "livsløgn" and its cultural significance, but aren't quite sure what the Norwegian word for "pizza" is. This will be our legacy.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/stoopher

A thousand thanks for all your hard work. Sorry to hear that you are actually receiving abuse! In my opinion, the Norwegian course is very enjoyable, and the discussion forum is often very informative and/or fun. I only signed up for norsk because I wanted to see how similar Scandinavian languages were to German, and now I'm hooked!

(Good for you for maintaining the lie/lay distinction. But between us pedants: "as a suggestions" has an unnecessary 's'.)

Mod

Thank you! Correcting other people's typos unfortunately doesn't make me immune. :)

The same transitive/intransitive distinction is made in Norwegian, so it was never really up for debate. If you don't get it right in English, you won't get it right in Norwegian.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/ETHNN

I really just wanna thank the Norwegian team for all the effort you guys puts into this course! It's really shocking and sad to hear that despite everything you guys do out of your own free will for this course and the 2.65 million Norwegian learners on here that you still receive abusive comments!

Mod

Thank you, Ethan! Much of it is born of ignorance, I think, but of course it can still sting.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/FLchick

I used the freewrite option in the Spanish course years ago (proposing translations as answers) and am currently receiving notifications now that my answers have been accepted. I have never seen a freewrite option in the Norwegian or Swedish courses. So sorry to read about the abuse and name calling.

Mod

I believe it's only available on Android now, at least that's the case for me. It's a shame, as it's one of the more useful report options.

Contributors cannot send notification mails about freewrite reports, only the "my answer should be accepted" reports, but of course it would seem like that if you submitted both at the time.

Thank you for caring. :)

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Moongrovenly

Thank you so much, Linn. I have adjusted my understanding of when and how to report or comment accordingly. I cannot thank you and the others enough for your dedication.

Mod

Bare hyggelig, Eric! Reporting on Duo isn't quite rocket science, but it's certainly up there.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/DebbieHaug1

I've just found this thread and it's going to take me forever to digest it all, so if I break these rules, please forgive me. I do want to be compliant. (I think I'm going to need to read this thread multiple times!)

What is "free write"?

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Regney
Mod

If you complete a translation and it's graded as incorrect, you have the option to "Report" it to the course contributors as a suggested translation. Some versions of Duolingo/Report include an option called "Freewrite." It allows users to write a comment (rather than simply ticking a box). However, the option has been discontinued on most versions. :0)

Thank you for explaining.

What exactly is the incubator?

What is meant by "upvote" and "downvote"?

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Regney
Mod

The Incubator is the second layer of Duolingo, where course contributors add sentences/translations, evaluate suggestions, reports and so on. Technical development happens on a level that's deeper than the Incubator. (Course moderators/contributors don't have access to anything beyond the Incubator, so we can't, for example, change the way the TTS pronounces something; we have only the option of disabling the associated 'Type-what-you-hear' exercise.)

Re: upvotes/downvotes:
If you look just below your own comments in Sentence Discussions, you have the option to Edit or Delete your post. Right below anyone else's comments, you'll see a number (counter), followed by an up arrow and a down arrow. If you like/agree with the comment, you can click the up arrow, which adds a vote to the counter; clicking the down arrow subtracts one from the vote count. By default (in most versions), comments with fewer votes end up lower in the discussion.

If you really like the comment, next to Reply, you have the option to give the person a Lingot.

And here I thought giving a lingot was the only way! Thank you.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/MattBush2

Tusen takk for all of the hard work you do as a volunteer. I cannot count the number of times I've reported something as wrong, only to seconds later realize I was an idiot and had read the sentence incorrectly. :) Kudos!

Mod

Bare hyggelig!

Don't worry about honest mistakes. We don't want people to be wary of reporting, just to avoid reporting things they know are incorrect, or that we can't do anything about. :)

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Heike333145

I've reported something as wrong, only to seconds later realize I was an idiot and had read the sentence incorrectly

This has happened to me, too (not in Norwegian). You could have heard me blush ;-)

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Bruce-CallMeSoda

Is there some particular place where we should report issues with a unit's "Tips and Notes"? Things like suggestions for improvement, items that seem to be missing, and (dare I say it?) actual errors? (Yes, I have found things that, if you get picky, are technically wrong). I'd love to offer some "Tips and Notes"suggestions. Just not sure where to do it...

Mod

You can report them in this thread: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/32196823

Reporting Tips & Notes issues in a sentence discussion of that skill is also fine, as long as you make sure to give some context so that we don't think it's somehow related to that particular sentence rather than the notes. I can't guarantee that I'll see it as quickly though.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/SansEspoir83

Ooh I didn't know you couldn't change the audio. That is silly, since the automated one speaks so unnatural and weird many times, and makes certain robot errors that will give the wrong result, taking away health on android. (Specifically thinking of "barnet" which the robot pronounces like "barna" half the time).

If they ever let you change the audio, I'll volunteer to help out.

Mod

Thank you for offering. I'll keep that in mind. :)

Learn Norwegian (Bokmål) in just 5 minutes a day. For free.