https://www.duolingo.com/profile/daKanga

ajouter : to add - present tense ~er

To return: French - hop by hop : Petits bonds par petits bonds or Verbs ~er group

NOTE: most of the french words in this stream - will give you an audio file - so you can "hear" how to pronounce them, and hopefully understand them when you hear them.

Once again, click on the french word, and you will hear how it sounds. Press the back arrow key on your browser to return to this page.

<h1>ajouter : to add</h1>
  • j'ajoute : I add (note the elision, where the « e » of « je » has been replaced by « ' » , and joined to the verb.)
  • tu ajoutes : You add. (note the final « s » is silent)
  • elle ajoute : She adds.
  • il ajoute : He adds.
  • nous ajoutons : We add. (note, the « s » in nous makes a z sound, as the following word begins with a vowel, AND the final « s » is once again silent)
  • vous ajoutez : You add. (note, the « s » in vous makes a z sound, as the following word begins with a vowel, AND the « ez » at the end of ajoutez is pronounced like ay, as in '' hay ", in english )
  • ils ajoutent : He adds. (note, the « s » in ils makes a z sound, as the following word begins with a vowel, AND « ent » at the end is silent)
  • elles ajoutent : She adds. (note, the « s » in ils makes a z sound, as the following word begins with a vowel, « ent » at the end is silent)

* NOTE: this is a regular ~er verb

• NOTE: above the elision for j'ajoute

Some sites that talk about elision, and might be good to read are:
- languageguide
- french.about
- wikipedia

• NOTE: there is also an example of liason here - in regard to if there is an s at the end of a word, and the next word begins with a vowel, the s is said - but makes a z type sound. (thanks to lyoug pointing this out !)

• NOTE: Base verbale* is what the " root " or " reference word " of the verb is called. In this case being ajouter . It is good to also learn the base verbale as you can use them to do things like expressing the past, and also for looking up information on a verb.
    Sub-note - previously base verbale was referred to as infinitive, so you see it described as the infinitive of the verb in lots of places.

*NOTE: « » les guillemets [m] : these are the French quotation marks. Also note - the french always leave a space between symbols like « »and the words they surround ;)
ie. ( for example ) : english quotation marks are " and " - French quotation marks are «. . . »
Other examples of french pronunciation marks can be found here at www.audioFrench.com

April 19, 2014

5 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Lyoug

May I add (hehe) that the liaison after nous, vous, ils et elles is mandatory here:

nous-z-ajoutons
vous-z-ajoutez
ils-z-ajoutent
elles-z-ajoutent

Not pronouncing the z sound would be perceived as a mistake by any native speaker regardless of level of formality. (But you did pronounce it in your – I guess? – recordings, so, well done :) )

You might also want to include the "on" pronoun (impersonal 3rd person singular, but widely used in informal speech to replace "nous"), which also requires a liaison : on-n-ajoute.

Edit: I'm realizing you might already have written about that somewhere else in your ever vaster learning loom. If so, sorry about that :)

September 22, 2014

Yes - it is/was in the sound recording. However something has happened to corrupt the sound files. In many cases I have copies of the sound recordings that are not corrupted - but I have to get my head around how to transfer them up to the internet, and then re-route the link to these 'un-corrupted audio files. Or else find other un-corrupted audio files that say these words already up on the internet. Or find some other solution. Or conquer how to make my own recordings - and how to post them up on the internet. (I often bump into native french speakers - and they may help me out :, or somehow to ask people through the internet .... or something)
When I first started making links to this site - the audio was fine. I have emailed the people who have put the site up to notify them, but had no response. I will though also sometime do that again.
The site is http://www.audiofrench.com/ . And I have made mention to them several times in various posts - as well as my 'Tribute page.

September 22, 2014

AND - it is ALWAYS good to mention tips - like this - wherever. It is ok to repeat things, as someone may just read this page.
And I would also point out that the :
Spelling is:
nous ajoutons : We add. (note, the s in nous makes a z sound, as the following word begins with a vowel, AND the final 's' is once again silent)

vous ajoutez : You add.(note, the s in vous makes a z sound, as the following word begins with a vowel, AND the ez at the end of ajoutez is pronounced like ay)

ils ajoutent : He adds. (note, the s in ils makes a z sound, as the following word begins with a vowel, "ent" is silent)

elles ajoutent : She adds. (note, the s in elles makes a z sound, as the following word begins with a vowel, "ent" is silent)
Actually - now you have pointed that out - I will change the header post to say this ! I think it is a good idea !

September 22, 2014

And here is a lingot for pointing out something that might help people :)

September 22, 2014

And also - never be shy to point things out - to make the world a better place. So PLEASE comment on any of my posts. AND ALSO add information to them - as you have done. Also different people explain things in different ways - and different explanations are more helpful to some people than others. It is good to hear things said in different ways - so PLEASE - add things, explain things in different ways. It makes the world a better place!
Do though note - that the header posts in all my "Learning Loom" I may edit without reference - to make their explanations clearer in my judgement. However I usually sub-note anything I edit in the attached threads, in ways similar to how you have. Although sometimes I will correct my spelling and grammar or formatting, while trying to not lose the intention of my original post. As discussion is good and should be encouraged. I try to cross reference and refer on to other sources when I can - though my first intention is to explain. So for either reasons of my judgement to achieve this, (or lack of time), some things may not be acknowledged in the post. I also try to acknowledge things in my "tribute" page, that may not have been acknowledged in actual posts. However I am very human and I constantly make mistakes. So please excuse me when I do ;)
I make mistakes - and I LOVE it when people point things out to me - widen and deepen my knowledge - and hopefully others as well. And that is why also I am putting these posts here - because I can have a conversation - and I learn things !
And after all in my experience - « duolingo is about helping communications between people - even when we speak different languages ! »

September 22, 2014
Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.