Give the correct form of the adjective indicated in parentheses

• Une musique spiritualité (spirituel)

• Ces femmes sont gentil (gentil)

• Bette et Marc sont nerveux (nerveux)

• Ce sont des joeurs (players) (défensif)/

• Monique est (heureux)

• Ce sont des femmes
    (amoureux)

• Les chiens (dogs) sont nerveuses (nerveux)

• Ma mère est (sportif)

• Robert et moi nous sommes patient (patient)

• Paul est fatigué (fatigué)

March 28, 2018

3 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/LICA98

do your own homework bro

March 28, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/Deiego1989

I am only level 6 in French sorry pal.

March 28, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/Maudinette95

Well,

Une musique spirituelle. (it ends with a -l- so we make it double and add an -e- to create the feminine singular)

Ces femmes sont gentilles. (same as previously but we add a -s because there are several women)

Bette et Marc sont nerveux. (I don't know if "Bette" is a boy or a girl but it doesn't matter here because Marc is a boy so it would be "masculine" plural (if we can say that :). In French, if there is a big amount of girls but only one boy, it is going to be masculine plural. That's a convention >( (I HATE conventions). "Nerveux" (nervous) has already an -x at the end in the singular form so we had nothing.

Ce sont des joueurs défensifs. ("Joueurs" (players) is in the masculine plural, so there are several players so we add a -s at the end of the adjective "défensif" (denfensive).)

Monique est heureuse. (Monique is a woman, she is alone so it is feminine singular. The -x become a -s- and we add an -e-. I don't know exactly why. But when there is an adjective ending in -x and we want to put it in the feminine, we just drop the -x and put a -s- and an -e- (for feminine singular) or we put a -s-, an -e- and then a -s again (for feminine plural).)

Ce sont des femmes amoureuses. (As seen previously, it is feminine plural so we drop the -x and put a -s-, an -e- and a -s instead.)

Les chiens sont nerveux. ("Chien" (dog) is masculine, here it is "Chiens" (dogs) because it is plural ; so the adjective is going to be as the noun: masculine plural. "Nerveux" already has a -x at the end, so as previously seen, we had nothing.)

Ma mère est sportive. ("Mère" (mother) is feminine and here it is singular because it is "Ma" (my) (Normally, we have only one "biological" mother). So we drop the -f- at the end and put a -v- and an -e- instead. We do that to all adjectives ending in -f. (We've seen "défensif" sooner. If you want to put it to the feminine, you drop the -f- and put a -v- and an -e-. It gives "défensive" (feminine singular) and you add a -s at the end of this to make the feminine plural "défensives".

Robert et moi, nous sommes patients. (Robert is a boy. You are several people (2 here). So, it will be at the masculine plural, you juste add a -s.

If you would like to create the feminine plural, you add an -e between the -t- and the -s (For example, "Marie et moi" (Mary and me) (and if you were/are a girl), it would be: Marie et moi (feminine plural), nous sommes patientes. (I wish I was clear...).)

Paul est fatigué. (Paul is a boy. He is lonely. So it is the masculine singular, don't change it. If Paul was a girl (actually, if he was, his name would change into Paule), you had an -e-, it would give "fatiguée". Add a -s if you want to create the plural.)

To recap:

The adjectives in parenthesis in your exercise were all at the masculine singular. Here is the basic rule: To create the feminine, add an -e- at the end of those. To create the plural, add a -s at the end. Be careful, we can combine it (as seen for the feminine plural that makes adjectives end with -es)

Then, we've got some exceptions (I don't know them all. As a french girl, I didn't need to learn it in school):

For some adjectives (and some nouns) that end with -l-, -n- (and some others): To create the feminine, we double the consonant. (i.e. "gentil" (nice) (masculine singular) becomes "gentille" (feminine singular)) (same for nouns such as "chien" (dog) (masculine singular). It becomes "chienne" (female dog) (feminine singular) (be careful, it is also an insult, it means ❤❤❤❤❤.) To create the plural, we add a s, as in the basic rule. We can combine it. (i.e. "chienne" --> "chiennes" (female dogs) (feminine plural))

For some adjectives (and some nouns) that end with -x (and some others): To create the feminine, we drop the -x, and instead, we put a -s- and an -e-. (i.e. "heureux" (happy) becomes "heureuse"). If you want to make the feminine plural, you add a -s at "heureuse". It becomes "heureuses". To create, the plural, you don't change anything. ("heureux" (masculine singular) stays "heureux" (masculine plural).)

For some adjectives (and some nouns) that end with -f- (I don't know if there are other endings): To create the plural, you add a -s. To create the feminine, you drop the -f- and put a -v- and an -e- (i.e. "défensif" (masculine) --> "défensive" (feminine)) You add a -s to create the feminine plural.

I wish it was useful, I could have made some mistakes, I am sorry about that. (Tell me, so I could make progress myself :)) I wish it wasn't too late. Tell me if you didn't understood well or if you have any question. I am not a professional, so I could be wrong (even in my own language, I know, it's a shame :( ) French isn't easy (even for us ;)) but if you really enjoy it, you will progress quickly.

Best regards, (I didn't know how to end it, sorry.)

March 28, 2018
Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.