"Nous voyons le maillot jaune."

Translation:We see the yellow jersey.

March 28, 2018

This discussion is locked.


Is this how the Tour de France jerseys are described?


Yes. There’s also the maillot blanc, the maillot vert and the maillot a pois rouge


I don't know if the contributors (sitesurf, etc) care but this question shows up as a new lesson for Household not Clothing.


2018/04/17 I agree that is odd, but it really should be in Sports (because of its association with the Tour de France).


Maillot is also a word for bathing suit


Isn’t it typically called a “maillot de bain”?


Oui, mais encore un maillot


No, you need to specify "maillot de bain" as there are many others "maillot de corps" is an undershirt... https://dictionary.reverso.net/french-english/Maillot


"We see the yellow undershirt" should also be accepted, as "undershirt" is even presented in the tooltip.


'We are seeing the yellow Jersey' is not accepted somehow.


In English, the common noun 'jersey' does not have a capital letter. I put the alternative word 'jumper' and this was not accepted.


"seeing" is usually only continuous for an ongoing event, such as visiting a friend. "I'm seeing Alain this afternoon." "We're seeing a movie tonight." It also usually indicates the near future, even though it's expressed as the present tense.

"We see the yellow jersey" (one-off event in the present). "It is sitting in the basket" (continuous present).


as well, the dropdown menus offers "the coffee" as one meaning of 'le'


Is the audio strange just for me?


OK but a "jersey" is what, in this context? The English names for articles of clothing seem to vary a lot, regionally. I would usually understand "jersey" to refer to the same thing i would call a "jumper", but i'm not sure if that's what's meant here? It wasn't accepted.


No, it is not the woolen garment. It is the shirt worn by an athletic team. This is a reference to the Tour de France cyclist racing color. https://dictionary.reverso.net/french-english/Maillot

The woolen “jersey” or “jumper” is called “le pull-over”. It is funny in the US, I had only heard of a jumper as what the British call a pinafore dress, or some call a coverall. Though a coverall is not always a dress. I had never even heard of the woollen sweater being called a jersey or a jumper. We call it a pullover or a sweater.


Ah, not at all what i was picturing! Merci beaucoup.

Incidentally, for the knitted top, "sweater" and "pullover" are used around here but are less common, whereas "jumper" is the word i'm most accustomed to hearing and using. I actually did know that "jumper" means "pinafore dress" in the states - it was one of the words that got changed for the American edit of the Harry Potter books, iirc.


Another one of those false friends that just won't keep sticking in my brain. How the french loanword "maillot" suddenly became to mean "tights" in dutch is beyond me.


Vive La Tour! Je l'adore! :-)

Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.