"Je mets les serviettes dans l'armoire."

Translation:I am putting the napkins in the closet.

March 31, 2018

This discussion is locked.


closet is used in American English. Wardrobe should be accepted.


So should cupboard according to the Collins Robert dictionary


Agree with Roger: its towels and wardrobe! - and this should be an accepted response


I also put "towels" and "wardrobe" but my Webster's Dictionary says a wardrobe is "1 a: a room or closet where clothes are kept." So a wardrobe is not where you would put towels or napkins.


In Australia we would put the towels in the cupboard. A wardrobe is for clothes and we don't usually use "closet". If we are talking about napkins we could also use serviettes; if we are talking about towels we could use bath towels or hand towels


I think that it should be towels and cupboard. In both my French dictionaries, the first translation of armoire is cupboard


l'armoire is the wardrobe


What about serviettes meaning towels?


I wrote "I put the napkins in the wardrobe". Given that "serviettes" have been translated as "napkins" I didn't use towels as I normally would in this case.
What I am not happy about is that "wardrobe" was not accepted as the usual translation for "armoire". Why suddenly does armoire mean "closet" and NOT "wardrobe"?


still confused. so now armoire is also closet. I thought I had it figured out that placard was closet, I will never figure this out


not allowed 'wardrobe' but allowed 'armoire' ??


Duolingo is obviously an American organisation, therefore we just have to put up with "American" english, and this just sometimes compromises our understanding of french. But, in the grand scheme of things - and to use an American expression - it's really not a big deal!


towels and cupboard, where else would one put them?


Closet is American: cupboard should have been accepted.


Is "une armoire" exclusively a piece of furniture? A closet built as a separate 'room' wouldn't be "une armoire", right?


I have always thought that an armoire and a wardrobe are synonyms for a piece of furniture. A closet is built into the framing of the room/hall. Perhaps in France, armoire is used for both a piece of furniture and a framed in enclosure/closet. It seems that different countries have different interpretations of these terms. :)


what about 'sideboard" - it's where we store our dinnerware including serviettes etc


Funny how they accept the translation of 'armoire' as wardrobe in some exercises and then define 'armoire' as armoire in English!! I'm 68 and lived in England all my life and never heard a wardrobe called an armoire in England!!



Agreed, the simple 'cupboard' should be perfectly acceptable in this exercise as short for 'linen cupboard'. I also found this irritating - and I live in France! The only reasonable, non-pretentious use of 'armoire' in the UK (or the US) should be by antique dealers who import such items from France (usually at immense profit).


i give up:placard, armoire, impossible!
Just a note: I put and I am putting are both considered present tense in english.


There seems to be a lot of reuse of words in French to mean different things which makes it tricky, more so than in English i would say. As well as naming something using a phrase from existing words rather than creating a new word for it.


" I put the napkins in the wardrobe" should be accepted. Reported 8/11/18


I put "I am putting the towels in the cupboard" but this was marked wrong. Towels is a translation of serviettes, is it not, and cupboard is the U.K. English version of "armoire, closet or cabinet" which are Duo's translations.


Why not 'towels in the cupboard'?


That's annoying, the word 'closet' is not used in UK English. We only use'cupboard'


I was always taught (UK) that armoire is wardrobe. Or cupboard. We don't use the word closet here.


Question for Duolingo, how would you translate 'I am putting the towels and the serviettes in the cupboard'?

Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.