"J'ai un stylo plume."

Translation:I have a fountain pen.

March 31, 2018

This discussion is locked.


I found this in animals, I assume you did too?


Feathers (plumes) come from birds which are animals.


However, fountains do NOT come from animals. And "I have a feather pen", which would be a quill as used ages ago, was incorrect.


How would you say: I have a quill pen?


"J'ai une plume d'oie."

  • 1888

but there is nothing about "pen"?


"plume d'oie" doesn't contain "stylo", but it means "quill pen". The French just express the idea slightly differently from English.

  • 1888

So " J'ai une plume d'oie" can mean BOTH "I have a goose feather" and "I have a quill pen"?


What if your quill is made from a peacock feather?


I thought it was, "La plume de ma tante," you know, from the song.

Hmm.. I have been waiting 1336 days for this phrase to come up in Duolingo... but when it does, it's different!



To clarify: un stylo is the general word for a writing-instrument which uses ink, ie 'a pen'. Because they are oldest types and in some ways resemble a quill pen, a pen you dip in an ink-pot and a fountain pen = 'un stylo plume'. A ball-point pen = 'un stylo-bille'. A felt/fibre-tip pen = 'un stylo-feutre'.


"Plume" can be used as an adjective?


See Sitesurf's comment on "nouns of nouns" ('noun' de 'noun') in her answer to Suessolok at:



What does fountain pen mean?


They were the primary sort of pen before ballpoints came out, where there would be a nib, similar in a lot of ways to even older quill pens, attached to a cartridge which contained liquid ink, the ink would be drawn into the nib and could be written or drawn with. They are still used today and I have at least one. They are especially used for calligraphy, but need care as they tend to blot a lot more (hence the 'blotting pad' you may have encountered in older literature). It is a successor to the dipping pens where you had to dip the pen into ink continually, instead the pens had a 'fountain' of ink contained within the pen.


It's a pen with a longer and smoother tip , usually used for writing formally or writing novels.

  • 1776

You're making it sound all so exotic! Fountain pens are my go-to for every-day writing, no special occasion required. I like them because it is something permanent, with only the ink that needs replacing, and that ink comes in a fantastic array of colours.
And although they can get pricey, an inexpensive entry-level Cross will run you about $15.-- at Staples, or a better-quality one will go for just under $50.-- (in most cases, you get what you pay for).

Worth checking out.


I got the audio. Last word was garbled bad.

  • 1776

"La Plume" actually refers to the nib of the pen. So it stands to reason that "un stylo plume" would refer to a fountain pen which has nibs in place of ball points.
What would an accepted translation be for porte-plume: "Straight pen" or "dip pen"?


linguee gives quill pen as one translation for stylo plume


A feathered pen, or quill, is dipped into ink. A fountain pen gets its ink from an internal reservoir. They are two totally different things.


In my language (finnish) we'll say feather pen and mean the ones you'd have to dip in ink and not this type of pen.


Every time I hear the audio, I don't hear the last word, it's too quiet


I heard un stylo au plume

Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.