Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

"Pantofii ăștia sunt ai ei, nu ai mei."

Translation:These shoes are hers, not mine.

5 months ago

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Renardo11
Renardo11

The notes of this section are not clear to me. They say, for instance: “The form of the proximity and distance pronominal adjective that is placed before the noun is with the final -a: acest munte…” Now “acest munte” does not seem to have a final -a but “Pantofii ăștia” (this example) does. In sum I do not understand how the forms placed before and after the noun are built.

5 months ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ThomasJ852997
ThomasJ852997

The Tips and Notes are just wrong here. If placed before the noun (which then looses the definite article), the forms are:

• proximity masculine (singular/plural): acest / acești
  • proximity feminine (s/p): această / aceste
  • distance masculine (s/p): acel/ acei
  • distance feminine (s/p): acea / acele

You use these forms, if you want to emphasize the noun. Usually, though, the pronominal adjective is placed after the noun (which must have the definite article). In this case, the forms are:

• proximity masculine (s/p): acesta / aceștia
  • proximity feminine (s/p): aceasta / acestea
  • distance masculine (s/p): acela / aceia
  • distance feminine (s/p): aceea / acelea

There are also colloquial forms that can be used either standing alone (alea sunt fete - those are girls) or after the noun (fetele alea - those girls), but not before the noun:

• proximity masculine (s/p): ăsta / ăștia
  • proximity feminine (s/p): asta / astea
  • distance masculine (s/p): ăla / ăia
  • distance femine (s/p): aia / alea

Please note:

• all these forms I have listed are just the nominative forms

• the feminine singular forms acestea (asta) /aceea (aia) can be used with a neutral value, e.g. "nu vreau să fac asta" (I do not want to do this)

• the pronominal adjectives of identity can only be placed before the noun (același băiat - the same boy)

• the pronominal adjectives of differentiation can be placed before or after the noun (celălalt băiat / băiatul celălalt - the other boy)

5 months ago