"I have a fountain pen."

Translation:J'ai un stylo plume.

April 11, 2018

This discussion is locked.


What does this have to do with the category "Animals"?


Plume means feather in English. Quite useful when talking about birds... and pens. ;)


I agree. Why am I learning about pens and animal in the same lesson?


Didn't "plume" on its own used to mean fountain pen? I could be wrong, and even if I'm correct, I'm guessing it's a long abandoned term...


It is not that old because I was taught "plume" at school, the derivation of which comes from the time when quill pens were in use (being sharpened feathers dipped into pots of ink). I enquired in an earlier discussion whatever happened to "plume", as I remember the song "La plume de ma tante est dans le bureau de mon oncle, le papier de mon oncle est sur la table de ma tante".


So how do you say quill (pen)? GT got plume d'oie, literally goose feather. Wikipedia just says plume as goose quills are no longer used: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plume_(%C3%A9criture) -- they hyphenate stylo-plume, more formally plume de stylographe?


But plume means feather? What's wrong with stylo fontaine?


Especially since the mouse-over for "fountain" gave "fontaine", but not "plume"! (And "plume" didn't appear in the hint for "stylo" either.)


When "biro" pens weren't invented, le stylo meant fountain pens, n'est pas?


these are generally disappearing, i guess it is good to learn anyway thanks duolingo for all you do


I hovered over fountain because I don't recall seeing this word before, and none of the the selections were available.


The mouse over for "fountain pen" could do with a hyphoned hint instead of gerbe and stlyo separately. It's the first time I have seen this so I put "J'ai un stylo de gerbe" lol.


Seems like a compound noun. Why not 'un stylo de la plume'


Because stylo de la plume sounds as if the pen pertains to the feather. stylo plume is the common compound word, and if you really don't like this construction, you can say stylo à plume which is also correct.


It seems to be an idiom (which is introduced here for the first time).


Can you explain me reasonably, why "plume" is necessary in the translation, even though "le stylo" already means "the fountain pen"?


Depending on the context, "un stylo" could mean " un stylo (à) bille" (ballpoint pen) or "un stylo (à) plume" (fountain pen) or even "un stylo feutre" (felt-tip pen). Anything you can write with and containing ink is called "un stylo".


My dictionary translates a fountain pen as un stylo à encre (and does not give stylo (à) plume as an option). But stylo à encre was not given as an option by DL.


Does not "stylo" as such mean "the fountain pen", while "plume" is defined as: (a) a long, soft feather or arrangement of feathers, or (b) a long cloud of smoke or vapour resembling a feather


Why give us the "hint" of "fontaine" and then mark it incorrect? When is the last time anyone used a quill pen???


This is a very French expression. In Québec, we use « plume fontaine ».


Stylo a encre ... ... according to Collins easy learning French dictionary. Duo not happy with it. ?? See also John Wood`s comment

Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.