"Un chien dort-il autant qu'un chat ?"
Translation:Does a dog sleep as much as a cat?
This is the formal way of asking the question, with a verb-subject inversion. When the subject is something like a dog, it is stated, then is followed by the inversion with the appropriate pronoun:
- Le chien dort-il ? (Is the dog sleeping?)
- La fille dort-elle ? (Is the girl sleeping?)
- Les hommes mangent-ils ? (Are the men eating?)
- Les tortues nagent-elles ? (Are the turtles/tortoises swimming?)
Note that if the correctly conjugated form of the verb ends with a vowel and the pronoun starts with a vowel, -t- will be inserted between the verb and the pronoun for euphony:
- Le garçon mange-t-il ? (Is the boy eating?)
- La baleine marche-t-elle ? (Does the whale walk?)