625 words to know in your target language
So I was scrolling through the fluent forever site and I found this amazing list. These are 625 words that you need to know in your target language.
Here they are in thematic order:
• Animal: dog, cat, fish, bird, cow, pig, mouse, horse, wing, animal
• Transportation: train, plane, car, truck, bicycle, bus, boat, ship, tire, gasoline, engine, (train) ticket, transportation
• Location: city, house, apartment, street/road, airport, train station, bridge, hotel, restaurant, farm, court, school, office, room, town, university, club, bar, park, camp, store/shop, theater, library, hospital, church, market, country (USA, France, etc.), building, ground, space (outer space), bank, location
• Clothing: hat, dress, suit, skirt, shirt, T-shirt, pants, shoes, pocket, coat, stain, clothing
• Colour: red, green, blue (light/dark), yellow, brown, pink, orange, black, white, gray, colour
• People: son, daughter, mother, father, parent (= mother/father), baby, man, woman, brother, sister, family, grandfather, grandmother, husband, wife, king, queen, president, neighbor, boy, girl, child (= boy/girl), adult (= man/woman), human (≠ animal), friend (Add a friend’s name), victim, player, fan, crowd, person
• Job: Teacher, student, lawyer, doctor, patient, waiter, secretary, priest, police, army, soldier, artist, author, manager, reporter, actor, job
• Society: religion, heaven, hell, death, medicine, money, dollar, bill, marriage, wedding, team, race (ethnicity), sex (the act), sex (gender), murder, prison, technology, energy, war, peace, attack, election, magazine, newspaper, poison, gun, sport, race (sport), exercise, ball, game, price, contract, drug, sign, science, God
• Art: band, song, instrument (musical), music, movie, art
• Beverages: coffee, tea, wine, beer, juice, water, milk, beverage
• Food: egg, cheese, bread, soup, cake, chicken, pork, beef, apple, banana, orange, lemon, corn, rice, oil, seed, knife, spoon, fork, plate, cup, breakfast, lunch, dinner, sugar, salt, bottle, food
• Home: table, chair, bed, dream, window, door, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, pencil, pen, photograph, soap, book, page, key, paint, letter, note, wall, paper, floor, ceiling, roof, pool, lock, telephone, garden, yard, needle, bag, box, gift, card, ring, tool
• Electronics: clock, lamp, fan, cell phone, network, computer, program (computer), laptop, screen, camera, television, radio
• Body: head, neck, face, beard, hair, eye, mouth, lip, nose, tooth, ear, tear (drop), tongue, back, toe, finger, foot, hand, leg, arm, shoulder, heart, blood, brain, knee, sweat, disease, bone, voice, skin, body
• Nature: sea, ocean, river, mountain, rain, snow, tree, sun, moon, world, Earth, forest, sky, plant, wind, soil/earth, flower, valley, root, lake, star, grass, leaf, air, sand, beach, wave, fire, ice, island, hill, heat, nature
• Materials: glass, metal, plastic, wood, stone, diamond, clay, dust, gold, copper, silver, material
• Math/Measurements: meter, centimeter, kilogram, inch, foot, pound, half, circle, square, temperature, date, weight, edge, corner
• Misc Nouns: map, dot, consonant, vowel, light, sound, yes, no, piece, pain, injury, hole, image, pattern, noun, verb, adjective
• Directions: top, bottom, side, front, back, outside, inside, up, down, left, right, straight, north, south, east, west, direction
• Seasons: Summer, Spring, Winter, Fall, season
• Numbers: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 30, 31, 32, 40, 41, 42, 50, 51, 52, 60, 61, 62, 70, 71, 72, 80, 81, 82, 90, 91, 92, 100, 101, 102, 110, 111, 1000, 1001, 10000, 100000, million, billion, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, number
• Months: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
• Days of the week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
• Time: year, month, week, day, hour, minute, second , morning, afternoon, evening, night, time
• Verbs: work, play, walk, run, drive, fly, swim, go, stop, follow, think, speak/say, eat, drink, kill, die, smile, laugh, cry, buy, pay, sell, shoot(a gun), learn, jump, smell, hear (a sound), listen (music), taste, touch, see (a bird), watch (TV), kiss, burn, melt, dig, explode, sit, stand, love, pass by, cut, fight, lie down, dance, sleep, wake up, sing, count, marry, pray, win, lose, mix/stir, bend, wash, cook, open, close, write, call, turn, build, teach, grow, draw, feed, catch, throw, clean, find, fall, push, pull, carry, break, wear, hang, shake, sign, beat, lift
• Adjectives: long, short (long), tall, short (vs tall), wide, narrow, big/large, small/little, slow, fast, hot, cold, warm, cool, new, old (new), young, old (young), good, bad, wet, dry, sick, healthy, loud, quiet, happy, sad, beautiful, ugly, deaf, blind, nice, mean, rich, poor, thick, thin, expensive, cheap, flat, curved, male, female, tight, loose, high, low, soft, hard, deep, shallow, clean, dirty, strong, weak, dead, alive, heavy, light (heavy), dark, light (dark), nuclear, famous
• Pronouns: I, you (singular), he, she, it, we, you (plural, as in “y’all”), they.
I just wanted to share this with my favourite language community:)
The words are also already translated into the following languages:
Feel free to post a link to your own list!
Very interesting! I wonder why sheep didn't make it to the animal list. HA HA.
El5, those lists are typically drawn from an algorithm utilizing words most commonly used. The word Sheep simply doesn’t get used often enough.
Thanks Brad. I was trying to be funny - but must have missed the mark. Have a great day!
Great thread Jules, thanks.
I purchased the Japanese list from Fluent Forever before. I can't post the whole thing, as it's a PDF that they sell, but if I have time, I'll add the translations to TinyCards or somewhere, if anyone is interested.
Part 1 - Animals https://tiny.cards/decks/7QX4eFPx/625-japanese-words-part-1
Part 2 - Transportation https://tiny.cards/decks/7QXDB5ct/625-japanese-words-part-2
Unfortunately, you cannot combine pics and text on the front of the cards. So, I have a pic on the front, then English, kanji/katakana (as appropriate), and hiragana on the back.
Just doing these 23 words took a while. This is going to be a very long process. Lol I plan to do this gradually, or I'll never finish.
I have the memory of a goldfish, so if anyone is genuinely interested but doesn't see me adding more, please nudge me.
Feedback welcome, especially on the format. I'd rather hear it now than at 500 words in. :)
That would be lovely! But I think that the people from Fluent Forever won't be happy if you would share a bought list. It's your decision!
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't share the file, as is. But the list of words that you've posted here, and the definitions to them, are all freely available, of course. :)
The document they sell also has lovely illustrations and more info then I think most people would want/need. It's also inexpensive, and I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from supporting them.
But I don't see any ethical issues with sharing the words themselves, as that's simply part of the language. :)
For anyone interested, here is what the pages of the original document look like (examples are in French). https://fluent-forever.com/word-lists/
You can purchase them from https://fluent-forever.com/bundles/ As of this posting, the PDFs are $10 each.
They are not arranged by category, like these lists. They accompany pictures and are chosen so that you can use them to make sentences, which is very cool.
Interesting...I wonder why they chose 625. I have seen top 100, 200, 1000, 2000, 3000 etc.
Thanks for the word advice! It might help me out in the future with my Japanese lessons :D
I am currently creating an Italian version of this on tiny cards. It uses image to Italian word as well as English word to Italian word. Here is the link to the first set https://tinycards.duolingo.com/decks/7ci7pnaf/animali
Thank you so much :)