"Das Schaf geht über den Zebrastreifen."

Translation:The sheep goes over the zebra crossing.

May 4, 2018

This discussion is locked.


Does that mean a place where zebras cross the street, or is that an expression for a striped Cross walk?


    It means a (striped) crosswalk.


    What the heck? Is zebra crossing an actual word used somewhere in the USA that I am not aware off? Never heard of this. I thought it was like a 'deer crossing'! A place that deer frequently travel across a road.


    Ah, just found out. Zebra crossing is a British thing. Crosswalk is what it is called in the USA.


    The sheep goes over the pedestrian crossing.


    Also used in Australia, but usually called a pedestrian crossing.


    But it won't accept crosses the crosswalk as a translation even though that's what it means.


    Crosswalk should definitely be accepted. Report it.


    i find it strange how it basically only uses American English when teaching courses but then suddenly they use a British word but i guess it depends on who contributed to creating the course and what words are correct in their dialect

    • 1033

    It was also probably really tempting to use an English term that is so close to the German one.

    For those Americans meeting this term for the first time, I will further inform you that it is pronounced "zebbra crossing" not "zeebra crossing". My daughter, whose love of things British is somewhat over the top, uses the term here in Canada, but she may be the only non-Brit in North America to do so. :-)


    The pronunciation /zebbra/ is due to the fact that this is how the British pronounce "zebra". In the USA, occasional people use the term "zebra crossing", but of course say /zeebra/ instead of /zebbra/. (Apologies to IPA enthusiasts for using slashes with non-IPA spellings.)


    this is how the British pronounce "zebra".

    Ah no, they don't (all).

    "zebra, Asia, scone" and others are words where the British have two pronunciations for -- you'll hear both "zebbra" and "zeebra", both "Ayzha" and "Aysha", both "scon" and "scown".

    (Though "zebbra" is apparently the more common pronunciation by far in the UK.)

    • 1033

    Fair enough. I wasn't aware it was ever used on this side of the pond.


    02.07.2018 it seems that the "Zebrastreifen" is pronounced wrongly.


    In Australia the generic term would be "pedestrian crossing" or just "crossing" except that there are also other types of crossings. Zebra crossings are also only one kind of pedestrian crossing. They are the type with wide white strips on the black road surface where pedestrians can cross at any time and vehicles must stop. Pedestrian crossings where you have to push a button and wait for the green walk light are not zebra crossings.

    I actually thought "zebra crossing" was from American English until just now where I learned from this discussion that it came from British English.

    In American English are there different terms used to distinguish the two types of crosswalk I described above?


    In America we would say "the cross walk" or possibly (rarely) "pedestrian crossing." I've never heard the term "zebra crossing" before learning about it here. It's not used in the US.


    "Crosswalk" needs to be accepted along with "crossing". The difference is just dialectal, or perhaps individual preference. Both terms are legitimate, and both are common.


    Thanks to the comments I know what zebra crossing is now in English. Is that common in Britain? Other than that, accepting crosswalk would be great.


    In the UK they are always zebra crossings. I wouldn't have understood "crosswalk" if I hadn't read it here... It should accept both, as Norwegian duolingo does.


    There are actually five different types of crossing in the UK - Zebra, Pelican, Puffin, Toucan and Pegasus. Most people don't actually know the difference between most of them though unless they are currently studying for their driving theory test (something we have to do before we can take our practical driving test).

    Zebra crossing is the easy one though. Every 4 year old can show you what a zebra crossing is. It's the one with stripes and no traffic lights.

    The other 4 are generally lumped together as "pedestrian crossing" or simply "crossing".

    My understanding is that it is the same in German and they would call the others "Fußgängerüberweg" - however I am not certain of that. If you know then please correct me!

    • 1033

    Oh now, you can't leave us like this. What do the other names mean? Enquiring minds need to know.


    Pelican = standard traffic light crossing where pedestrians press a button to cross

    Puffin = Pedestrian User Friendly INtelligent crossing = the same but it can tell if the pedestrian walks away instead using sensors (I think is also a bit more clever about the cars too rather than just doing a sequence, think it can skip directions with no-one waiting)

    Toucan = two can cross = cyclists can also ride across without dismounting

    Pegasus = ditto but horse riders and I think the controls are repeated higher up so they're easy to press.

    Hope this helps! I like the graphics on the Pegasus one but haven't actually seen one in real life. Would be a good candidate for a game of I Spy!

    • 1033

    Haha, that sounds like someone got a government grant to come up with those names. I don't know that we have anything other than the "Pelican" type in North America. I also don't know the rules in other jurisdictions, but here in Vancouver, Canada, pedestrians (theoretically at least) have the right of way at any intersection, whether there are lights or lines painted on the road or not.


    The female audio pronounces it like "Zebrastriefen".


    Is "über den Zebrastreifen" Akkusativ singular (for movement from one side of the road to the other) or Dativ plural (the whole action takes place on the crossing)?


    Is "über den Zebrastreifen" Akkusativ singular (for movement from one side of the road to the other) or Dativ plural (the whole action takes place on the crossing)?

    In theory, it could be either.

    In practice, the first interpretation is overwhelmingly more likely.

    (über den Zebrastreifen as dative plural would be "above the crossings", though, not "on the crossing".)


    Thanks for an amazingly quick answer!


    I also confirm that the pronunciation is wrong.


    It didn't accept "The sheep is crossing the crosswalk" which is what it means. We don't have zebras in America. It is a bad translation. Yes, the word is amusing but it doesn't need to penalize me for getting the correct translation.


    You think we have zebras in Britain?

    • 1033

    Sure, they walk back and forth across the streets, taking little children to school. With lollipops. No, wait....

    • 1033

    There, there, you survived with barely any scarring, and you learned something new. Life goes on.


    Nowhere in my dictionary does "Streifen" mean crossing. To be fair, "The sheep goes over the zebra stripes" doesn't make the most sense, but many sentences on Duolingo are gibberish


    That's because the whole word means crossing - it refers to literal black and white stripes painted on the ground. It's like how "stripes" doesn't mean "a flag", but "the Stars and Stripes" does.


    Nowhere in my dictionary does "Streifen" mean crossing.

    You're supposed to look up Zebrastreifen, not Streifen.

    Compound words often have meanings that can't be deduced from the individual words (an airport is not a harbor that floats in the air, for example).


    I'm pretty sure we in UK say 'The sheep uses the zebra-crossing'.


    and I thought that the sheep was jumping over a sleeping zebra awhile the zebra was counting sheep to go to sleep or that the sheep was in a discussion over a zebra's stripes and it's all about a pedestrian crossing that the sheep was going over, that's what I get for thinking, although I could actually write a dissertation of what I thought of thinking outloud. que sera pau hana

    Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.