https://www.duolingo.com/xConni

For the experts out there...

So I'm currently learning German in my school, and so I decided to use Duolingo just to keep me refreshed on things that we learn. But I also wanna learn different languages, and not just use Duolingo for German refreshers. So I'm wondering; should I keep doing what I'm doing? Or should I finish the tree and then start a new one? Thanks for reading.

May 17, 2018

4 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Daoken

I've been studying languages since 2015, I speak 8 languages (all with different levels of fluency) and acquired some experience with time. So I'll presumptuously call me an expert.

You should try first. Some people like to learn just one language at the time or some prefer and also are able to learn two or more languages. You have to find what do you like and which path fits you the best If you are choosing the second path, then here are some tips:

-Motivation: Ask yourself why. Do you really want to learn multiple languages at the same time? Why? This is totally personal so I don't have any words but I can give you my personal motivation.

I just love history, learning about other cultures, ways of thinking and art, so that motivates me to study those languages.But the difference when you are learning multiple languages at the same time is that you beginn to connect some points. Per example: -The similarities between Korean, Japanese and Chinese. (some in grammar some in vocabulary) -The tons of vocabulary that comes from Greek in European languages. - Cultural connections between countries: The historical connection between Greece and Italy. How Peter the Great from Russia introduced tons of french words because he loved Europe and how Pushkin is important for the russian language

This is my motivation, so now you have to find yours

-Focus: Study multiple languages, learn one.

What? How? Let's say your target language is German and the other ones are Korean, Spanish, Russian or Vietnamese. So instead of using the same energy or "active state" in each one, you will stay just in a "passive state" in the other ones.

Let me explain myself

Active State You do some German lessons on duolingo, read the tips, read the comments of important phrases and write them on a notebook (or take a screenshot on your phone). Then you will look for extra learning (YouTube, sites with info of grammar etc.) and do further practice. Watch movies, listen to music, read... just get immersed. If you feel like you are missing something, redo the lesson(s) and look for anything in the discussion board or external resources.

Passive State Just read the tips and do the lessons to get some information about the language, nothing else.

When you "finished" the original target language, you can switch to the next and repeat the process.

-Consistency: Study your target language everyday.

With everyday, I mean EVERYDAY. It is better 15 minutes every day of the week than a 2 hours rush in a Sunday night. You get used with the language and become familiar with the grammar, the sounds, the morphology and so on. Study the other languages regularly, just to refresh the memories

-Persistence and compromise: Don't give up

I'll be honest. Learning multiple languages at the same time can be frustrating. Somedays you feel like you are just wasting time and sometimes you just want to give up( personally I've deleted my progress in some languages several times), but here comes the part of compromise. Remember your motivation and why you started to learn this language and remember how much you have done since the first day, but also keep in mind the compromise that comes with learning a language. It's not just doing some duolingo lessons and some notes. It's also tons of practice and doing some boring stuff like looking pronunciation videos on YouTube or reading grammar books and things like that (well it is not boring if you are a language geek like lots of us here in duolingo :D)

So, be aware of the language you are learning, the difficulty and how much effort it will require. Some may be easy like Spanish or Swedish and some really hard like Mandarin or Polish, therefore the amount of effort will be different. Duolingo will not be enough, some courses may not take even to an intermediate level,thus you will have to do extra work if you want to become fluent.

These are my tips, I hope they work for you.

Have a great learning!

May 18, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/Thomas.Heiss

Please make an OFFLINE backup of your longer great text (RAID5 NAS system, external USB drive) on your local PC just in case the DL discussion forum gets corrupted, thread gets deleted or the blacklist word filter gives error 404 and you can not access this thread anymore.

May 19, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/Jane-German

What language really appeals to you? Which language would give you the most pleasure?

May 17, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/xConni

Thank you to you both for responding so quickly.

JaredvonSchleyer: Thank you for writing that message. I'm sure it was time-consuming, but it really helped me out. I'll take all of your tips that you gave me and put them to use. I liked your idea of having an active language and a passive one; I'll be using that from now on. I'll make German my active language and maybe something more difficult as my passive language.

Jane-German: I really love learning German, because it just comes naturally to me (I also like the accent, because it's almost like every word in German, when you say it, sounds like you're angry :D) I kind of want to learn Finnish, but that isn't on the Duolingo languages to learn, but hopefully they will annex it in the future. But I also want something really challenging, like Polish. But anyways, thanks for adding on to the discussion.

May 18, 2018
Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.