Polyglot - one who can speak many languages

[deactivated user]

Polyglotism or polyglottism is the ability to master, or the state of having mastered, multiple languages. The word is a synonym of multilingualism, but in recent usage polyglot is sometimes used to refer to a person who learns multiple languages as an avocation. The term "hyperpolyglot" was coined in 2008 by linguist Richard Hudson to describe individuals who speak—to some degree—dozens of language.

Multilingualism, including multilingual societies as well as individuals who speak more than one language, is common. Individual polyglots or hyperpolyglots speak, study, or use large numbers of languages. In rare cases, polyglot savants have mental disabilities, but are able to learn many languages.

Most nation states are home to multiple ethnic groups and multiple languages. Likewise, most individuals use more than one language, at least to some extent. Informal surveys suggest that the number of languages spoken in multilingual societies is typically between two and six languages. However, there is a lack of consensus on such numbers due to the lack of shared definitions of multilingualism and the difficulty of differentiating among language varieties.

6 months ago

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/la_ricfoi

I am currently fluent in Dutch and English.

Reasonable in German and improving in Spanish.

I might recall a bit of French and Latin.

Starting in Japanese, Chinese and Lojban while dabbling in Toki Pona.

I will get there... one day at a time.

Currently on the backlog: Bulgarian, Russian, Arabic, and maybe Portuguese or Italian.

6 months ago
    Learn Spanish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.