https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Dessert-Rose

The German Sentence Structure (#2)

Hello everyone!

I found an amazing video from German with Jenny explaining the word order or sentence structure in the German language!

This is part 2 of 4 of her Word Order lessons and it's about questions and how to form them in German.

(I will write down her exact words as far as possible)

[Jenny] Last time I was teaching you the German sentence structure in main clauses, and today I want to talk to you about questions, and how to form a question in German.

It's not that much different from statements but there's one very important difference, and I'll explain what change it is exactly.

So basically there are two ways of forming a question in German.
The first type answers with "Yes" or "No".
So, I'll give you a example: Fährst du nach Berlin? (Are you driving to Berlin?).

(She showed this chart on the screen (below))

1 2
Fährst du
Verb Subject

So this question can either be answered by Ja (Yes) or Nein (No). Are you driving to Berlin? Yes, or No.

So these types of questions always start with the verb (e.g.)Fährst, and they're followed by the subject: (e.g.) du. Fährst du nach Berlin?

So, basically that's all you have to know, and I'll give you a couple of more examples: Ist er zu Hause? (Is he at home?)

So in this question we have Ist which is the verb, it's in the first position, and er which is the subject, it's in the second position, and then you have the rest of the sentence.

1 2
Ist er
Verb Subject

Next example: Sind die Kinder zu Hause? (Are the kids at home?)

So Sind is the verb it's in the first position, die Kinder is the subject, it's in the second position.

1 2
Ist er
Verb Subject

Next example: Fliegst du morgen nach Rom? (Are you flying to Rome tomorrow?)
So we have the verb Fliegst, first position, and du, which is the subject in the second position.

1 2
Fliegst du
Verb Subject

Backst du einen Kuchen? (Are you baking a cake?)
So we have the verb Backst, it's in the first position, and du, the subject, it's in the second position.

Okay, and then there's another type of question that you can ask, and they include question words. There are a couple of question words that I want to teach you first before I go into the sentence structure.
So let's look at those individual question words:

Wo? (Where?)
Woher? (Where from?)
Wohin? (Where to?)
Was? (What?)
Wie? (How?)
Warum? (Why?)
Wann? (When?) Wessen? (Whose?) Wer? (Who?)
Wie viele? (How many?)

[My note: You might like to look at this video from Learn German with Anja describing the difference between wie viel and wie viele.]

Now all you need to remember that when you form a question using one of those question words, you have to place those question words in the first position, and then comes the verb, and then comes the subject.

1 2 3
Question word Verb Subj.

I'll give you a couple of examples: Wo sind sie? (Where are you? - Formal)

So here we have the question word in the first position, Wo, then we have the verb, sind, and then we have the subject, Sie.

Next one: Wohin fährst du? (Where are you driving to?)

So we have the question word Wohin, it's in the first position, fährst is the verb, it's in the second position, and we have du, which is the subject, in the third position.

1 2 3
Wohin fährst du
Question word Verb Subj.

Next one: Woher kommst du? (Where do you come from?)
So we have Woher in the first position, kommst is in the second position, du is in the third position.

Okay? Question word, verb, subject.

Warum bist du zu Hause? (Why are you at home?)
So we have Warum, which is the question word, it's in the first position, bist is the verb, it's in the second position, and du is the subject, it's in the third position.

So you get the idea, how it works. That was basically it, so I'm just gonna sum up what we've learned today, so there's two types of question, the first one starts with the verb and is followed by the subject,

| 1 | | 2 | |:---:|:---:| | (Verb) | + | (Subject) |

and the second type of question starts with a question word, is followed by the verb, and is followed by the subject.

| 1 | | 2 | 3 | |:---:|:---:|:---:| | (Question word) | (Verb) | (Subj.) |

Okay, that was it for today, thank you for joining me. I hope that was helpful, and we'll see eachother next time. Thank you very much.

Have fun! AP4418

Previous Post
Next Post

June 15, 2018

3 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Jileha

You’re putting a lot of effort into these explanations and I’m sure they’re very helpful. And I love your clear formatting! (The last pattern should be 1 | 2 | 3, though, instead of 1 | 2 | 2, right?)

But I would be concerned about copyright infringement. You are basically copying Jenny’s entire material from the videos, everything she says and all her graphics. And I am sure she put a lot of work into the production of her videos. She might not mind, so you could maybe ask her to make sure she’s OK with it.

Anyone who is interested can watch the videos on their own, if you just post the links with your recommendation. And take their own notes and condense the content - which is much more benefitial than just reading through it.

Since you definitely seem to be extraordinary motivated to help others with their struggles, maybe you could post the link to the lessons and come up with some exercises based on their content? Maybe scrambled sentences where people here could try to apply what they’ve learned from the videos. And then later post a second part with the answers. Just a suggestion.

June 15, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Dessert-Rose

Hi Jileha! (Thanks for pointing that out, I edited it.)

I sent her an Email about it and will let you know what she said. If she has a problem with it I will delete the two posts.
Thank you very much for pointion that out though. :D

About the exercises, she has a whole lot of them on her website already, so I would rather just link to them then make my own.

Your idea about the exercises is neat, I nearly considered it!

Regards! (Goodness, that's too formal! ^_^)

EDIT: Jenny said that's is fine, as long as I give the link to the video!

June 15, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Jileha

Yeah! :)

June 15, 2018
Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.